Diablo 3 placebo needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I would go with either D2, Morrowind or Oblivion, or Fallout 3... but not Titan Quest, I'm sorry but I just thought it was boring, you could also consider Sacred 2 (I own and play it regularly), it's not on D2's level of quality and polish, far from that in fact, but on its own it destroys Titan Quest.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I would go with either D2, Morrowind or Oblivion, or Fallout 3... but not Titan Quest, I'm sorry but I just thought it was boring, you could also consider Sacred 2 (I own and play it regularly), it's not on D2's level of quality and polish, far from that in fact, but on its own it destroys Titan Quest.

Well, like I said, I want to try something other than D2. I tried Morrowind something like five years ago and really didn't enjoy it (maybe I didn't give it a fair chance, but even so I'm not going to pick that up again).

I put over 150 hours into Oblivion + expansions - it was great, but I'll never touch that game again. I put over 100 hours into Fallout 3 - even better than Oblivion, but I'm going to wait until they've released ALL the extra packs before I get back into that.

By the way, I really would not call Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 "hack n' slash" games. Doesn't mean they're bad, but not what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I've already ordered both Titan Quest Gold (w/ expansion) and Sacred 2 (Xbox 360).

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
TQ just seemed like one massive grind to me. I mean, obviously diablo is, but at least you level fairly quickly. TQ was rough :(

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: JackSpadesSI
I just ordered Titan Quest and Sacred 2 (Xbox 360). I'll play through Sacred 2 first because my PC is having some issues right now. I bought Titan Quest at the same time because $20 for a game and its expansion seemed too good to pass up.

If you have a chance, cancel Sacred 2 for Xbox 360 and get the PC version. Seriously, the Xbox 360 version is for retards. I have an Xbox 360 and Sacred 2 for it and for PC - no contest! The UI is dumbed down, huge number of bugs and glitches in the Xbox 360 version and it runs like utter crap. Plus basic things from the UI removed (no idea why...). So in short, get the PC version.

Seriously, get the PC version.

Seriously :p

EDIT: It will run just fine on that HD4870 1GB :thumbsup:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I really, really enjoyed playing through Titan Quest + expansion. It's biggest drawback for me is that even with the decent amount of classes I just can't see playing through it beyond once or twice.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
I've seen my friend play Sacred 2 on PC and it looks pretty good. I have a feeling you'll enjoy it more than TQ.

Anyhow, if you clocked in THAT many hours in Oblivion, you'll double that with Morrowind. :p Aside from the graphics, Morrowind is a much better game IMO.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The set maps in Titan Quest are far superior to any random map generator.
You also NEED the expansion. It adds all kinds of stuff to the main game, and also a new class and a new campaign at the end of the first one.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
TQ just seemed like one massive grind to me. I mean, obviously diablo is, but at least you level fairly quickly. TQ was rough :(

ya, the trick is making it not feel like a grind and d2 did that. TQ just feels pointless. I enjoyed Sacred 2 more than TQ, but I got to a point around level 50 where it just rapidly became boring, and that was on LAN.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Originally posted by: Qbah
If you have a chance, cancel Sacred 2 for Xbox 360 and get the PC version. Seriously, the Xbox 360 version is for retards. I have an Xbox 360 and Sacred 2 for it and for PC - no contest! The UI is dumbed down, huge number of bugs and glitches in the Xbox 360 version and it runs like utter crap. Plus basic things from the UI removed (no idea why...). So in short, get the PC version.

Seriously, get the PC version.

Seriously :p

EDIT: It will run just fine on that HD4870 1GB :thumbsup:

I'm sure you're right, but my PC is giving me fits right now. In fact it is such a mess that I'll be posting a question in the General Hardware thread today to get some ideas from people. My "Diablo placebo" itch is pretty bad, so I didn't want to wait to be able to play the PC version.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: wwwdot
i wonder if d3 will be a bot infested spam hole like d2 (bnet)?

it wasn't like that when D2 first came out. i never played the expansion pack but for the first year or so it wasnt bot infested and lame

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000

How the hell was TQ boring? :confused:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: evident
Originally posted by: wwwdot
i wonder if d3 will be a bot infested spam hole like d2 (bnet)?

it wasn't like that when D2 first came out. i never played the expansion pack but for the first year or so it wasnt bot infested and lame

I think their security in D3 will be better, given that Blizzard now has more resources and experience with online play. Also, it will at least be fine for the first year or so, as Evident posted.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: DannyLove

How the hell was TQ boring? :confused:

I dunno how you could think that either, unless perhaps it is too like Diablo that it bores you because you feel like you've already done it.

Titan quest even has the same acts as Diablo...

Act 1 - Normal setting with medium foilage, some caves, etc.
Act 2 - Desert
Act 3 - dense foilage jungle
Act 4 - Underworld (hell)

:p

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Phew
I want a hack n? slash game with a high level cap and randomization on the maps and weapons

NETHACK is your game. 100% random maps, every game, so infinite replayability. No level cap that I know of, although you can 'win' (ascend), but few accomplish that. I came close once, in 100s of hours of play time.

It's perma-death with no save games (not without modding). You can save, but only for the purposes of resuming play later. Once you die, that's it, start over at lvl 1 with a new character.

Oh, it's 2D tile graphics (ASCII graphics if you're really hard-core), keyboard only controls, and no sound. Yet it's the best game I've ever played.

EDIT-Also, single player only.

Play it at nethack.alt.org and other people can watch your games. Plus you run into ghost entries and various cool things.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Dungeon Siege + expansion and/or DS2

Witcher is not as brain-dead as D2 - combat takes timing instead of just click-click-click. Plus a real storyline and complete lack of random weapon/armor drops makes this a much more "RPG" rather than "Hack-n-Slash" like D2.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Dungeon Siege 2 is a much more refined game than DS1. In the first one, it really didn't matter at all what class you chose initially since you could level up any skill and turn a warrior into a wizard, not entirely different from Diablo I actually. They also had an issue with it where it didn't matter if you had actually been to an area, you just had to be the right level to teleport to it. So, if you just ground your way to level 50 in the beginning area you could bypass the entire game by teleporting to the last area.

Dungeon Siege 2 is a longer, better game. The graphics are not that great by today's standards, but it is a lot of fun.

To be honest I can't think of the last time that I was disappointed by a game that had passed through Microsoft Game Studios, and that is one of the few that I can say that about (can't stand WoW or WC3, so Blizzard doesn't get that distinction).

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Denithor
Dungeon Siege + expansion and/or DS2

Witcher is not as brain-dead as D2 - combat takes timing instead of just click-click-click. Plus a real storyline and complete lack of random weapon/armor drops makes this a much more "RPG" rather than "Hack-n-Slash" like D2.

It also has a lot more "action" than d2.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I played the original Diablo for a while, and Diablo 2 for several years on (closed) Battle.net. 6th to hit 99 on US East when Lord of Destruction came out (back then, that actually felt like an accomplishment. Now I just think it was silly to lose hours of sleep over a game... I miss being a teenager ;)). They were very mindless games; click click click, repetitive areas and bosses, etc., but they were an excellent waste of time. The item system (completely random rares, uniques, sets. etc.) is what made the games fun for me.

The original Dungeon Siege seemed very similar to Diablo 2 (IIRC, the item system was almost identical), except you could run around with a party and use power attacks. Having a party wasn't horrible, but I still missed controlling a single character. Power attacks were definitely a nice feature, but it wasn't enough to keep the game from being completely mindless. As far as I can remember, the backstory was pretty lame compared to Diablo / Diablo II (and that's saying something...), but the boss battles were a bit more interesting.

I'm in the same boat now. I still miss Diablo 2, but I can't stand the botfest and outdated graphics. I've played WoW to death, and I'm tired of the endless treadmill. I'm making due with games like L4D, Fallout 3, and The Witcher right now, just waiting for the next great waste of time to come along. After reading this thread, I'll probably read some reviews and either give Titan Quest or Sacred 2 a try.

Edit: I just watched videos for both Titan Quest and Sacred 2. In both, it really looks like you (mostly) focus on a single target at a time, rather than spamming Nova / Firewall / Whirlwind / Multi-Shot / etc. and taking out an entire horde in a few clicks. Is the combat generally slower-paced than Diablo II, or are there massive AoE spells or abilities later in the game? On the other hand, what's the item system like in each game... is it bland, or can you have powerful items with random stats dropping from time to time?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
another vote for Titan quest. Badly underrated game. I put many hours into it.

I'm thinking about getting Sacred 2. Apparently it's pretty good.

Nov 30, 2008
another vote for titan quest...great game and good diablo fix.
I'm unsure of Diablo 3, i just cant get past the cartoonish graphics.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky
Edit: I just watched videos for both Titan Quest and Sacred 2. In both, it really looks like you (mostly) focus on a single target at a time, rather than spamming Nova / Firewall / Whirlwind / Multi-Shot / etc. and taking out an entire horde in a few clicks. Is the combat generally slower-paced than Diablo II, or are there massive AoE spells or abilities later in the game? On the other hand, what's the item system like in each game... is it bland, or can you have powerful items with random stats dropping from time to time?

no way dude. You can spam tons of aoe stuff in sacred2 if you build that way. As for items you can socket rings amulets runes and blacksmith arts in weapons and armor and the are the basic same random uber power drops you are used to. Not only that but if you take enhanced perception as a skill (you get 10 so pick wisely) it increases your chance for powerful drops.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky

no way dude. You can spam tons of aoe stuff in sacred2 if you build that way. As for items you can socket rings amulets runes and blacksmith arts in weapons and armor and the are the basic same random uber power drops you are used to. Not only that but if you take enhanced perception as a skill (you get 10 so pick wisely) it increases your chance for powerful drops.

Indeed, what I called "crowd control" in D2 (being able to kill/target multiple enemies at once, such as with Whirlwind) is certainly possible in Sacred 2, just take the Dryad for instance, with a proper build one can eventually wipe out entire mobs on-screen, even the melee-focused Seraphim can at least target a good 5 or 6+ enemies around her at the press of a button (Pelting Strikes), and so much more. I would say that within all character classes you pretty much have a 50/50 balance between attacking enemies one at a time or being able to attack multiple targets.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
Holy shit I totally forgot about Diablo 1. That game used to be almost Resident Evil status for me - it was an accomplishment if I could spend 10-15 min down in the first dungeon. The Butcher scared the hell outta me so many times. It was awesome once I went back a couple years later and could actually play it. Hellfire was even better.

I did however get spoiled by all the duping and godly items once I got online.