Did the speed of light change recently?

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Link

A varying speed of light contradicts Einstein's theory of relativity, and would undermine much of traditional physics. But some physicists believe it would elegantly explain puzzling cosmological phenomena such as the nearly uniform temperature of the universe. It might also support string theories that predict extra spatial dimensions.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
I've read that quote 3 times and I still have no idea what the fvck it's trying to tell me.

sillymofo

Banned
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Kalvin00
I've read that quote 3 times and I still have no idea what the fvck it's trying to tell me.
Read the whole article. Much of what we've come to know today was based on that the speed of light is constant.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
Originally posted by: aphex
Did the speed of light changed recently?
No, but apparently the correct usage of the word 'change' did.
Do you Nazis ever take a day off? If the freaking weekend for pete's sake!
If?
It's.... damn it... I don't know why I keep doing that.

you mean:

"It's", damn it! I don't know why I keep doing that.

right?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Twerpzilla
None of this would have happened if we voted for Gore in 01

Didn't he invent the speed of light?

that's what i heard. But then bush thought it was harboring WMDs, the subsequent invasion messed up teh speed.

Twerpzilla

Oct 16, 2001
that's what i heard. But then bush thought it was harboring WMDs, the subsequent invasion messed up teh speed.

But were not the WMD's wisked away to neighboring terrorist countries at the the speed, of, well, light?;)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Read the whole article. Much of what we've come to know today was based on that the speed of light is constant.
So?

The speed of light is constant. The way we measure it is all screwed up.

MillionaireNextDoor

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
So?

....The way we measure it is all screwed up.

Interesting idea. The Iron Woode Theory?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MillionaireNextDoor
If you post this in the highly technical forum, you'll get better responses.

Yeah, the quality of response in ATOT leaves much to be desired. Too bad HT isn't more active though, it would make a great time killer (even for us who cannot really comment on it any further than "Interesting...").

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Actually, technically speaking, the speed of light does vary depending on the medium it's travelling through. However, I recall the speed of light in a vacuum as the constant. But... indeed, what if it's not constant?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Actually, technically speaking, the speed of light does vary depending on the medium it's travelling through. However, I recall the speed of light in a vacuum as the constant. But... indeed, what if it's not constant?
Actually there is quite a scientific debate going on about this.

The claim is now that the medium doesn't matter because light doesn't slow down at all, IE: it is a constant, but that we perceive a slow down of light.

I summed it up as best I could.