Did the speed of light change recently?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MillionaireNextDoor
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Originally posted by: Kalvin00
I've read that quote 3 times and I still have no idea what the fvck it's trying to tell me.
Read the whole article. Much of what we've come to know today was based on that the speed of light is constant.
So?

....The way we measure it is all screwed up.

Interesting idea. The Iron Woode Theory?
Actually what I was getting at was that the accuracy of its measurement was questionable and therefore seemed to change when it was measured by newer methods.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Actually, technically speaking, the speed of light does vary depending on the medium it's travelling through. However, I recall the speed of light in a vacuum as the constant. But... indeed, what if it's not constant?
Well, yes and no. The group velocity can vary depending on medium (either faster or slower than c), but the phase velocity is always constant at c. If you try to modulate a signal, it will always travel less than or equal to c no matter the medium. So you can never send information faster than c.