Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Yeah I'm considering requesting a refund due to the above issues I posted about. I ran into some more things (walls not existing/disappearing). It's like they didn't finish my copy of the game...

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com

Bummer. They did at least acknowledge the issues and say they're "working on it". Who knows what the ETA is.

I can turn the damage indicator off but I the enemy markers being off is pretty bad.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Why do I have this sinking feeling that even if Eidos releases their DX12 patch in November, it won't really make things any better?

The fact that a 980 Ti can't even do 60 FPS at 1080p Ultra does not give me a vote of confidence.
ultra_1080.png

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Ugh, forgot this was even coming out. Loved the previous game a few years ago, but I think I may wait for this to go on sale.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Why do I have this sinking feeling that even if Eidos releases their DX12 patch in November, it won't really make things any better?

The fact that a 980 Ti can't even do 60 FPS at 1080p Ultra does not give me a vote of confidence.
ultra_1080.png

This seems to be something of a trend where games don't run well and their visuals don't justify the low frame rate. I think DX12 will only make this worse because the burden is on developers to make optimizations in their game rather than on GPU driver teams.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
shoot, i keep locking up at the train station! i guess it's a problem that a lot of people are having.

oh well, time for bed anyway. hopefully they have it patched tomorrow. i think that lowering some graphics settings might also get past that point.

shame though, that nobody ran into this. i wonder if it's caused by the newest geforce driver. i saw that total biscuit had switched back to some older drivers for his 1080 because the new ones were causing BSOD.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Those that have played it what do you say? I have the previous game but never got into it.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
It's ironic, they announced last year that the game will be delayed for 6 months because they needed to work more on it (fixing, polishing, etc.) and now people get this unfinished game. Amazing!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well, my vote is no since I got a basically unplayable game.
Yea I've been skimming the responses from the thread. Pretty sure I'd run into some issues at my resolution too. Going to watch some gameplay videos and wait for patches/sale.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Those that have played it what do you say? I have the previous game but never got into it.

I'd say play Human Revolution first. Mankind Divided doesn't import saves from HR, but the story will make more sense if you play it first. And MD's gameplay is pretty much the the same as HR, just with a few new toys. So if you can't get into HR, you shouldn't bother with MD.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Pretty meh really, stable but:

-> Hacking is a pain in the arse. The very first SM00 side mission you won't do without near maxxxed out hacking or a multitool as the timer on detection is stupid short
-> The subway between zones is odd. Its 2016, why is the subway still used as a finger tapping load screen? Why are there load screens?
-> There are red restricted areas in those zones, but it isn't clear what happens when you massacre everyone inside with cops just outside the door. Will it break future missions? Eh?
-> If you don't explore you'll blow through the game, you literally need to explore at will to gain praxis. Although, as above.
-> Most buildings are not enterable unless there is a convenient vent, otherwise nope. See a sign that says naturals only? What would happen if you entered? You'll never find out.
-> Open shops can sell biocells under the counter but otherwise are just window-dressing. Again its 2016, where is the life in the city? Its like GTA V, all those building but they are empty or barely used.
-> Combat is twitchy. Pressing F is retarded to take cover. Why doesn't Jensen naturally take cover? Easier to just crouch along like its 1999 and the original Deus Ex
-> 1070 Strix OC I have can hit the Very High preset with Ultra textures and Ultra Volumetric lighting at 50-60FPS at 1200p, but the graphics are a notch above at best, not exactly breathtaking

This isn't bad exactly, it just could have been so much more if, say, CD Projekt had released it. Passable for the $48 I paid for, or around $40 USD.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
This seems to be something of a trend where games don't run well and their visuals don't justify the low frame rate. I think DX12 will only make this worse because the burden is on developers to make optimizations in their game rather than on GPU driver teams.
I've been wondering about that too. All this talk about how DX12 will give a "free" +30% or so boost, and yet even that falls behind the far higher performance/visual ratio back under far better optimized 2012-2014 games (and requires even more workload to do so). When a GTX 1060 can get over 130fps in Metro:LL even when throttled and power limited down to 60w, and yet Deus Ex: MD crawls along at 1/2 of that rate on a 180w GTX 1080 with little to show for it, it's like they've not only stopped trying, but are in fact actively engaged in a "who can take the p*ss the most and still make Best Selling charts with a straight face" competition.

Even at 1440p, some of these visuals are not very impressive at all especially given how badly it runs at just 1080p...
2016-08-23-image-5.jpg

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1234/images/2016-08-23-image-8.jpg
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1234/images/2016-08-23-image-9.jpg
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1234/images/2016-08-23-image-11.jpg

Last edited:

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
TotalBiscuit put out a video for Mankind Divided:

One of the biggest drops in performance according to him was the MSAA(?) (he may have misspoke and called it super sampling, idk if it is or not) which isn't really even necessary since the game has TAA which he claims is good enough.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Aside from MSAA and temporal settings being the large performance detractors, I'm wondering how much of this game's engine is reliant on CPUs that are capable of heavy multithreading? Anyone care to comment or know if a review that delves into that?

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
I am also seeing performance issues. On my i7-3600 with GTX 1070 the game felt slowish at 2560x1440 resolution. Nowhere near as smooth as Witcher 3 at max details.
Also, aiming down the sights feels jittery/imprecise. I finished the first level and not really "feeling" the game. Hopefully, I will get more into it as I play.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

ultra_1080.png

This kind of stuff drives me nuts with PC gamers. The developer included features that, when enabled, make the game look especially great, but negatively affect performance. The inclusion of those options however, prompts PC gamers worldwide to complain "WAH! My pc can't run it on Ultra! Wah! What an unoptimized piece of crap!" Conversely, if those features were omitted from the game (redfining ultra) - the game would still look great but would prompt PC gamers to cry "WAH! There aren't enough sliders! WAH! What a consolized piece of garbage!"

The reality in this game is that if you turn off a couple things (or just turn them down), the game still looks extremely good. The only problem is that in the (irrational) mind of the pc gamer, if their pc can't run it on "ultra super fantastic gobstopper nation settings" at 1000 FPS, the game either sucks or the developers didn't optimize it. I'm using a GTX1080 at 2560x1440 and it looks and runs great as long as I leave MSAA and one or two other options off or at reduced levels.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall people saying that Crysis was an unoptimized POS when it was released. Oh no. Everyone hailed it as the future of PC gaming - primarily because it included graphical settings that almost no PC in the world could run at a reasonable frame rate at the time.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I've been wondering about that too. All this talk about how DX12 will give a "free" +30% or so boost, and yet even that falls behind the far higher performance/visual ratio back under far better optimized 2012-2014 games (and requires even more workload to do so). When a GTX 1060 can get over 130fps in Metro:LL even when throttled and power limited down to 60w, and yet Deus Ex: MD crawls along at 1/2 of that rate on a 180w GTX 1080 with little to show for it, it's like they've not only stopped trying, but are in fact actively engaged in a "who can take the p*ss the most and still make Best Selling charts with a straight face" competition.

Even at 1440p, some of these visuals are not very impressive at all especially given how badly it runs at just 1080p...
2016-08-23-image-5.jpg

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1234/images/2016-08-23-image-8.jpg
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1234/images/2016-08-23-image-9.jpg
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1234/images/2016-08-23-image-11.jpg

Some of the models are pretty bad, but others are really quite good. See, e.g.,:

Deus-Ex-51.jpg

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This kind of stuff drives me nuts with PC gamers. The developer included features that, when enabled, make the game look especially great, but negatively affect performance. The inclusion of those options however, prompts PC gamers worldwide to complain "WAH! My pc can't run it on Ultra! Wah! What an unoptimized piece of crap!" Conversely, if those features were omitted from the game (redfining ultra) - the game would still look great but would prompt PC gamers to cry "WAH! There aren't enough sliders! WAH! What a consolized piece of garbage!"

The reality in this game is that if you turn off a couple things (or just turn them down), the game still looks extremely good. The only problem is that in the (irrational) mind of the pc gamer, if their pc can't run it on "ultra super fantastic gobstopper nation settings" at 1000 FPS, the game either sucks or the developers didn't optimize it. I'm using a GTX1080 at 2560x1440 and it looks and runs great as long as I leave MSAA and one or two other options off or at reduced levels.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall people saying that Crysis was an unoptimized POS when it was released. Oh no. Everyone hailed it as the future of PC gaming - primarily because it included graphical settings that almost no PC in the world could run at a reasonable frame rate at the time.

No, at 1080p there is no reason a 980ti shouldn't be 60fps in this game. I don't know what is enabled with the ultra preset but it's still 1080p.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
No, at 1080p there is no reason a 980ti shouldn't be 60fps in this game. I don't know what is enabled with the ultra preset but it's still 1080p.

There are lots of games that a 980TI couldn't/can't run at 60FPS with all the options turned all the way up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3enp3y/and_they_said_a_980_ti_is_overkill_for_1080p/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2677846/980-1080p-60fps-gta-maxed.html

https://steamcommunity.com/app/359550/discussions/0/458604254432726837/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/405691491115671189/

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
GTA needs more CPU. That's not a good example.\

Point is there is something of a trend where games run somewhat poorly on high end setups without really standing out visually and I don't think DX12 will solve everyone's woes either because it will be on the dev team to make it shine.

Last edited: