DevGru/Seal Team Six - Who are these guys?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Excellent point. :)

or Fort Bragg if you want to bring the Combat Applications Group / Delta Force into it.

I mean, I guess these guys have "limited contact" because their operational tempo skyrockets as does their training, but it's not like the government is sending their families letters telling them they're dead.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
80 people? The raid consisted of 80 people? :hmm:

I dunno about that, but the use of dogs is extremely interesting, I think. They're an enormous asset for infantry, to the point that the bloodlines of US Army canines are a closely held matter of national security. They breed & train amazing dogs.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
2 twelve man teams for the assault. -- 24
2 pilots, 2 gunners per chopper. -- 8

x2 for the backup team = 64 guys directly involved.

There also would have been a guy on charge overall of the mission (not the team commander) and probably some associated staff. Obviously the assault force was only a portion of those 80.
"The identities of all 80 members of the American commando team who thundered into Abbottabad, Pakistan, and killed Osama bin Laden are the subject of intense speculation, but perhaps none more so than the only member with four legs."

Maybe I am just reading it wrong. At first I thought it was saying that 80 people thundered into Abbottabad. Maybe they just meant the entire commando team is 80 people of which only a portion were on this raid. :hmm:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
or Fort Bragg if you want to bring the Combat Applications Group / Delta Force into it.

I mean, I guess these guys have "limited contact" because their operational tempo skyrockets as does their training, but it's not like the government is sending their families letters telling them they're dead.

I only know the SEAL aspect of it, so that's all I'll comment on.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

Or Fort Campbell if you want to bring the SOAR into it. The Nightstalkers are the best helo pilots in the world. :)

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I never said they disappear once they join. I said they have limited communication. Once they get accepted on bigger missions, then they go under the radar.

lol

dude they they have lives just like any other seal, their missions are just different. when not deployed they do have a home base and have wifes, kids, are little league, soccer coaches. go to the movies, bowling, play on the base softball team... they are not kept in a under ground bunker and brought out when the bat phone rings.

damn where do you people get this shit?

x26

Sep 17, 2007
Buddy o' mine in the Army once told me that they aren't officially known to exist.

Shrug. he may've just been trying to sound cool. Dunno.

It's off to "Bourbon and Saint Ann" for you...lol

x26

Sep 17, 2007
People that think they disappear don't know what, or where Coronado is :p

Hehe, Coronado...

My favorite place in San Diego--I lived 100 miles away-over the mountain in Rancho Mirage--was to stay in the Marriott Marina hotel in the highest floor with a bay view and balcony..
From there with my Binoculars and top secret listening devices00(J/K) I would see some of the most off the wall shit.
Like what you may ask?? :

Like 2 groups of men in wet suits in motorized rubber rafts pulling what was either a "Manaquin" or a Man tied in a Rope and being dragged in the Water as it was getting almost night...If I told you any more i would have to Kill You...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
"Kinetic action special forces?" For god's sake, lay off the video games.

Uh, you realize there are two kinds of Special Forces, right? Kinetic (or "black) and training (or "white.") The ones everyone likes to fantasize about are the teams that conduct kinetic operations (where force is applied to the enemy) in daring night time raids and such. The less glamorous ones are the sort that are currently training indigenous forces across the globe in places like Libya.

I think I know what kinetic energy is. That would be like what my hand would possess while I was winding up to smack you upside the head, right? Sorry, I could be wrong, I'm just a dumb Army guy. Also, there might be a difference between "kinetic energy" and "kinetic action."

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Buddy o' mine in the Army once told me that they aren't officially known to exist.

Shrug. he may've just been trying to sound cool. Dunno.
If you are talking about Delta, they weren't. Just before I got out in '87, I got a recruitment letter from them that didn't exist. Supposedly, they were looking for single E5s. I am sure I was bad ass enough.
I wish I had kept the letter.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
A lot of special forces operators have families. You don't think it is important to morale for them to reconnect with wives, kids, or other immediate family often whenever feasible? The military spends lots of money to produce each commando, and the military wants to retain them and keep morale high. What SF want, SF usually get.

I have a family member who is USSF, been to Iraq twice and Afghanistan once, IIRC. He's never "out of contact" for longer than a couple-few weeks. Never been deployed longer than eight or nine months at a time, offered plenty of downtime before re-deployment, but are training constantly.

DEVGRU and Delta Force are even less likely to be deployed under strict operational security for prolonged periods than other commandos. Their primary DA missions are very much 'in and out', not days or weeks.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
A lot of special forces operators have families. You don't think it is important to morale for them to reconnect with wives, kids, or other immediate family often whenever feasible?

And who else would they kill when they return stateside? :sneaky:

I kid, I kid!

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
DEVGRU and Delta Force are even less likely to be deployed under strict operational security for prolonged periods than other commandos. Their primary DA missions are very much 'in and out', not days or weeks.

Agreed. These guys are the thoroughbred racehorses reserved for the big races. You don't use them to plow fields and you don't run them to death on every two bit race. Not cannon fodder.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
They get to use whatever they want.

Some of these guys probably spent 2-3 years undercover living and roaming around Pakistan by themselves trying to sniff out any trace of OBL and company. No frequent contact or support by other US forces, just them and the locals.

No.

Disappearing for 2 or 3 years in Pakistan or Afghanistan? That's CIA work.

Yes - CIA handlers and operatives selected amongst the native population. This would be necessary considering the, uh, whiteness of the typical American special forces unit.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Or if they're in the tidewater area of Virginia swing by the Naval Amphibious Base in Little Creek,VA. All the even numbered SEAL teams are located in Little Creek.

I remember watching them swim around the harbor in the mornings and then hear them practice assaulting the beaches during the day.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
No.

Yes - CIA handlers and operatives selected amongst the native population. This would be necessary considering the, uh, whiteness of the typical American special forces unit.

Yeah, I'm thinking the CIA have some operatives who spoke the native language and didn't stand out to keep a watch on the compound, i.e to notice for suspicious activities or person.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Yeah, I'm thinking the CIA have some operatives who spoke the native language and didn't stand out to keep a watch on the compound, i.e to notice for suspicious activities or person.

read in the newspaper this morning that the CIA has Pakistani assets and informants in a villa close to OBL villa

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Man it is hilarious seeing what people post here. People have no f'ing clue.

One of my acquaintances' son became a Navy SEAL. He communicates to his son every few months. He has never "lost" contact. Of course, his son can't say where he is stationed or what he is up to but contact is still made. Special forces are not "spies". They are tactical units that complete missions. They don't go undercover for years.

Some people have been watching too many movies.