Diabetes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
The only operation that could cure T2DM is a Carb-ectomy. No such surgery to cure DM exists... Maybe a lobotomy?

Jul 27, 2020
The diet I'm on right now is agreeing very well with me. On Day 1, I eat a handful of pistachios and walnuts at around 4 P.M. For dinner, I drink 500mL of low fat camel milk. On Day 2, I fast till 4 P.M. and can eat basically whatever I want but I'm restricting myself to nuts and camel milk and some brownie icecream (hard to resist that) and next day, repeat the Day 1 routine of fasting till 4 P.M. This gives my body the break it needs to do the necessary repairs through phagocytosis. My symptoms have improved considerably. Wish I had known about this 3 years ago when I was struggling like crazy to bring my glucose level under control. This is intermittent fasting and anyone can do it, even healthy people to prolong their lives:

Day 1: Fast till a set time and eat as less as you can within an 8 hour period

Day 2: Fast till a set time and again eat within an 8 hour period as much as you need to fulfill your caloric needs (don't over eat)

Do this for a few days and you will forget why you ever needed to have breakfast in the morning. You will feel more mental clarity than ever before and you will surprisingly have the energy to do whatever you want. All it takes is the courage to take the plunge and find out for yourself.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
The diet I'm on right now is agreeing very well with me. On Day 1, I eat a handful of pistachios and walnuts at around 4 P.M. For dinner, I drink 500mL of low fat camel milk. On Day 2, I fast till 4 P.M. and can eat basically whatever I want but I'm restricting myself to nuts and camel milk and some brownie icecream (hard to resist that) and next day, repeat the Day 1 routine of fasting till 4 P.M. This gives my body the break it needs to do the necessary repairs through phagocytosis. My symptoms have improved considerably. Wish I had known about this 3 years ago when I was struggling like crazy to bring my glucose level under control. This is intermittent fasting and anyone can do it, even healthy people to prolong their lives:

Day 1: Fast till a set time and eat as less as you can within an 8 hour period

Day 2: Fast till a set time and again eat within an 8 hour period as much as you need to fulfill your caloric needs (don't over eat)

Do this for a few days and you will forget why you ever needed to have breakfast in the morning. You will feel more mental clarity than ever before and you will surprisingly have the energy to do whatever you want. All it takes is the courage to take the plunge and find out for yourself.
What in the serious fuck are you talking about? You're talking about only eating nuts, lowfat milk, and ice cream, and calling it healthy?

For the love of god the only mental clarity you're achieving is your brain starting to hope you're going to pass into the next realm of life because you're starving it of every nutrient you need.

Yes, fasting and intermittent fasting works for some people. Yes, you still need to address your basic nutrients and caloric needs. No it is not a miracle

Jul 27, 2020
What in the serious fuck are you talking about? You're talking about only eating nuts, lowfat milk, and ice cream, and calling it healthy?
I never said that it is a healthy diet but it is working well for me. I don't feel starved. The miracle is the intermittent fasting. You can choose foods that you like, healthy or unhealthy but as long as you restrict your eating to 8 hour periods and keep your calorie intake to minimum on alternate days, your body will thank you. We have been brainwashed to think that we need 3 square meals a day. As I have found out, that's the biggest lie. I drank only water for 4 days and on the 5th day, I was literally running 15 minutes to the closest McDonald's to celebrate and anyone seeing me run that fast would never have guessed that I had been without food for 4 days. Our bodies are remarkably able to deal with prolonged periods of fasting.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I picked it up a couple years ago.
Sucks ass.

I try to eat healthy, but even so it seems to be progressing. Got neuropathy in my feet, I hate it. And my vision is blurry for about 10 minutes after I wake up every morning.
I feel tired at random times of the day. And of course I'm always thirsty.

Its my fault for eating poorly after I left the Navy. And then there were those years between college and finding a job where I was seriously depressed, so I didnt care about my diet. Or physical activities. My advice to anyone and everyone is get on top of your depression ASAP. It leads to other problems. You may need a psychiatrist. You may need SSRI's. But do something. Dont just sit around feeling sorry for yourself. It gets worse.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I never said that it is a healthy diet but it is working well for me. I don't feel starved. The miracle is the intermittent fasting. You can choose foods that you like, healthy or unhealthy but as long as you restrict your eating to 8 hour periods and keep your calorie intake to minimum on alternate days, your body will thank you. We have been brainwashed to think that we need 3 square meals a day. As I have found out, that's the biggest lie. I drank only water for 4 days and on the 5th day, I was literally running 15 minutes to the closest McDonald's to celebrate and anyone seeing me run that fast would never have guessed that I had been without food for 4 days. Our bodies are remarkably able to deal with prolonged periods of fasting.
You are brainwashed into thinking that not eating for four days and then eating mcdonalds on the fifth day is a healthy way of living.

I completely agree that eating 3 meals a day is something we've been conditioned to do, mostly by corporate timelines, and that intermittent fasting has it's place and even has benefits for cellular regeneration, but saying that not eating for multiple days and then pounding a 3000 calorie happy meal is healthy and your anecdotal evidence that you "ran ultra fast to mcdonalds" means you have energy is shortsighted at best, and dangerous at worst.

Reactions: Pohemi
Jul 27, 2020
You are brainwashed into thinking that not eating for four days and then eating mcdonalds on the fifth day is a healthy way of living.

I completely agree that eating 3 meals a day is something we've been conditioned to do, mostly by corporate timelines, and that intermittent fasting has it's place and even has benefits for cellular regeneration, but saying that not eating for multiple days and then pounding a 3000 calorie happy meal is healthy and your anecdotal evidence that you "ran ultra fast to mcdonalds" means you have energy is shortsighted at best, and dangerous at worst.
Sigh. I never said eating Mcdonalds is healthy. If I had never done that 4 day fast before and someone had told me that I could still run after 4 days, I wouldn't have believed that. The point was, our body is amazing. Don't underestimate it. Give it the space it needs to heal. Fasting is one of the best ways to help your body and intermittent fasting is the best as it lets you have your cake and eat it too. You only go without food for just 16 hours a day which is quite manageable.

Jul 27, 2020
I picked it up a couple years ago.
Sucks ass.

I try to eat healthy, but even so it seems to be progressing. Got neuropathy in my feet, I hate it. And my vision is blurry for about 10 minutes after I wake up every morning.
I feel tired at random times of the day. And of course I'm always thirsty.

Its my fault for eating poorly after I left the Navy. And then there were those years between college and finding a job where I was seriously depressed, so I didnt care about my diet. Or physical activities. My advice to anyone and everyone is get on top of your depression ASAP. It leads to other problems. You may need a psychiatrist. You may need SSRI's. But do something. Dont just sit around feeling sorry for yourself. It gets worse.
You can use 250mg Gymnema Sylvestre and 500mg Berberine before meals to control your post prandial glucose levels. Don't use Berberine for more than three months straight. Gymnema Sylvestre helps to regenerate pancreatic beta cells slowly so you can keep using it. Try to avoid animal products other than milk. Animal food eaters have a 50% higher chance of getting Diabetes. Cut back on the carbs and eat more green vegetables. Avoid fried food like the plague. Things should get better. You have to do your ultimate best. Trust me, you don't want to look at nephropathy and retinopathy down the line. Once that happens, your days are numbered.

KeepMoving

Aug 12, 2016
Type 2 diabetes is a reversible condition by simply doing a water fast for 3 straight days, most of your numbers will be back in the normal range and if you keep fasting as part of your lifestyle, you will no longer be insulin resistant.

Here's a link to some research on how to reverse type 2 from Newcastle University. They used a VLCD in this research, very low calorie diet, or 500 calories max a day.

The basic summary of the research is that fasting pulls fat from your liver and pancreas first. This is important because these organs have receptors on them that identify how much glucose you have in your blood stream. A small reduction in your calorie count per day will not activate the same mechanism.

Here are my fasting tips (copy and past from my last post)
1. If you can do a 3 day water fast, you will lose all cravings and your stomach will shrink making it easier to switch to a new eating routine.
2. Keeping yourself busy. This is probably the most overlooked part of fasting. If you have nothing to do, you will think about food. Your brain is always looking for something to stimulate it and if you have nothing to do, you will think about food to get the dopamine hit. That's why humans feel boredom, it's your brain craving the dopamine. Go outside for a walk, join a gym class, learn a new skill, take the kids to the park, get a dog, and anything else to keep you busy.

What I like about fasting is that it saves you money and there's nothing anyone can sell you on. There are no supplemental pills, meal packages delivered to your door, juicing blenders, breakfast as the most important meal of the day, protein bars, or etc.

The line “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” was invented in the 19th century by Seventh Day Adventists James Caleb Jackson and John Harvey Kellogg to sell their newly invented breakfast cereal.