Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
5 hours in and I'm enjoying it a lot. Only focusing on side missions at the moment.

It's not a perfect PC port by any means, but it is definitely scratching that Deus Ex itch.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
5 hours in and I'm enjoying it a lot. Only focusing on side missions at the moment.

It's not a perfect PC port by any means, but it is definitely scratching that Deus Ex itch.

Talk as well as shoot. You'll miss side missions otherwise.

After near 7 hours I'd say hacking is mandatory, not the fortifying aug, but the other hack to reduce detection and unlock higher level hacks. I'm playing on lazy/maximum easy and shooting my way through, so the armor options are nice to see. Ammo can be scarce though, blew threw a stack of rounds in the bank. You absolutely need to hack and explore to gain praxis points. The lore is also interesting. And if that is the future of Windows on PC, it seems awfully dumbed down. :eek:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
My feelings align with Macks rant -

The pre-order bonus nonsense that surrounded this game should have been an indicator that we'd see rubbish micro-transactions and like Mack and many other PC gamers I just cannot stand this anymore. Without in game micro-transactions this game would have been a day 1 buy for me, simply based off them doing a stella job at the previous game.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Upping my score partially due to the excellent amount of liquor in game - from "old man liquor" to brown ale to pilsner and euro lager. No vodka though, FOR SHAME. On combat, its disappointing the game is built around stealth. Shootouts work fine (watch your ammo though), but is setup in such a way that not playing stealth really stands out. You go to investigate bombings and movement leaders and for some reason there is no co-operation, just shoot on sight. Is odd. Cops will actually try and murder your eh. Side missions are also really tucked away, forcing you to explore at will. Entertaining though.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ugh... i am on my third play though....

This time i hope to get pacifist so not killing is sort of annoying.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
TBH the micro trans I couldn't care less about. cause I wont buy them. the performance issues and 21:9 wonkiness is what made me refund it

ill rebuy when that is fixed

Reactions: WiseUp216

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
TBH the micro trans I couldn't care less about. cause I wont buy them. the performance issues and 21:9 wonkiness is what made me refund it

yeah i saw what u were talking about and it would annoy me having those meters smack near the center like that.

at least they didnt do an overwatch and just black out the sides.. :X

Anyhow my rant on nvidia..
WTF is the point in SLI anymore?
the game has no SLI support yet with the new drivers.
I bet the game has Xfire support, yet nvidia has no SLI support.

Sigh..
Seriously, this is the last time i will do SLI in my builds.
Im gonna get a single monster titan and call it done from now on.

Last edited:

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

Apparently they've addressed the 21:9 issues in the first patch that just came out. Couldn't just wait a few days?

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Patch #2 is live -

Full patch notes for update v3.0 build 524.10 are as follows:

• Adjustments to the Mouse Sensitivity settings, which mean that you can now set sensitivity for the X and Y axis separately.
  • Increased range of Mouse Sensitivity settings.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause missing geometry in the Dubai level.
  • Fixed an issue with player movement and running on stairs and sloped surfaces.
  • Fixed various issues with 21:9 setups.
  • Fixed an issue where the “Unmark All” prompt would stay on screen.
  • Field of view setting now displays the angle used.
As with the last update, Eidos expects the patch to be an improvement for all players, but should trouble with it arise after download, revert back to the older version.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Apparently they've addressed the 21:9 issues in the first patch that just came out. Couldn't just wait a few days?

From what I'm reading, they didn't fix all the 21:9 issues. Enemy markers (and the like) are still incorrect.

I'm going to boot up shortly to see how it is.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I really don't understand the outrage over the micro transactions. Sure, it's greedy, but it's not a multiplayer game, so there's no competitive advantage. If you feel cheated because someone else is buying their way through their single player game, then do you also feel cheated when someone else is better at a game than you? Or has more time to play than you? Or has any other advantage that you don't? Those are unwarranted feelings and really, really have no place in a single player game.

I'm not defending their decisions for being greedy, I just don't understand the outrage over it. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: WiseUp216

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It's not just about other players, it's the pretty much standard mentality now of "let's put something behind a paywall". It show's forethought that they purposely leave stuff out to sell additionally. It also shows that they aren't making a game as good as they can, by design. It's limited from the beginning with thought to how they can milk more money out of people. It's about how we are marketed and sold to almost every waking hour of our lives now. We play games to escape, we already purchased the game. There is no reason to sell us MORE inside the game. It's pushy, it's invasive, it's ingenuine.

I used to think that 'eh, It shouldn't bother you if you don't get it' but it's just gotten so much worse. The laid back, it doesn't bother me attitude has given way to the pokemon mentality that they play on. They obviously make money on it or they wouldn't keep doing it. More people should complain or abstain from purchasing said material or objects that contain them.

I don't want to hear about 'how expensive games are to make'. It's a BS argument considering half their money is on advertising. Everything is expensive. It's poor management that makes it worse.

/off topic rant

Last edited:
Reactions: BSim500

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I really don't understand the outrage over the micro transactions. Sure, it's greedy, but it's not a multiplayer game, so there's no competitive advantage. If you feel cheated because someone else is buying their way through their single player game, then do you also feel cheated when someone else is better at a game than you? Or has more time to play than you? Or has any other advantage that you don't? Those are unwarranted feelings and really, really have no place in a single player game.

I'm not defending their decisions for being greedy, I just don't understand the outrage over it. It's ridiculous.
A combination of things:-

1. It cheapens the feel of the game. A full priced premium AAA Deus Ex 4 should not feel like "Deus Ex: The Fall 2" with more sparkly bits. This is the "cost" of an established premium AAA franchise - there's a generally elevated expectation of higher standards for sequels. If devs wish to lower those standards by trying to pull off "Deus Ex Crush Saga", then they need to lower the price (and/or accept lower review scores) to match.

2. When pay2win micro-transactions are introduced, quite often base gameplay will be subtly changed to 'encourage' the purchase of such, eg, making combat / hacking / levelling up costs slightly more grindy to which the presented anti-grind IAP 'solution' just happens to 'coincidentally' correct to a non-grindy experience that would have probably been the "base" experience without IAP presence.

3. Slippery slope. The issue isn't just "what's wrong with x game today" but the long term "once consumers have become "normalised" to this, then we'll push that boundary a little further next release...", etc. As an example, DX:MD pre-order bonuses are now apparently "one shot only", ie, use one-time locked to a specific save file, and then gone. If this becomes acceptable, then how many more games will jump on that bandwagon? And the next gimmick... And the gimmick after that...

Like ImpulsE69, I also used to believe "If you don't buy it, it won't bother you", but the only thing that attitude has done is encourage more negative behaviour, and there comes a point where you can feel your intelligence being insulted "Idiocracy style" with every new "post-purchase paywall" gimmick shovelled out and wrapped up in sickly sweet candy floss to try and hide what it really is.

Last edited:

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Businesses are generally there to make money. Unless you're going to yell at every gamer for taking advantage of a system built around modern day, convenience thirsty societies have gotten used to, I don't see how the cries for it to stop will make a difference. Further, if that sort of system prevents you from purchasing an otherwise awesome game that you'd enjoy (without supporting micro transactions at all), that's your prerogative; yours alone and you only have yourself to thank for that. And one incredibly crucial point I think you guys are ignoring: this is a single player. No competitive edge to call "pay 2 win". No one cares if you paid to win against NPCs. I've never, ever, heard someone revel in how they kicked those NPCs asses thanks to that extra money they spent on micro transactions. If I did, that'd be the last time I'd talk to them.

The outrage is moot.

For the record, I've never paid for a micro transaction. I do understand, however, that there are some people out there that simply don't have as much time as I or perhaps lack the same sense of engagement. Those are the people that actually really benefit from the "pay 2 win" micro transactions I see in this game.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Businesses are generally there to make money. Unless you're going to yell at every gamer for taking advantage of a system built around modern day, convenience thirsty societies have gotten used to, I don't see how the cries for it to stop will make a difference. Further, if that sort of system prevents you from purchasing an otherwise awesome game that you'd enjoy (without supporting micro transactions at all), that's your prerogative; yours alone and you only have yourself to thank for that. And one incredibly crucial point I think you guys are ignoring: this is a single player. No competitive edge to call "pay 2 win". No one cares if you paid to win against NPCs. I've never, ever, heard someone revel in how they kicked those NPCs asses thanks to that extra money they spent on micro transactions. If I did, that'd be the last time I'd talk to them.

The outrage is moot.

For the record, I've never paid for a micro transaction. I do understand, however, that there are some people out there that simply don't have as much time as I or perhaps lack the same sense of engagement. Those are the people that actually really benefit from the "pay 2 win" micro transactions I see in this game.
We're not ignoring it. It's simply a case of explaining how a lot of people don't like something (which may be a stance you won't necessarily agree with) doesn't render the explanation invalid. A lot of people see this "pay for thin air" mobile style DLC in full priced game stuff as dumbing down (which is why criticism remains even for single player). Other people don't like consolization. Others still don't like DRM, etc. Sometimes these groups overlap, sometimes not. If it were a case of only 1-2% of gamers not liking the trend of mobile style pay2win in full priced PC gaming, you'd expect to see that reflected in reviews. Instead comments on this in negative reviews have been more like +30% (and that's from people who disliked it after purchase and doesn't include many others who didn't pre-order / buy it and thus be unable to leave a negative review on Steam), which is a significant chunk of the target audience to dismiss as "moot" simply because you are not them and they are not you.

Bottom line is this : Other's personal expectations of full-priced games and yours may not match up. Personally, if I'm too pushed for time to complete a long 30hr FPS, rather than demand a dumbing down mechanic, I'd simply pick another shorter game because with or without pay2cheat micro-transactions, you'll end up rushing / clock-watching and killing off much of the immersion / atmosphere. Or watch a Youtube speedrun. Or "gift" myself the same quantity of stuff via Cheat Engine / a trainer. So it could easily be argued "pay real cash for a fast-win option for the 'modern convenience' types" is just another 'moot' excuse that tries to pass off this "monetize thin air, then act like you're doing them a favor" junk as if it's somehow on parity with older expansion packs which actually added a boatload of tangible new content.

Devs have a prerogative to include micro-transactions, and lazy gamers have the 'freedom' to buy it, but people who don't like it as part of a long-term dumbing down trend have an equal prerogative to leave a negative review. If that "Very Positive" to "Mixed" end result causes some people to become upset, they'll just have to accept that as the price of including a generally unpopular 'Lowest Common Denominator' mechanism in an established premium franchise.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
as others have said, the micro transactions are just plain stupid.
you can open up cheat engine, and edit the required values for credits and praxis and save you the micro transaction fee.

Its like a wolf preying on the sheep in that context.

Since the game is also single player, you wont be penalized for cheating.

So if your one of the fools who actually did a micro transaction on credits or praxis points... well, my hats off to you.

they should of made the micro transaction more in terms of skin and not credits / praxis points.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
After the whole pre-order disaster they should have taken it as a clue to not put it anything like a real money store in the single player game.

FFS do they not know that you can get a simple trainer/cheats or edit .ini files to get what you want.

Kind of baffling to put in something that so severely breaks immersion, looks like all they were thinking about was the $$$$.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
A lot of people don't know about cheats or trainers. These micro transaction doesn't cost developers anything only brings them extra money.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I can see both sides of the argument and I fall more into the "I don't care, I don't buy it" camp than the other side. Though I do kind of feel that these types of things are a little bit worse than day one DLC or something cosmetic that doesn't directly impact the game and the way you play it (unnecessary grinding etc). It seems companies are getting bolder in their schemes by using tactics normally reserved for mobile shovel ware.

Reactions: Whitestar127

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

because i had a limited amount of time to play this game before i needed to do some other shit, no time to wait for a broken game right now, ill play it later

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Just about at the end, third time back in Prague, and the streets are on lockdown, you will be shot on sight. Around 30ish hours, played as a shooter on maximum easy:

-> Game feels like half a game. Only one city after 5 years plus that delay, meh.
-> Plot doesn't really go anywhere. If you think you'll be storming a magic Illuminati mansion, think again. Very basic and not very fleshed out.
-> Side quests are well written, except there are not that many of them (a dozen or so, completed the majority of them)
-> Dialogue is mostly well written, yes there are lip-syncing issues
-> You will frequently run out of ammo, shooting is vastly improved, but ammo is still scarce.
-> Game is built around stealth. The devs obviously wanted you to be a sexy cybernetic ghost with a gruff voice and a heart of gold.
-> Chose the full force augs, but as above, the devs really want you to hack and explore at will.
-> Not exactly that much to explore, as mentioned, most of the buildings are closed off except the ones the devs want you to access.

If I had known this prior I would have waited for the price to drop and picked something else up. Not really recommended. Feels like this and Human Revolution should have been combined into one game with a number of acts and sprawling locations. The world has such potential with lore and back-story.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I have 5 good reasons for not liking micro-transactions in a pull priced stand alone game like this.
1. It cheapens the entire game. By design there must be something missing that people would want to buy. Something that just a few years ago would have been considered a normal part of the game.

2. It is a bald face money grab. It is cheating the free market system by back-loading consumer cost into your game.

3. If it is successful it will continue to become more and more egregious. How long until we have to pay 1.99 for the last level of the game. Since reviews rarely play that far into a game it would be quite possible to never know until you get to that last level weeks after purchase.

I have two more good reasons, and I will PM them to you for just $1.99 deposit to my Paypal account!

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
New patch -

Fixes the biggest 21:9 issue for me.
  • The following fixes are in this patch:
  • • Fixed a crash during the subway loading scene.
  • • Fixed issue with loading a saved game while in cover and pressing [SPACE], causing Jensen to vault over cover.
  • • Fixed crash when leaving for Golem City.
  • • Fixed issues where the UI was offset at some aspect ratios, such as 21:9.
  • • Fixed issue where vibration was not working on gamepad.
  • • Fixed an issue where some keyboard language settings could cause the game to not launch (some users had a workaround by creating a new user account or by changing their keyboard language setting).
  • • Fixed various issues related to Breach.
  • • Fixed issues related to Tobii EyeTracking.