Dexter and House, what do they have in common.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
To have entertainment you need drama, to have drama you need conflict. A main character being an asshole creates conflict which creates drama which is entertaining.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've been watching a lot of things lately, and neither of those are on my list.

I guess it's just me maybe.

May 11, 2008
To have entertainment you need drama, to have drama you need conflict. A main character being an asshole creates conflict which creates drama which is entertaining.

Well, it is sure is me that i do not like drama.
Soap series for example bore me to death. Being difficult for being difficult is the worst trait that could be passed on in humans...

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Well, it is sure is me that i do not like drama.
Soap series bore me to death. Being difficult for being difficult is the worst trait that could be passed on in humans...

Drama is life, if not done stupidly like a lame reality show. Reality shows have always been lame, they are not real of course, anything that is staged for TV was never a reality show.

It seems to have set up the Drumpf state of mind to begin with. He's like a guy running for office saying I'll rebuild the US with Lego crap, and sit back and laugh like Cheney if he gets elected.

I prefer Game of Cards lately for that type of thing, still way behind.

That is a lot of devious things there.

Had been watching The Good Wife for a long time, I think I still need to watch the last one.

Game of Thrones have been looking forward too again, just because of course.

My wife still watches one "Soap", more power to her I guess.

Sorry if I got too political, people seem to shove it in every where these days.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
I predicted Trump will not be president (In the ATOT prediction thread). But maybe i was wrong. I do am afraid for a kneejerk response from Trump and advisors (remember Wolfowitz ?) when isis becomes weaker and will resort to al qeada methods...

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I watched all seasons of House and recently i started with Dexter. I am now at season 2 of Dexter and i noticed he is becoming more of an asshole. Just ass House did. What is it with the screenwriters to make the main character go down hill ?

I have just started binge watching House & sorry but the man is brilliant but he is an asshole right from the start IMHO. Sorry but I know a lot of Doctors in real life & even the worst, most egotistical surgeons don't hold a candle to this guy :)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Sometimes the opposite happens. A character goes from one dimensional caricature to fully fleshed out. Higgins on Magnum P.I. is a good example. As the seasons went on, and I got to know him and his background, he became my favorite character. He had that same gentlemen warrior thing Capt. Picard embodied so well.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have just started binge watching House & sorry but the man is brilliant but he is an asshole right from the start IMHO. Sorry but I know a lot of Doctors in real life & even the worst, most egotistical surgeons don't hold a candle to this guy :)
Most shows are just updates of old shows. When it is not a blatant remake like Hawaii Five 0. I think House is just Quincy M.E. updated.

And here's hoping that someday you don't need the services of those Dr's anymore, and you can be given a clean bill of health!

Mar 11, 2004
I found the Rita character not really annoying, she is a sweetheart.
She tries to protect her kids and has some emotional luggage from her previous idiot husband. Her mother and her husband
are the explanation for her being a sort of bipolar in emotional behavior. Not easy to cope with i guess but maybe worth it in the end.

Breaking bad i still have to see. Everybody says it is great, but i found the first two episodes to be boring. But my colleague mentioned it gets better after a few episodes.

I never really had a problem with Rita, but other discussions about the show a bunch of people complained about her (and if I remember correctly the shows writers even acknowledged a lot of complaints about her). People basically just labeled her a nagging bitch character and hated her for some odd reason.

It is worth a watch but yeah after the hype you might be in for disappointment. It gets better, and while I think it is a very good show, it has significant flaws that people just ignore (while similar things in other shows they'll act like ruin those shows). I think the best thing it did was have a clear plan for the story and not padding out just because it was popular.

Which plot hole for which show?

Dexter
At the end of season 1 when Dexter and his brother are in the room with Deb, she wakes up and hears them and so she knows what Dexter is at that point. They just outright ignore it until the end of the 2nd to last season, when she finds him and then suddenly remembers that again. It was such a glaring plot hole that just got glossed over and then forgotten when it basically unraveled the entire story especially considering the characters and plot lines. They tried to have her have a foggy memory in season 2 but it was still just dumb and to me clearly indicated they adjusted the storyline after season 1's success (and wanted to hold onto that until they were ready to wrap up the series). No doubt someone would try explaining it due to her being semi-conscious and psychological blockage from trauma, but it was so horribly handled, and for some reason in discussions about the show it seems like no one ever seems to even notice it.

May 11, 2008

Personally, i did liked Gregory House the most in the first two seasons
, because his smart remarks were just right, with fun but not with hate behind it.
After that... Well, you just have to see it for yourself...
But i still like the House series. When i have forgotten it enough and it is still on netflix over a decade or so, i will gladly watch it again.

May 11, 2008
Sometimes the opposite happens. A character goes from one dimensional caricature to fully fleshed out. Higgins on Magnum P.I. is a good example. As the seasons went on, and I got to know him and his background, he became my favorite character. He had that same gentlemen warrior thing Capt. Picard embodied so well.

Higgins. As soon as i read that name, i saw the character in front of me. He was great. Saved Magnum a lot of times.

May 11, 2008
I am now at season 4.
I never knew John Lithgow is such a tall guy. He is 1 meter and 93 centimeters.
At 70 he is probably a bit shorter now but still.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Quincy examined corpses House diagnoses diseases in living people.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Quincy examined corpses House diagnoses diseases in living people.
They are both medical mystery dramas/formula. Particulars are unimportant.