Diablo 3: Auction house to accept real cash

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Off on a bit of a tangent, but this could well be a major direction the world takes in the future. As basic needs become more and more automated due to technology and robots, traditional jobs are going to be harder and harder to find. 500 years from now a rich 5% of the population might be professional workers, while the remaining majority will make their money working in online virtual realities.

keyed

Feb 21, 2001
Do you think that Blizzard could give an item bonuses that only apply to the discoverer? That would make found items more valuable than bought ones.

A further thought would be that they could implement a skill that increases/multiplies the bonus.

I could see hardcore players item farming to maximize stats. And when websites put up final builds that include the skill, casual players will follow. A person who would buys an item to save/maximize their time will definitely follow a web build.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Do you think that Blizzard could give an item bonuses that only apply to the discoverer? That would make found items more valuable than bought ones.

A further thought would be that they could implement a skill that increases/multiplies the bonus.

I could see hardcore players item farming to maximize stats. And when websites put up final builds that include the skill, casual players will follow. A person who would buys an item to save/maximize their time will definitely follow a web build.

Sounds like a good idea. Send it into Blizz! They might have already thought of it already though.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000

That makes no sense from a business perspective, and the whole cash AH is obviously completely about that. If items are more powerful when found, then people will have more of a reason to avoid items from the AH, and therefore less likely for Blizzard to collect its fees.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The whole cash auction house seems to be another step towards taking the traditional elements of skill/time invested in a game as determining factors in how the game rewards you to mimicking real life where cash is king. I have always played games as a break from whats going on in RL and rather enjoyed that time/skill were really the determining factors in how well you do in a game so I dont care for this latest and most determined intrusion yet of the cash is king principle into the gaming world.

I tend to disagree in that sense. Skill is completely separate from time spent gathering gear, and I can argue that it is far more annoying to have gear be the determining factor to success rather than skill. There are those who can put in the time to play a game, and there are those who can put in the money. What's the real difference here besides your own opinion on what's "right" and what's "wrong" besides blizzard making a few more bucks?

Having the ability to even the playing field so that skill is the ONLY factor is much more enjoyable for many people. How many times do kids talk shit to you when they beat you in a game because they have all the time in the world but you don't? Mildly annoying to say the least.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I tend to disagree in that sense. Skill is completely separate from time spent gathering gear, and I can argue that it is far more annoying to have gear be the determining factor to success rather than skill. There are those who can put in the time to play a game, and there are those who can put in the money. What's the real difference here besides your own opinion on what's "right" and what's "wrong" besides blizzard making a few more bucks?

Having the ability to even the playing field so that skill is the ONLY factor is much more enjoyable for many people. How many times do kids talk shit to you when they beat you in a game because they have all the time in the world but you don't? Mildly annoying to say the least.

Farming the gear is a skill, like it or not. What you are really trying to say is that you don't think that skill is important, but other examples of skill are important.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Farming the gear is a skill, like it or not. What you are really trying to say is that you don't think that skill is important, but other examples of skill are important.

Meph farming is skill? No, it's so simple you can have a bot do it for you. Farming is a time sink, plain and simple. The only "skill" required is to have the ability to not get bored doing the same thing 5 hours a day.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Meph farming is skill? No, it's so simple you can have a bot do it for you. Farming is a time sink, plain and simple. The only "skill" required is to have the ability to not get bored doing the same thing 5 hours a day.

It's part of the game. In DOTA style games, it's a much more obvious skill because everyone is limited to the same level of farming and the most efficient farmers are rewarded obviously and immediately. In an MMO or diablo type game, I agree it's rather brainless and simple but it is still part of the game, regardless. Depending on your strategy or methods you might farm much faster than another player. Or slower.

In DOTA games, it's obvious the effect farming has, when some super farmed carry easily destroys you or your whole team. Yet it does indeed require skill, otherwise everyone in every game would just "farm to win". It doesn't work like that. In other games where you don't directly observe the farming, it's less skill intensive. More time spent at farming gets you better gear. Sorta like more practice at PvP makes you better at it.

Practicing pvp to increase that skill is valid in your opinion, while spending more time farming better gear is not a valid strategy. Why?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It's part of the game. In DOTA style games, it's a much more obvious skill because everyone is limited to the same level of farming and the most efficient farmers are rewarded obviously and immediately. In an MMO or diablo type game, I agree it's rather brainless and simple but it is still part of the game, regardless. Depending on your strategy or methods you might farm much faster than another player. Or slower.

In DOTA games, it's obvious the effect farming has, when some super farmed carry easily destroys you or your whole team. Yet it does indeed require skill, otherwise everyone in every game would just "farm to win". It doesn't work like that. In other games where you don't directly observe the farming, it's less skill intensive. More time spent at farming gets you better gear. Sorta like more practice at PvP makes you better at it.

Practicing pvp to increase that skill is valid in your opinion, while spending more time farming better gear is not a valid strategy. Why?

You're comparing apples and oranges. "Farming" in DOTA is the whole game, you win or lose games because of it. Diablo online is persistent and farming is nothing more than a chore to get gear so you can do whatever you want to do, whether its farming better or pvp better.

The only similarity in the two is the name "farming" and they're both "part of the game". So what you said has absolutely no relevance to diablo's farming at all. Just because the requirement to farm is part of the game doesn't make it a strategic or require any sort of skill.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
The only similarity in the two is the name "farming" and they're both "part of the game".

That is pretty much everything right there. If something is "part of the game", and you want to be the best, you need to do that thing the best too. Sure, you can ignore farming and possibly do well enough just by trying extra hard at other aspects of the game, but you shouldn't cry and complain when someone else comes along and farms better than you and beats you.

If you don't like farming, gear, or progression, you probably should not be playing an RPG.

edit: And it does require skill. Obviously it does, otherwise everyone would have heroic tier 23 8 piece sets in world of warcraft, when really only a small percentage of players ever get the best gear in the game while it is still relevant.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
That is pretty much everything right there. If something is "part of the game", and you want to be the best, you need to do that thing the best too. Sure, you can ignore farming and possibly do well enough just by trying extra hard at other aspects of the game, but you shouldn't cry and complain when someone else comes along and farms better than you and beats you.

Um ok. Thats what the auction house is for. Doesn't even have to be IRL cash related either. You farm to get gear, you buy gear off auction house. Same. Thing. What's so hard to understand here? Are you talking about BOP items from wow? If Diablo3 has BOP items vastly superior to BOE ones then I'll agree with you. Until then your point is moot.

If you don't like farming, gear, or progression, you probably should not be playing an RPG.

That's your opinion.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Um ok. Thats what the auction house is for. Doesn't even have to be IRL cash related either. You farm to get gear, you buy gear off auction house. Same. Thing. What's so hard to understand here?

I agree with this. This is an example of strategy when farming gear. It doesn't make sense to farm gear for 5 hours in game if 1 hour of RL work gives you enough money to buy that gear.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009

I dont believe I said anything about the AH being "right" or "wrong", I simply like that games have so far dealt in the one currency everyone has the exact same of, and that is time. If there is a more even playing field possible i cant think of one. The higher the game ranks in your priority list the more time you will devote to it. Money on the other hand equates to time very differently for different people and spending an extra $50 for one person may represent a huge investment, while for others it represent something they could throw away without missing. One of the things I find enjoyable about online gaming is that people are not judged on the same criteria they are when you deal with people face to face. Making money a factor in game advancement is slowly bringing the socioeconomic standing into the gaming world as a discriminatory factor, and I would rather not see that happen.

As for skill, an increase in skill usually results in having to spend less time for the same results. I use the word "skill" in a very general terms. For a game like diablo you usually dont need super fast reaction or super precise mouse movement skills to do alright, but knowing where to farm, having a decent build are much more important skills (even if you just look these things up online and copy others there are plenty of people who dont do even that) Games tend to have very low skill requirements to enjoy yourself so that they can appeal to a very broad customer base, but I cant think of a game that dosnt offer something for people with more skill.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
dbm0T.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Game to pirate on day 1. That is what Blizzard should of just said.
If it requires activation and always-on internet, you wont be pirating it on day 1. Its gonna take a while for those master hackers to work through that.
Day 2 probably.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
If it requires activation and always-on internet, you wont be pirating it on day 1. Its gonna take a while for those master hackers to work through that.
Day 2 probably.

Depends on how much of the monster AI / skill mechanics / item database / core gameplay is actually client side or not.

Might be awhile / never before you get to play the game they've released as an offline only experience.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
On a related note, crimson alliance, a diablo type game, dropped on XBLA.

Unlike most games of this sort, you can't sell your loot to vendors for gold. What you CAN do however, is buy gold with Microsoft points. Gee, I wonder if that's related?

A perfect example why you don't want to mix real money and virtual money. It corrupts the game.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
On a related note, crimson alliance, a diablo type game, dropped on XBLA.

Unlike most games of this sort, you can't sell your loot to vendors for gold. What you CAN do however, is buy gold with Microsoft points. Gee, I wonder if that's related?

A perfect example why you don't want to mix real money and virtual money. It corrupts the game.
The fix to this? Don't support games that impliment business practices like this.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
@Barfo that comic is hilarious.

I can already envision this... Man buys relic plate armor > accidentally drops it on the ground > random in-game player takes it as his own stash > man shotgun to the mouth > ATOT

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Wow...

Professional Gamer soon will be a valid occupation if the D3 commerce is high.

:\

Man and this is why the world will end in 2012...

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Wow...

Professional Gamer soon will be a valid occupation if the D3 commerce is high.

:\

Man and this is why the world will end in 2012...

Pretty sure we were already doomed when people like the Kardashians became rich and famous.

As for the real money thing in D3. Earlier I was against it. I don't like real money influencing a game's economy, because it usually screws it up.

As others have pointed out, however, paying real money for in-game items has been around for a while. At least this should reduce scamming.