DevGru/Seal Team Six - Who are these guys?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Not if you think SEALs disappear once they join.

I never said they disappear once they join. I said they have limited communication. Once they get accepted on bigger missions, then they go under the radar.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I never said they disappear once they join. I said they have limited communication. Once they get accepted on bigger missions, then they go under the radar.

DaveMcowen said:
It was very emotional because he was going to disappear, you no longer have family or friends.

Londo_Jowo said:
Yeah right :rolleyes:

YoungGun21 said:
Actually...it is completely true. During the first few years of training, you might be able to call home every once and a while, but you obviously can't disclose anything. After that, once you hit the big show, your missions might be 2 or 3 years long. During that, no contact at all. You essentially disappear.

:rolleyes:

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
During that, no contact at all. You essentially disappear.

Sorry if my post was a little hard to understand, I do see that I merged two thoughts.

I still think it was easy to see when I switched though.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
This thread is full of people who have no clue what they're talking about. Not that I claim to have any inside knowledge about Navy SEALS, but at least I don't go pulling a load of nonsense out of my ass.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Look up what kinetic energy actually is/means. A bunch of sensationalistic news stories throwing around an idiotic term like "kinetic action special forces" doesn't mean anything.

He did not say kinetic energy. Do those links to www.stripes.com and www.veteransofspecialforces.org that use the term not count or something? Also, you do know nebor is in the Army, right?

No offense, but I am going to side with the professional soldiers using the term.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Like you know?

Sorry. You don't know everything.

Some people are just more "in the know."

You don't "disappear" or any other such nonsense. With the high demand for special operations over the last decade, SEALs and Special Forces can be deployed for ~300 days of the year, but it's not like they have no contact with their families.

As for DEVGRU specifically, they most certainly don't disappear. Most of them spend loads of time overseas and, when home, are required to be within a certain distance of base, but it isn't like the DoD shows up at their family's house and tells them their dead.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Actually...it is completely true. During the first few years of training, you might be able to call home every once and a while, but you obviously can't disclose anything. After that, once you hit the big show, your missions might be 2 or 3 years long. During that, no contact at all. You essentially disappear.

You're so full of shit. I had a very close family member that was married to a SEAL and it is/was nothing like that. No one "disappears".

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Anyone that thinks they disappear should hang out in Coronado sometime ... they're in plain sight every day and it's not even a debate.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Anyone that thinks they disappear should hang out in Coronado sometime ... they're in plain sight every day and it's not even a debate.

People that think they disappear don't know what, or where Coronado is :p

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Yea, but 80 is a LOT, almost a companies worth.

2 twelve man teams for the assault. -- 24
2 pilots, 2 gunners per chopper. -- 8

x2 for the backup team = 64 guys directly involved.

There also would have been a guy on charge overall of the mission (not the team commander) and probably some associated staff. Obviously the assault force was only a portion of those 80.