DevGru/Seal Team Six - Who are these guys?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Man it is hilarious seeing what people post here. People have no f'ing clue.

One of my acquaintances' son became a Navy SEAL. He communicates to his son every few months. He has never "lost" contact. Of course, his son can't say where he is stationed or what he is up to but contact is still made. Special forces are not "spies". They are tactical units that complete missions. They don't go undercover for years.

Some people have been watching too many movies.

Yeah totally stupid,
I mean discovery had a freaking show about the lives of Navy Seal families...

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
salmon.jpg

Last edited:

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
This is the one bad thing about a SEAL team doing something major...now all the Generals will want their 'team' to be newsworthy.

Personally I think we need to get out of the Middle East or take it. Fucking around over there costs us money, angers the world and makes us a target.

I can't believe I'm saying this but... I agree with you.

JDBaughman

May 26, 2011
Well, almost any Joe... you still have to pass the IST, or EFT... Innitial Strength Test or Entrance Fitness Test... Run in Boots and Utes, Swim, pullups, and sit ups. timed and a minimum required.

But, Now they are offering a program that will strengthen you up and get you ready for Buds.. I believe its from 6 wks - 6 mths. And for the Norfolk area it is held at the Little Creek Amphibious Base. You have to get TAD orders to attend and you basically just go and work out all day. And then you go to BUDS

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
FYI: History Channel is airing a new documentary tonight called Secrets of SEAL Team 6. It airs at 8:00 PM Pacific Time. Also it will be replayed Thursday at 6:00PM.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I made a mistake, the show aired on Discovery Channel (not History). It will be aired again Thursday.

One of the most interesting tidbits was the role dogs play in the SEAL units. They even outfit the dogs with $20,000 plus worth of gear. They briefly showed the bullet proof vests the dog wears, complete with a video camera, light, and two way radio. A SEAL can remotely view the video feed and give orders over the radio. And the dogs even wear "doggles", aka eye protection.

The shot with the dog parachuting out of an aircraft was pretty cool too. Several former SEALS were in the show, including the governor of Montana and Richard Marcinko, who invented SEAL Team 6.

The show is worth an hour if you have the time.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSWDG), commonly known as DEVGRU and informally by its former name SEAL Team Six (ST6),[1][2] is one of the United States' three secretive Tier One counter-terrorism and Special Mission Units (SMUs)...

The vast majority of information about DEVGRU is highly classified, and details of its activities are not commented on by either the White House or the Department of Defense.[3] While DEVGRU is administratively supported by the Naval Special Warfare Command, it is operationally commanded by the Joint Special Operations Command. It is based at Training Support Center Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach, Virginia, known as FTC Dam Neck until 2004.[4]

SEAL Team Six was formally created in October 1980, and an intense, progressive work-up training program made the unit mission-ready six months later. The existing SEAL teams, including 12 platoons in SEAL Team One on the West Coast, had already begun counter-terrorism training; they formed a dedicated two-platoon group known as "MOB Six" (Mobility Six) in anticipation of a maritime scenario requiring a counter-terrorism response, and had begun training to that end.[8] The main area that separates SEAL Team Six/DevGru from the other "regular" SEAL teams is its funding. The team was given a large amount of money and are able to buy the best weapons and equipment available.[9]

In 1987, a new unit was formed, given the official title of "Naval Special Warfare Development Group" (abbreviated to NAVSPECWARDEVGRU, or DEVGRU) after SEAL Team Six was dissolved. Reasons for the disbanding are varied,[7] but the name SEAL Team Six is often used in reference to DEVGRU because of their similarities as a maritime counter-terrorism unit.[8]

Renaming
In a 2010 article, Marc Ambinder wrote that DEVGRU's designation had been changed by the Defense Department to a new name;[10] the name itself was classified. 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (Delta Force), was renamed Army Compartmented Elements (ACE).[11] Despite the official name changes, Team 6's original name remains widely recognized; Disney filed to trademark "SEAL Team 6" the day after the bin Laden raid.[12] The Disney trademark applications reserve use of the name for entertainment products, toys and clothing (Disney withdrew the trademark applications about two weeks later). There are no trademarks or applications to trademark DEVGRU...

DEVGRU and the Army's Delta Force (now called CAG: Combat Applications Group) train together and deploy together on counter-terrorist missions usually as part of a joint special operations task force (JSOTF).[3][8][22][23]

The CIA's highly secretive Special Activities Division (SAD) and more specifically its elite Special Operations Group (SOG) recruits operators from SEAL Team Six.[24] Joint Navy SEALs and CIA operations go back to the famed MACV-SOG group during the Vietnam War.[25] This cooperation still exists today and is seen in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.[26][27]...

Commanding Officers

Commander Richard Marcinko – Nov 1980 to July 1983
Captain Robert A. Gormly – 1983 to 1986
Captain Thomas E. Murphy – 1986 to 1987
Captain Richard T.P. Woolard – 1987 to 1990
Captain Ronald E. Yeaw – 1990 to 1992
Captain Thomas G. Moser – 1992 to 1994
Admiral Eric T. Olson – 1994 to 1997
Vice Admiral Albert M. Calland III – June 1997 to June 1999
Vice Admiral Joseph D. Kernan – 1999 to 2002
Rear Admiral Edward G. Winters, III – 2002 to 2004
Captain Scott P. Moore – 2004 to 2006

http://www.usna55.org/files/RDML_s_Moore_Bio.pdf

up

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Also, and I know this sounds totally fake, but a coworker when I was in Panama saw a dude being rude to a female bartender and stepped in. The guy grabbed his head and bit off his ear. Not just a nibble like Tyson but pretty much the whole external part. He was a SEAL. Not sure what team but from what I understand, he didn't even get in much trouble for it. They are very protected.

Lol he got his ear grafted back on but it looks pretty bad.

Not something to be proud of.

There are better ways to handle the situation.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I'm skeptical of that story. Special forces soldiers should be quiet professionals, not hotheads who bite people's ears off in foreign countries.