DevGru/Seal Team Six - Who are these guys?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Yeah and many former operators because pay is better. My BIL who was a Ranger went to work for Titan (i think) and paid cash for a Ranch in Killen TX. I think he was making 25K a mo at one point.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah and many former operators because pay is better. My BIL who was a Ranger went to work for Titan (i think) and paid cash for a Ranch in Killen TX. I think he was making 25K a mo at one point.

It's good money, but those guys are really risking a lot. When shit goes down, they don't have anyone to call for backup, no air support, just them and the bad guys. I'd prefer a non-combat contracting job in theater. Great money with far less risk.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The guys in the posted pics are regular Seals. Seal Team 6 picks only the best of them, and they would not be posing for photographs, even with their faces blacked out.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
DevGru/Seal Team Six - Who are these guys?

After the stealth kill of OBL, the most intriguing aspect of the whole operation seems to be the guys behind it; DevGru or SEAL Team Six.

Is there any good info about these guys meaning who are they what do they do to get into that elite SEAL Team Six etc.? The first time I heard they were called DevGru, I was reminded of Medal of Honor 'Tier One' dudes with beards and M16s and suppressors with laser sights ready to tear shit up.

Are they considered the US Military's "kill team" so to speak? I mean, these guys sneaked into the compound took out the target and left before anyone knew what happened. LOLz.. that's straight out of a video game...

I can tell you some about a friend of mine from years ago.

He had already been in and out of service having done a couple of tours with Iraq. After 9-11 he wanted to re-enlist and had the goal of making it on a SEAL team. It was very emotional because he was going to disappear, you no longer have family or friends.

He may well have been one of the Commandos in that raid.

Feb 24, 2001
The guys in the posted pics are regular Seals. Seal Team 6 picks only the best of them, and they would not be posing for photographs, even with their faces blacked out.

Easiest way to tell is rifle. Almost all the SOFs are using HK 416s.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

He had already been in and out of service having done a couple of tours with Iraq. After 9-11 he wanted to re-enlist and had the goal of making it on a SEAL team. It was very emotional because he was going to disappear, you no longer have family or friends.

From what I understand, once accepted a SEAL will go through 2-3 years of training prior to being assigned to a team available for overseas operations of this magnitude.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I read somewhere that the weapon of choice of USA SOF is the FN SCAR

They get to use whatever they want.

Some of these guys probably spent 2-3 years undercover living and roaming around Pakistan by themselves trying to sniff out any trace of OBL and company. No frequent contact or support by other US forces, just them and the locals.

Feb 24, 2001
I read somewhere that the weapon of choice of USA SOF is the FN SCAR

Procurement info is pretty available. AFAIK, the SCAR is not fielded except for evaluation. I honestly don't keep up with the stuff. I just know for certainty that the HK 416 won the contracts and is actually deployable outside of evaluation.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

Yeah right :rolleyes:

You've been watching too many movies.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Yeah right :rolleyes:

You've been watching too many movies.

Actually...it is completely true. During the first few years of training, you might be able to call home every once and a while, but you obviously can't disclose anything. After that, once you hit the big show, your missions might be 2 or 3 years long. During that, no contact at all. You essentially disappear.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Actually...it is completely true. During the first few years of training, you might be able to call home every once and a while, but you obviously can't disclose anything. After that, once you hit the big show, your missions might be 2 or 3 years long. During that, no contact at all. You essentially disappear.

I'm a 12 year Navy veteran, I'm fully aware of how the SEALs operate. I've known several SEALs including some who went to team 6 and they didn't disappear.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I'm a 12 year Navy veteran, I'm fully aware of how the SEALs operate. I've known several SEALs including some who went to team 6 and they didn't disappear.

So when they go live in foreign countries with no contact at all back home, they just dropped you a text every other weekend?

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Procurement info is pretty available. AFAIK, the SCAR is not fielded except for evaluation. I honestly don't keep up with the stuff. I just know for certainty that the HK 416 won the contracts and is actually deployable outside of evaluation.

"Late in 2004 USSOCOM announced, that the winner for the initial SCAR contracts is the FN USA, an US-based subsidiary of the famous Belgian company Fabrique Nationale Herstal. prototype rifles were manufactured by FN Manufacturing Inc, US-based subsidiary to FN Herstal; This company will also handle series production of rifles. Starting mid-2005, first SCAR rifles went to end users in US Special Operation Forces. Since USSOCOM uses Navy-type "mark" designations, SCAR rifles were officially designated as 5.56mm Rifle Mark 16 (SCAR-L / Light) and 7.62mm Rifle Mark 17 (SCAR-H/ Heavy).It is believed that Mk.16 and Mk.17 rifles will gradually replace most rifle systems now in service with US SOCOM forces, such as M4 carbines, M16 rifles, M14 rifles and Mk. 25 sniper rifles."

"On June 25, 2010 SOCOM announced that it was canceling the acquisition of the MK-16 citing limited funds and a lack of enough of a performance difference in another 5.56mm rifle to justify the purchase. Remaining funds would be expended for the MK-17 7.62x51 mm version and the MK-20 sniper variant.[24] "FNH USA believes the issue is not whether the SCAR, and specifically the [originally contracted] MK 16 variant, is the superior weapon system available today …it has already been proven to be just that, ...recently passing Milestone C and determined to be operationally effective / operationally suitable (OE/OS) for fielding. The issue is whether or not the requirement for a 5.56mm replacement outweighs the numerous other requirements competing for the customers’ limited budget. That is a question that will only be determined by the customer." [25] FN Herstal though has stated that the 5.56mm variant will be retained by SOCOM, and that "The choice between the 5.56 and the 7.62 caliber will be left to the discretion of each constitutive component of USSOCOM's Joint Command (e.g. SEALs, Rangers, Army Special Forces, MARSOC, AFSOC) depending on their specific missions on today's battlefield." [26]"

SCAR fielded for SOF since 2009

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/press/detail.asp?id=82
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_SCAR
http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/scar.asp

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

False. These are kinetic action special forces, not CIA agents.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Where do people get this kind of shit from?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Funny how many posters here have a friend that is a SEAL now days, isn't it? :awe:

I think people are imagining these guys as some sort of James Bond spy\action hero team. They're not. Special Operations may be covert, but they're almost entirely kinetic in nature. They break things and kill people. That's their job.

Disappearing for 2 or 3 years in Pakistan or Afghanistan? That's CIA work.

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
I think people are imagining these guys as some sort of James Bond spy\action hero team. They're not. Special Operations may be covert, but they're almost entirely kinetic in nature. They break things and kill people. That's their job.

Disappearing for 2 or 3 years in Pakistan or Afghanistan? That's CIA work.

Element of Surprise and Violence of Action:) Like I said, if you want to learn more about what these guys are like, read Cmdr. Marcinko's autobiography "Rogue Warrior"