Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Considering applying for a refund, 4 hours in, and some lightning bug is upon me. Shift the mouse 1 pixel and brightness will go to 1000% .. and it is aligned along the same axis no matter where I am, dark tunnel or whatever.. Got the latest nvidia driver on a 780gtx .. Maybe i am just getting "keplered" again, i dont know, but it is unplayable.

this bug ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTS4cCemU-Y
Just cant get rid of it with the proposed fix..

Last edited:

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Finished this off today, partially missed some of the stuff stuffed into the loonnnng credits, playtime around 30 hours. It seems this is a trilogy, hence the ending is entirely open. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are die hard fan.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Finished this off today, partially missed some of the stuff stuffed into the loonnnng credits, playtime around 30 hours. It seems this is a trilogy, hence the ending is entirely open. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are die hard fan.
That's what I've heard too. I've long been a die hard DX fan (especially for the original) but quite honestly I've lost all interest in Mankind Divided and future Square Enix follow ons too. Personally I hate "episodic" plot-hanging style games (both overtly and "backdoor" like this) though given Square Enix's new "direction" with the recent Hitman, I can't say I'm surprised. The persistent rumor is Eidos Montreal wanted to do more with MD, add a second city hub, and actually give a proper "Deus Ex ending" (dealing with the 'invisible hand' cause after peeling back layers of conspiracy like an onion, not simply chase after the low-level lackeys for the whole game), etc, but it was Square Enix that "encouraged" them to water it down, split the plot up across several releases and shovel micro-transaction in. Hence the widely commented on feeling that Mankind Divided's ending got cut short and felt like only "half a Deus Ex" (if that).

A lot of people are now predicting the Deus Ex franchise is going to be turned from a "silver bullet" style release (one occasional but rock solid and complete game) into a more generic 2-3 year 'episodic in all but name' release cycle that's going to end up as milked to death as Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, etc, by the time Deus Ex 6 comes around. God I miss the days when Eidos Interactive were a publisher themselves, not just a post-acquisition door-mat for the Japanese stock market...

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Through the bugging glass, I was just hit by the save bug .. holy crap this is bad...

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Waiting for more patches/Winter sale prices on this one.

Got plenty of neglected titles in my library to explore in the meantime, but I do want to play this.

Reactions: ginfest

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What a crappy ending. And sort of thin .. I did everything there was to do and still was pretty fast through it. The talkshow at the end.. YAWN.. and then credits I cant cancel? wtf? Swapped to windows, killed task and uninstalled.
It was OK but defn. not TW3 level of completion.

edit : apparently im a grumpy old man, so account for that.. but I still wouldnt call this a triple A title. AA+ maybe?

Last edited:

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Finished it, actually very pleased with it. Game world and level design were some of the best I've seen. Graphics are used to push the game's atmosphere very effectively. Enjoyed the story, especially the side missions and how they tie into the main arc. Lots of extra lore for the stealth/hacker approach. Got about 40 hours out of it doing a ghost/pacifist run, so good value for me.

Also, just alt-f4 out of the credits and YouTube the illuminati credit scene, quite satisfying especially if you completed Sarif's side quest.

Only bad points I had was SLI was completely unusable (borked load times, stuttering), however a single 980 was enough for me (1080p for the theater no issues, 3440 21:9 monitor with gsync) to be more than playable. Additionally there were still UI issues with 21:9, particularly spotting.

Overall very happy with this, sure it's not TW3, but it was still great.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I'm at 30 hours in and will probably get a chance to finish it this weekend. I'm guessing I have ~5 hours left but not really sure. I've avoided spoilers but I do know how many main story missions there will be.

I really like the side missions. Some of the best moments have come from those. Tracking down the Harvester was fun.

I agree that the world and level design are top notch. My only nagging issue with the game has been the long load times in the subway between areas. They can be excruciatingly long by modern standards.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Deus ex himself is very very detailed, nice graphics, sure, but everyone else save a few looked like ps3/360 rendering days. IMO anyway :).

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Deus ex himself is very very detailed, nice graphics, sure, but everyone else save a few looked like ps3/360 rendering days. IMO anyway :).

Oh, completely agree, outside of the "hero" characters (Adam and Alex) they're all just passable in terms of face tech. I'm really referring more to general design (clothing, attitude, etc).

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I thought this game wrecked a Titan XP @ 1080p though.

If you turn off MSAA and tweak a few other settings, the game is very playable even on older cards. I turned a few settings down and the entire game ran at 60 FPS constant. I was very pleased with performance and thought the game looked amazing.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Anyone played the new DLC (System Rift) yet?

DLC? The game just came out. Its a brand new game. DLC so soon? All that means is everyone paid for a partial game and they released the game in separate installments and charged more for it. So add the cost of the DLC to the original price and that's what the game actually costs. DLC my ass. More like, "Cut that part out and sell it separate".

If you turn off MSAA and tweak a few other settings, the game is very playable even on older cards. I turned a few settings down and the entire game ran at 60 FPS constant. I was very pleased with performance and thought the game looked amazing.

So why was everyone freaking out over the terrible performance then? What was all this "Crush a Titan @ 1080p" talk about?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
The game has an unfinished feel to it, with how the story abruptly ends and now with DLC coming in so soon, not to mention only having one hub area is also disappointing.

I will pass and wait for the inevitable directors cut and then wait for that to drop to $20.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Just beat the game, took me 56 hours. I explored every detail and completed every quest, sidequest and point of interest I came across. I had an awesome time playing it, the graphics, sound, new augs, and the Prague city hub are all stellar. Only had one crash to desktop, some minor graphical glitches but overall it felt super polished. Great performance at maxed settings at 4K too.

Definitely some issues with the story though, it felt weird that augmented persons went from being the super-rich in Human Revolution to suddenly being completely destitute in MD. I know they have an explanation for this but it still felt disorienting. Also, I guess they had no choice once they decided Jensen would return... but somehow they've managed to cheapen the great ending from HR by pretending it didn't happen. Jensen should have went down with the ship at Panchea... but since they brought him back somehow they didn't give him any story in this sequel... Rock Paper Shotgun nailed it with their article about Jensen not having any story left to tell and that's evident in Mankind Divided. HR was his story, it's like he's a walking corpse now in Mankind Divided with no life and no personal connections to this world. Odd...

And then lastly it just felt like the stakes were considerably lower than in HR. But I still thought MD was satisfying and obviously 56 hours is a ton for any game of this nature. I broke into every room, building and safe I could find... had I skipped many of these and completed the game at ~25 hours then I could probably understand why people are upset. Steam says HR took me 38 hours, I guess that makes MD a huge value!

Last edited:

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
Once I fixed the performance issues (i.e. turned down the ‘recommended’ settings) I started really liking this game. 50 hours or so through my stealth ninja playthrough, getting to like the game more and more. Just had the start ruined for me by performance being so poor.

I like that there are ULTRA settings so you can come back to a good game a year or two later and try Ultra settings, but when even Very High settings don’t perform well, it is unpleasant. Loving the game now though, but I can see a lot being put off by the initial poor performance.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
About 70% through my second play-through now and I am having a blast. Being a genocidal maniac is so much more fun with augs!

All bow before mechanical Jesus!!

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
About 70% through my second play-through now and I am having a blast. Being a genocidal maniac is so much more fun with augs!

All bow before mechanical Jesus!!
Second playthrough I am definitely killing every damn dirty cop in site.

Rezident

Nov 30, 2009
About 70 hours through my first playthrough, exploring every detail, really enjoying it now. So much to explore in Prague. Golem city was good but something like hengsha would have been even better. While not quite as good as DXHR for me it's very good once you fix the performance and DXHR was probably my favourite game of the last 5/6 years.