DHL just "attempted delivery" without knocking or ringing the doorbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've been at home making dinner for the last two hours, and I decided to check the tracking for a package I'm waiting for. Apparently, the driver "attempted delivery" at 5:15 p.m. but found that no one was home.

That's strange, becuase I've been home for the last two hours and didn't hear a single knock. There's not even a "missed delivery" slip at my door. I'm thinking that the driver didn't even get out of his truck. I just got off the phone with a DHL rep who said he'd try to send the driver by again, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I've read other threads by ATOTers who said the delivery person never knocked, but I never thought it was a real phenomenon. Now I know that there really are some good delivery drivers and some bad ones.

DHL = :thumbsdown:

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
That happened to me before and they actually did send the driver back and he apologized.

Maybe I got lucky?

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
It's not specific to DHL, Fedex/UPS also has these problems, depends on the delivery driver in your area...

archiloco

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2004
that sucks.....i had a UPS driver actually throw something to my front door. like a freaking paper boy....good thing it was only some cables. but still. i ran out and saw the UPS truck speed away. i must of looked like those natives in the movies that are just shaking fist in air.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
That sucks... Hopefully they will send the driver back. Luckily I've gotten to know most of the delivery people. Haven't had any problems at all :D

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Did he leave it somewhere? If I get a package and I'm not home I usually find it in my garage.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
I've been at home making dinner for the last two hours, and I decided to check the tracking for a package I'm waiting for. Apparently, the driver "attempted delivery" at 5:15 p.m. but found that no one was home.

That's strange, becuase I've been home for the last two hours and didn't hear a single knock. There's not even a "missed delivery" slip at my door. I'm thinking that the driver didn't even get out of his truck. I just got off the phone with a DHL rep who said he'd try to send the driver by again, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I've read other threads by ATOTers who said the delivery person never knocked, but I never thought it was a real phenomenon. Now I know that there really are some good delivery drivers and some bad ones.

DHL = :thumbsdown:

You're basing an entire company with thousands of employees over a single isolated incident that's not even resolved yet involving one driver?

Fair I'd say.

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Did he leave it somewhere? If I get a package and I'm not home I usually find it in my garage.
Nope - DHL tells me, "Delivery Attempted. Will attempt again next business day." My garage is closed and there's no sticky note on the door to indicate that the delivery person was even here.

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Syringer
You're basing an entire company with thousands of employees over a single isolated incident that's not even resolved yet involving one driver?

Fair I'd say.
DHL, FedEx, and UPS all base their advertising campaigns and corporate images on quick, expedient and helpful service.

I am 100% positive that the driver didn't knock on my door. Nor did he leave a sticky note indicating an attempt to deliver the package. Yet DHL's tracking info shows that it WAS attempted.

I don't care what DHL's thousands of employees are like. Having one bad experience ruins my impression of the company.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

Fair I'd say.
DHL, FedEx, and UPS all base their advertising campaigns and corporate images on quick, expedient and helpful service.

I am 100% positive that the driver didn't knock on my door. Nor did he leave a sticky note indicating an attempt to deliver the package. Yet DHL's tracking info shows that it WAS attempted.

I don't care what DHL's thousands of employees are like. Having one bad experience ruins my impression of the company.

maybe he knocked on the WRONG door? Is your place clearly labeled?

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: BCYL

Fair I'd say.

maybe he knocked on the WRONG door? Is your place clearly labeled?
Yes, it is. I live in a multi-unit dwelling, and the front door of my residence is in an interior hallway. Each door has the number clearly marked on it.

D

Deleted member 4644

If you live in a multi-unit, and the main door is not your door, they sometimes give up if they cannot easily find a way in. Is that possible it happened?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've had FedEx Ground do this. 4:30 - attempted delivery - could not deliver. Reason: Office closed. Apparently I didn't get the memo that we could knock off early?

Good thing I DID get the memo that FedEx intentionally delays non-overnight shipments that would arrive overnight due to short distances, but they should just come out and say that.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
DHL does that at my office all the time. They don't ring the doorbell or try the door. They just leave a tag and when I call to get them to come back, they don't. Had two packages go back to the sender after one failed delivery attempt.

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: LordSegan
If you live in a multi-unit, and the main door is not your door, they sometimes give up if they cannot easily find a way in. Is that possible it happened?
The front door is unlocked and my door is easy to find. I've had hundreds of packages delivered to this address before. You'd have to be ridiculously stupid to not find a way in.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I have had a bad experience with DHL, but I have never had much of an issue with UPS.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: archiloco
that sucks.....i had a UPS driver actually throw something to my front door. like a freaking paper boy....good thing it was only some cables. but still. i ran out and saw the UPS truck speed away. i must of looked like those natives in the movies that are just shaking fist in air.

LOL.

You should have chucked a spear at him.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
On several occaisions our UPS driver has indicated that a delivery attempt was made when he was never even at our house. They use that little trick when they're running behind.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: archiloco

Yeah, we had that problem too, except the bastard hit my dog. I was just coming back to teh door to let my dog in. I hear the dog whine and then a thud. I look out and see the package rolling down our front stairs and my dog huddled in the corner and the UPS guy speeding off. I was so pissed off. I had no proof that he hit my dog...but I called in and said the driver threw my package and the contents were damaged. (Many pills for my grandpa's perscription in the box were broken). When the man came back, he delivered the packagea week or so later and said something sarcastic at me about my dog...I thought I was going kill him.

Status
Not open for further replies.