Did the people from the TV show "Sliders" ever make it back home?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
I didn't watch a lot of Sliders past, um '98 I think, but didn't they make it home in one ep, but the fence gate was oiled and didn't squeak like it did before so they left? (The mom finally got around to fixing it.) So I thought they made it home, they just didn't stay.

LinuxIdiot

Golden Member
May 20, 2002
I miss that show :( never knew they continued making it!

I seem to remember one episode where they slid into a world they couldnt tell if it was theirs or not and Quinn in his genius said something to the affect, "Let's see if my gate squeaks! It has squeaked my whole life. *No Squeak*....Guess this aint...and as they leave the camera pans to his mom talking to a handyman thanking him for fixing the squeak :Q

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
I hereby nominate yukichigai for Ownage of the Year. Victim - The Fox network. :D

- M4H

Thread Hijack (That You Don't Mind) of the Year too. Interesting editorials.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
I'd like to second or third depending if someone gets a post in before me on both accounts of ownage on fox and the thread hijacking.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Thanks for the great post yukichigai. The reason I was asking this is because I remember liking the few episodes I saw and was wondering if the DVD set was worth buying. I didn't know the show went downhill like that.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Well Jerry doing well on Crossing Jordan.

Kari not doing so well with Numbers.

John Rhys-Davies was in a wheel chair in revelations mini-series recently not looking so hot.

Looks like Jerry doing the best of the bunch.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
John Rhys-Davies was in a wheel chair in revelations mini-series recently not looking so hot.
Umm, are you just looking at TV? Because Rhys-Davies did a movie trilogy not too long ago. Maybe you've heard of it--it was filmed in over three and a half years in New Zealand...

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001

That wasn't Kari Wuhrer on Numbers, it was Sabrina Lloyd.

Oh, and excellent posts yukichigai! Quality rants.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
They actually did but the guy walked through his gate and it didn't squeek like how it did at his house (in his real dimension) so they left. But in actuallity, the mom fixed the gate.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Your synopsis on Sliders makes me cry, but at least I didn't go through the horror of watching the later seasons.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: markgm
I didn't watch a lot of Sliders past, um '98 I think, but didn't they make it home in one ep, but the fence gate was oiled and didn't squeak like it did before so they left? (The mom finally got around to fixing it.) So I thought they made it home, they just didn't stay.
You are quite correct, Sir. They did, in fact, do just that. I won't say which episode it was, since it's in the first two seasons where the episodes were actually decent, but they did get coordinates to go back home. Unfortunately the slide window was only open for about 15 seconds. Quinn checked the gate, found it didn't squeak, and the sliders slid out just before Quinn's mother came out to hear the gardener tell her that he'd just oiled that ol' squeaky gate.

Now in terms of maddening, evil things that networks like to do to show plots, this ranks really freakin' high on my list. I'll try not to go off on a rant here, but seriously, have they learned nothing from the whole conspiracy years of the X-files? People like TV when it resolves issues. This little bit of Sliders was the biggest c%$#tease in the entire series, and while it wasn't the worst bit, it was certainly the most maddening. "Look, you're home but oh wait you don't know that bye!" Why don't you just pee in my cheerios while you're at it?

Now since I'm on the subject of proper plot resolution, let me bring up a TV show which I really think had it right... almost: Strange World. Now here's a show that, at first anyway, doesn't lose itself in the whole conspiracy craze. It was like the first few seasons of the X-files: general weirdness, no deep government conspiracy behind each one (necessarily) and some amusing stuff in the middle. But the best part, the best part, was that the show wasn't afraid to resolve the weirdness in a manner that significantly impacted the world. Mulder discovered new forms of life plenty of times, but each time the feds covered it up. In Strange World if they discovered a new form of life people found out. Some company genetically engineers crops that screw up an entire valley, the world finds out and the company is held accountable. I couldn't believe it; somehow someone had actually realized that not every f%$#ing big business is going to be protected to the hilt by the government/conspiracy/illuminati/your dog who tells you to burn things.

Ah, but all things must come to an end, eh? Suddenly, SciFi caught a little of the conspiracy bug towards the end. Enter Habib Marwan and some Japanese chick, who are feeding the hero some kind of medicine that supposedly prevents him from dying of Super Gulf War Syndrome. It could have been just some company covering its ass, or a foreign power trying to f%$# with what he's doing, or any number of things. But no, instead it has to turn out to be (surprise surprise) some obscure government conspiracy, and instead of getting answers when the issue is addressed we get way more questions when the hero dies. There are only two types of shows that can do that: "magic" shows -- like Angel and Buffy and Charmed -- and Soap Operas. ("Father Brien, I thought you were dead." "I was!") If any of you heard something odd the night of May 10th, 2002, that was the collective sound of everybody watching the Season Finale of Strange World vomiting.

Now the worst part about all this, like I've mentioned, is that the "conspiracy" could have been something much more interesting. You can have running back-plots that don't drive your viewers up the wall. Take a look at the "Bad Wolf" backplot of the new Doctor Who (ooh, that reminds me, I need to download that) or pretty much anything on Lost. Yes, there's something going on in the background we don't understand. Yes, it's probably much bigger and powerful than any of us. But the key point is that we don't know what it is yet. We don't even have any big hints. We don't know if it's evil or not, and thusly we just want to find out what the f%$# is going on. Now in Doctor Who this is no longer true; any of you watching have a pretty good idea what Bad Wolf is. But it's not some horrible long-stretching overbearing conspiracy, it's something that's been there but not really well noticed until someone pointed it out. Lost does that perfectly. After watching the first season, go back and watch the pilot. Look at how Kate keeps rubbing her wrists, or how Locke seems to be amazed by his feet. That is how a conspiracy should be done, because honestly if it's a good conspiracy you won't have the slightest clue until someone makes it patently obvious for you... and likely everyone else in the process.

So what have we learned here? 1) Fox isn't the sole proprietor of idiotic conspiracy plots, (though they are the biggest offender) and 2) Lost and new Doctor Who kick ass.

We now return you to your freshly resurrected thread-jacked thread.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: StormRider
Thanks for the great post yukichigai. The reason I was asking this is because I remember liking the few episodes I saw and was wondering if the DVD set was worth buying. I didn't know the show went downhill like that.
I would say that the first three seasons are worth purchasing, the third only if you get a discount of some kind. (The weirdness with Robert Daltry -- I remembered his name, shazam! -- didn't occur 'till midway through the season, and it was pretty good before that point)

The fourth and fifth are really hit-and-miss, more miss than hit. I would suggest borrowing them from a friend if possible, or maybe renting them from Blockbuster or Netflix. It's highly unlikely you'll want to watch 'em more than once. (Though there were one or two good episodes in season four and a few gems in season five)

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Heisenberg

That wasn't Kari Wuhrer on Numbers, it was Sabrina Lloyd.

Oh, and excellent posts yukichigai! Quality rants.

Ah, so where is Kari these days???
Eerily enough, according to TV.com she's currently on General Hospital, which is only eerie to me since I was about to ramble about that show but changed my mind.

Sabrina Lloyd was doing okay on Numb3rs, but she once again got in a hissy fit over her contract and thusly was not in the last two episodes, nor will she be returning in any way, shape or form for the second season. Seriously, does she want the label of "whiny contract-dispute brat"?

13rian

Feb 26, 2004
*yuki thread spinoffs are like superbowl comercials:thumbsup:.

I watched, like, 8 Slider eps in their first couple seasons and I can't believe that I still remember about the squeeky fence. The other one I recall had huge deadly hornets:eek:.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
heh i was expecting to read about sliders only to read a superb futurama rant

i miss that show so much :(
*clutches his 4 box sets*

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
thx yukichigai always wondered what happened to sliders... I remember watching the prof get killed off and that was the last ep I recall.

AAman

Golden Member
May 29, 2001
ahhh... and then Fox killed Firefly, the show that sounded utterly, completely moronic the first time I heard about it....('Space Western', I thought, Fox is even lamer than I could imagine)

and I was hooked by the dialogue and characters from the moment when I clicked on the channel by accident the night it started.

I give everyone a copy of the box set whenever I can find one cheap, gave my own first copy to my friend the day he left for China, unopened, then got another one of Anandtech

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: 13rian
*yuki thread spinoffs are like superbowl comercials:thumbsup:.

I watched, like, 8 Slider eps in their first couple seasons and I can't believe that I still remember about the squeeky fence. The other one I recall had huge deadly hornets:eek:.

you mean the tarantula wasps? :D