Device Manager Doesn't List My Graphics Card

Spikefan74

Jan 27, 2018
I have a GTX 770, it isn't listed in device manager, only my integrated card. I physically checked and it is secure. Also I plug my monitor from my main board into my graphics card (both dvi) and screen goes black/blank. Monitor works fine when connected to mainboard slot. Not sure if these are 2 problems or what. Please help.

Spikefan74

Jan 27, 2018
I'm not too familiar with BIOS, can you be more specific? I bought the parts and my friend set it up. I have a Z87-G45 gaming motherboard if that helps. Also, Am I supposed to disable my integrated graphics card then move the monitor to the graphics card slot?

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I'm not too familiar with BIOS, can you be more specific? I bought the parts and my friend set it up. I have a Z87-G45 gaming motherboard if that helps. Also, Am I supposed to disable my integrated graphics card then move the monitor to the graphics card slot?
When you boot up the machine, you usually press F12 or ESC or DEL or... (depends on your motherboard). Then, in there, it should show if the card is detected, and if you have it disabled or not, along with other options. These options vary based on motherboard, but, normally, you would want to disable the integrated, and use the PCIe gfx card.

Spikefan74

Jan 27, 2018
I went into Bios and looked at the hardware detector and it showed the slot where the card is located as empty. I physically moved the graphics card to a new pci-e slot and it still shows as empty.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I hope you have the machine unplugged when you are moving the card around?

Seems that the card either needs power connected to it, or is bad.

Spikefan74

Jan 27, 2018
Yes i turned it off. I made sure the plugs were connected to the card itself inside. Does this mean my card is dead for sure?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Yes i turned it off. I made sure the plugs were connected to the card itself inside. Does this mean my card is dead for sure?
The only surefire way to check that is to use it on another machine.

I suppose it is possible that your PCIe slots are bad / have a short. Have you ever had a Gfx card working in your machine before?

Spikefan74

Jan 27, 2018
My card used to work. At some point it switched to integrated, but i didn't notice until my games got laggy. Can you recommend a good graphics card? My screen resolution is 1280x1024. Not sure if that helps, lol. Is a GTX 1050 an upgrade from a GTX 770?

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Can't you RMA the video card? That would be the best choice IMO.

What is the rest of your system like? What CPU you got, what motherboard?

Video card prices are **crazy** right now. I couldn't really recommend anything for the current prices they are going.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
That is a pretty anemic video card, and only has 2GB VRAM. If you don't play much games, then maybe.
Not very future proof at all.

Who made your 770?

Spikefan74

Jan 27, 2018
I bought that card listed in the link since it's cheap. This way i can test another card at least. Anything is better than my integrated one, lol.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My card used to work. At some point it switched to integrated, but i didn't notice until my games got laggy.
That doesn't make sense. You would have had to physically unplug your monitor from your GPU and plug it into the mobo I/O area to a mobo video out port.

You telling me that you wouldn't have noticed that? Do you sleepwalk as well?

Edit: Unless, by "switch to integrated", you really meant that your card in device manager switched to "MS Basic Display Adapter". Which means that your card or PCI-E slot is going bad.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Most likely the card is bad. Though testing with another graphics card will determine if the slots or the card itself is the issue, as mentioned.