Did you know that only American cops are on a power trip most of the time?

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
I couldn't agree more when my German study-abroad friend came up to me and said, "You know it's only American thing that cops think they're the shit. In Germany, they're very helpful, courteous and polite. They act like they're really there to serve the public."

I really couldn't agree more as I've observed the same growing up in S. Korea. I can't stand the US cops here. I think they all suffer inferority complex from failing to go to college and go on a power trip all day.

I just had a cop ride on my ass because of my failure to yield in a skidding snow storm. He rolled his window down and literally yelled at me- "WTF u think you're doing!?" and drove off.

WTF is their problem?

Your title has been edited for general consumption. The children. You have to think of the children.

Perknose
AnandTech ESM

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i had a power trip run in with some greek train cops

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Other than being harassed by a cop during high school. All of my encounters with the police have been fair and polite. I am from america. Why not go back to korea?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Go give central/south America, most of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Eastern Europe a try.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I have no problems with cops here. People that do are usually doing somthing illegal and get all upset that the cops care (like failing to yield, for example)

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Yeah, I hear those cops in Cuba, Russia, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, Egypt, <continue list forever> are completely the most nicest people your will ever meet. They are so kind and helpful!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
I have no problems with cops here. People that do are usually doing somthing illegal and get all upset that the cops care (like failing to yield, for example)

wtf why do the cops care that i'm going 20mph over the speed limit? they should be out stopping killers.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Cops in Russia are on a power trip that makes American cops look like Ghandi. Not to mention cops in nearly every country in Africa.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0

wtf why do the cops care that i'm going 20mph over the speed limit? they should be out stopping killers.

....its illegal? They're doing their job. They don't pick and choose which crimes it's their job to enforce.

edit: as to the 'stopping killers' remark...believe it or not, not every cop is a detective out solving murder cases. Some are on standard patrol, looking for crimes that are occuring now. In fact, here in PA, pretty much the only job of the state troopers is highway patrol.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Other than being harassed by a cop during high school. All of my encounters with the police have been fair and polite. I am from america. Why not go back to korea?

Why not go back to middle school grammar class?

I wonder if this stems from the way cops are portrayed in movies and stuff. Maybe they feel like they have to be badasses or they're not being a good cop.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

What a lame ass supremist comment. I love US and have immense US pride of my own. That doesn't excuse the cops to act like assholes and me making an observatory comment on it.

I probably pay more taxes than you.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

Exactly! I mean, it's not like car accidents (due mainly to speed) kill people or anything!

Seriously cops do something important!

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
So far all of my encounters with the police have been very polite. They even cut me some slack a ton of times. Even when it came to catching me speed occasionally. I'm not saying it doesn't exist here. I've seen my share of videos and heard stories.

Actually the cop that did that to you, OP, seemed to be a more favorable action than pulling you over and handing money to the state.

I tend to notice that if you make things easier for them, they make things easier for you. Not much difference between that and the retail world in that regard.

That being said, the police in other countries are more loose, but saying one is less "power-hungry" than the other isn't something I've experienced.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: E equals MC2

What a lame ass supremist comment. I love US and have immense US pride of my own. That doesn't excuse the cops to act like assholes and me making an observatory comment on it.

teehee ohhh he's rich! We'd better believe his opinion! That dirty cop yelled at him for breaking the law, when he could have pulled him over and given him a ticket, why can't we be more like Korea and Germany, peaceful, happy nations that they are??

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002

holy crap LOL.

So your answer to why cops abuse their power in the US is to simply "go back to Korea"!!

You should have a white hood for an avatar!

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

wait...what?

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006

teehee ohhh he's rich! We'd better believe his opinion! That dirty cop yelled at him for breaking the law, when he could have pulled him over and given him a ticket, why can't we be more like Korea and Germany, peaceful, happy nations that they are??

Calm down, I was merely stooping down to his juvenile comment he decided to spew.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I guess you've never had to pay off a "transito" in Panama just to not get a ticket.

What a lovely, broad stroke you have there.......

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

....its illegal? They're doing their job. They don't pick and choose which crimes it's their job to enforce.

edit: as to the 'stopping killers' remark...believe it or not, not every cop is a detective out solving murder cases. Some are on standard patrol, looking for crimes that are occuring now. In fact, here in PA, pretty much the only job of the state troopers is highway patrol.

wow the sarcasm blew right over your head ;)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I couldn't agree more when my German study-abroad friend came up to me and said, "You know it's only American thing that cops think they're the shit. In Germany, they're very helpful, courteous and polite. They act like they're really there to serve the public."

I really couldn't agree more as I've observed the same growing up in S. Korea. I can't stand the US cops here. I think they all suffer inferority complex from failing to go to college and go on a power trip all day.

I just had a cop ride on my ass because of my failure to yield in a skidding snow storm. He rolled his window down and literally yelled at me- "WTF u think you're doing!?" and drove off.

WTF is their problem?

tell your friend to go back to France because no one likes his kind?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Thankfully such an attitude never overtook my uncle. He went from undercover narcotics to mounted unit to a desk job. Police on horseback are normally very helpful!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
? That is absurd, other than police states, most cops are decent people. You are going to get bad apples no matter what profession you look at.