Dexter and House, what do they have in common.

May 11, 2008
I watched all seasons of House and recently i started with Dexter. I am now at season 2 of Dexter and i noticed he is becoming more of an asshole. Just ass House did. What is it with the screenwriters to make the main character go down hill ?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I watched all seasons of House and recently i started with Dexter. I am now at season 2 of Dexter and i noticed he is becoming more of an asshole. Just ass House did. What is it with the screenwriters to make the main character go down hill ?

Let's pause for a second.

....you realize that Dexter is a serial killer, right?

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Just because he has a pathological need to kill people doesn't mean he has to be a jerk about it. Or something.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
House is garbage. Dexter is awesome... until season 7. I think. Whenever that blond girlfriend shows up. Stop watching then. Not Rita.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
House is garbage. Dexter is awesome... until season 7. I think. Whenever that blond girlfriend shows up. Stop watching then. Not Rita.

If the Lithgow season was the series finale it would go down as one of the greatest dramas of all time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i couldnt watch more than like the first half of season 1 of house. that show bored me to death and every episode was the same.

someone has some obscure illness no one knows what is wrong with him. house comes up with something that sounds out of this world, everyone LOL's at him, and he turns out to be right. or something like that, been a very long time since i watched it.

dexter was awesome. the later seasons definitely got out there and are not nearly as good as earlier seasons. i definitely agree with the season with lithgow was the best. i believe that was season 4.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If the Lithgow season was the series finale it would go down as one of the greatest dramas of all time.

:thumbsup:

the absolute worst was the Collin Hanks season ugh....

As annoying as his later GF is, Yvonne Strahavoiascsxawersky is really, really easy on the eyes...so kinda worth it to drag your feet through those seasons.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
:thumbsup:

the absolute worst was the Collin Hanks season ugh....

As annoying as his later GF is, Yvonne Strahavoiascsxawersky is really, really easy on the eyes...so kinda worth it to drag your feet through those seasons.

both hanks and his girlfriend are sssssooooo bad at acting. hell most regulars in that show are terrible actors. but damn, hanks and the girlfriend were in leagues of their own at how bad they are.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
i couldnt watch more than like the first half of season 1 of house. that show bored me to death and every episode was the same.

someone has some obscure illness no one knows what is wrong with him. house comes up with something that sounds out of this world, everyone LOL's at him, and he turns out to be right. or something like that, been a very long time since i watched it.

dexter was awesome. the later seasons definitely got out there and are not nearly as good as earlier seasons. i definitely agree with the season with lithgow was the best. i believe that was season 4.
I'm watching House now, and I like it even if his grumpiness/cynicism is somewhat overdone, so far I'm halfway through the 2nd season.

I can understand it's not everyone's thing, but you can banalize practically every series like that, e.g. every Dexter episode is the same: someone does something very bad and may or may not get away with it, and he gets gruesomely murdered by Dexter.
(For the record, I like Dexter too, though I only saw the first 2 seasons.)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yeah true, but a forensic blood spatter expert who is secretly a serial killer and only kills "bad guys" is a lot more interesting than a doctor lol.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Most TV characters, over time, become caricatures of themselves.

steve-urkel-gif-14.gif

Mar 11, 2004
OP, him becoming more of an asshole is one of the smallest problems of the show. Surprised you didn't bitch about Rita since that seemed to have been what most people bitched about forever, while many of those same people gobbled up Skyler in Breaking Bad even though she was practically the same fucking character and easily as annoying and frankly Skyler's actions actually make less sense than Rita's.

Plus, I can't fathom how basically no one else takes issue with the absolutely massive plot hole from the end of season 1 that the writers pretend didn't happen until they had to try and finish out the show. Every season after that was basically just padding the show out until it started to wane in popularity and they had to finish it off.

Dexter really seemed to be a show that had a thought out conclusion and was likely only meant to be a few seasons long until it got popular and then it turned into typical Showtime show ("risque" plot, T&A). I'd say Dexter was about the best of that breed, but it never lived up to the promise that the first season offered.

May 11, 2008
OP, him becoming more of an asshole is one of the smallest problems of the show. Surprised you didn't bitch about Rita since that seemed to have been what most people bitched about forever, while many of those same people gobbled up Skyler in Breaking Bad even though she was practically the same fucking character and easily as annoying and frankly Skyler's actions actually make less sense than Rita's.

Plus, I can't fathom how basically no one else takes issue with the absolutely massive plot hole from the end of season 1 that the writers pretend didn't happen until they had to try and finish out the show. Every season after that was basically just padding the show out until it started to wane in popularity and they had to finish it off.

Dexter really seemed to be a show that had a thought out conclusion and was likely only meant to be a few seasons long until it got popular and then it turned into typical Showtime show ("risque" plot, T&A). I'd say Dexter was about the best of that breed, but it never lived up to the promise that the first season offered.

I found the Rita character not really annoying, she is a sweetheart.
She tries to protect her kids and has some emotional luggage from her previous idiot husband. Her mother and her husband
are the explanation for her being a sort of bipolar in emotional behavior. Not easy to cope with i guess but maybe worth it in the end.

Breaking bad i still have to see. Everybody says it is great, but i found the first two episodes to be boring. But my colleague mentioned it gets better after a few episodes.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
Did you guys also noticed Dexter gets thinner as the seasons progress ? Season1 he was muscled but in season 3 it is all gone. It seems he traded weight lifting for jogging. I am sure happy he got rid of Lila.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005

Yea, Dexter went so far downhill after Season 4. It remained watchable, but it was just way worse overall. The Season 4 finale would have been a perfect series finale. I believe had it ended there, Dexter would be recognized as the greatest show of all time, even with Season 3 being obviously weaker than 1,2, and 4 (it was still good).

The best episode ever, IMO, is "Hungry Man," primarily for the
scene where Dexter drags Arthur Mitchell into the kitchen and has the camera cut to the knife
. When I saw it for the first time, that scene was so well done it blew my fucking mind out of the back of my skull.

Last edited:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Most TV characters, over time, become caricatures of themselves.

Yep, I call it character caricature syndrome. It is especially noticeable in long running sit-coms. Small facets of personality start taking over until there is nothing relatable to a "regular" person left in the character.

Sometimes it happens fast, other times slow. The more talented the writers the slower it happens but even with the best writers, it still happens.

-KeithP

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Did you guys also noticed Dexter gets thinner as the seasons progress ? Season1 he was muscled but in season 3 it is all gone. It seems he traded weight lifting for jogging. I am sure happy he got rid of Lila.

he was also diagnosed with cancer as the show went on