Diablo 3 placebo needed

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
When Diablo 3 was announced last summer it was enough to get me back into Diablo 2 ? mostly for nostalgia?s sake. I played it for about two months and had fun, but I was sad at just now corrupted the game?s economy had become since I left it years before.

Blizzard is being SO stingy with Diablo 3 news and updates that it is driving me crazy. I?m feeling the itch for a fix, but I don?t think I want to go back to Diablo 2. It was (and is) great and all but I need something else? I need Diablo 3. Since Diablo 3 is probably a holiday 2010 release at best (it kills me to admit that) and a Spring 2011 release at worst I need something to tide me over.

I want a hack n? slash game with a high level cap and randomization on the maps and weapons. Platforms I own: PC and Xbox 360. Preferably the game would be at least semi-new. Is Sacred 2 any good?

Please help!

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
Is that a real game?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that replayability is very important. Story and plot can take a backseat to gameplay. I'm not looking for a redefining moment in my life, just some great (mindless) hack n' slash.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Titan quest is a great hack and slash rpg. No random maps as far a I can tell, but more random monster placement.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I've been playing Mount & Blade recently. Very underrated game, in my opinion. It's got kind of an RTS feel with GREAT hack and slash battles in there. Man, there's nothing like a group of 9 mounted knights charging into the ranks of 40 infantry. The graphics aren't the greatest, but it's still all kinds of fun. It's also very moddable and there's a whole slew of mods available for it.

There's a demo, but the real game doesn't get started until after the demo time is up and you get to a high enough level where you can join one of the kingdoms and go to war against another kingdom. There's no storyline to the game...it's a sandbox where you can do mostly anything. Siege castles and fortresses, burn towns to the ground, raid caravans, kill farmers, steal cattle...good stuff.

Danwar

May 30, 2008
titan quest + expansion

its basically diablo 2 with prettier graphics set in ancient greek/egyptian/chinese mythology with a ton of classes to choose to play as.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I had more fun with Titan Quest than Diablo 2, although it does not have random maps like the latter. It is a heck of a lot of fun however. I think I will go back and start playing it again.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
Another vote for Titan Quest, great game for getting that fix.

Yet another vote for Titan Quest as well.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I enjoyed Titan Quest also. Best part is if you already played D2, you already know 99% of the keys to hit.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I played Titan Quest a lot before re-installing Windows. I got to Egypt after like 20 hours, didn't seem that quick. Now I don't want to start over, but I did like the game.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
TQ is alright for a weekand lan but its no long term substitute. I got back into WoW recently, its all casualized now but its probably as good as it gets until d3.

Phew

May 19, 2004
I want a hack n? slash game with a high level cap and randomization on the maps and weapons

NETHACK is your game. 100% random maps, every game, so infinite replayability. No level cap that I know of, although you can 'win' (ascend), but few accomplish that. I came close once, in 100s of hours of play time.

It's perma-death with no save games (not without modding). You can save, but only for the purposes of resuming play later. Once you die, that's it, start over at lvl 1 with a new character.

Oh, it's 2D tile graphics (ASCII graphics if you're really hard-core), keyboard only controls, and no sound. Yet it's the best game I've ever played.

EDIT-Also, single player only.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Titan Quest if you're into single player or minimal online play.

WoW if you're into the social aspect of the game.

I played D2 extensively back when it was released and for probably about 2 years. I find that WoW is very similar to D2 in terms of playstyle and leveling. Pick the class you like and go for it (I think all D2 classes are represented in WoW now).

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Titan Quest hands down for a quick fix. It can be long term if you decide to roll other classes. Or if you are interested in collecting all those sets and rare items. Google TQ Vault for a cool 3rd party program that allows you to move your inventory to an endless one, making sure you keep all your rare drops if you decide to roll a new class, you'll have the sets for it.

I played TQ for a quick weekend fix, sadly, I got distracted with BF2 so it was a rather short fix for me. But the game is simply awesome compared to D2. All this is single player wise.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
sacred2 looks wonderful, doesn't take itself seriously, tons of complexity into character development, hardcore mod and a huge map.

JackSpadesSI

Jan 13, 2009
I just ordered Titan Quest and Sacred 2 (Xbox 360). I'll play through Sacred 2 first because my PC is having some issues right now. I bought Titan Quest at the same time because $20 for a game and its expansion seemed too good to pass up.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
Titan Quest looks and plays like D2, but it doesn't have that same feeling. In other words, you won't find yourself losing track of time.

Morrowind will be a perfect fix.