Destiny 2 PC Discussion

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I played for an hour or two last night without issue, too.

Despite the more recent flak surrounding the game and it's developers, I still enjoy playing it. It's just so easy to pick up and play and it doesn't actually require a lot of play time unless you want it to. I play for a couple of hours when I can and if I get lucky and get some good drops, great. If not, I put it down for a bit and come back to it eventually.

That’s probably why it’s still the most played online game on XB1 and PS4 right now. No worry about dedicating your life to it lol

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Got a 40" 4k monitor and the game looks quite good like that. Unfortunately it turned my issue of having to cap fps at 60hz from an annoyance to full out inability to play. I also started having crashes when playing other games on the new screen so swapped out the PSU with my spare and then did 3 hours of uncapped destiny with no crashes. Looks like an evga rma incoming.

And while we still don't have machine guns in the game, the gatling gun auto rifle this week wasn't a bad replacement. After taking a while to get another autorifle to drop so I could infuse it to the upper 330's, it's become a fun weapon.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Got a 40" 4k monitor and the game looks quite good like that. Unfortunately it turned my issue of having to cap fps at 60hz from an annoyance to full out inability to play. I also started having crashes when playing other games on the new screen so swapped out the PSU with my spare and then did 3 hours of uncapped destiny with no crashes. Looks like an evga rma incoming.

And while we still don't have machine guns in the game, the gatling gun auto rifle this week wasn't a bad replacement. After taking a while to get another autorifle to drop so I could infuse it to the upper 330's, it's become a fun weapon.

Do they make HDR monitors yet or do you have to buy a TV to get that? This game looks really nice in HDR on the PS4 Pro. Not the best looking of course but it’s a definite step up from SDR.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Do they make HDR monitors yet or do you have to buy a TV to get that? This game looks really nice in HDR on the PS4 Pro. Not the best looking of course but it’s a definite step up from SDR.

It's a samsung tv monitor with PC input profile. I got 2 40" models. For one of my computers, I probably would have been better off with a 32 as I don't have as much distance between sitting location and the screen, and it gets pretty massive up close. But even playing MMOs and anything else designed to scale to that rez, they look great.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

There are HDR monitors, although they're still pretty new and tend to be expensive. I could understand getting an HDR monitor if you're going all-out on a new gaming PC, but I suspect HDR will be mostly TV-centric for a while.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sigh i think i am done with this game for a while...

There honestly seems to be no gain for repetition.
At most i just wait for Xur each weekend to see if he is selling any exotics i dont have.

But also my clan is mostly dead, and i don't feel i can commit to the commitment which new active clans require.
But once you hit that 330+ Light, and have the weapons you want, which btw i feel is stupid because only a handful of them are actually useful, the game becomes just ordinary.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Sort of in the same boat... haven't picked it up in a few weeks now. Clan isn't active at all and leveling up doesn't really seem to make the game any better. The last couple of flashpoints, from the looks of it, have been on my least favorite locales so I haven't even bothered. I'll check out the next DLC since I got the SP but it looks like I'll retire after that.

I did have a great time with the game though; most notably on PC once the Vega drivers were fixed.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Sort of in the same boat... haven't picked it up in a few weeks now. Clan isn't active at all and leveling up doesn't really seem to make the game any better. The last couple of flashpoints, from the looks of it, have been on my least favorite locales so I haven't even bothered. I'll check out the next DLC since I got the SP but it looks like I'll retire after that.

I haven't played it at all since a little bit after Curse of Osiris released.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't recall you being much of a fan of the game to begin with though...

I also don't think the Osiris DLC was quite as bad as people claimed, however it certainly wasn't very good either. Mercury seemed like something that they cut from the original storyline, especially with the forest, and it also brought some additional speculation to Bungie's agenda with future content and the franchise in general.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Clan system in the game sucks [removed] as it seems the pc version stuck with same bad implementation as on consoles. Limit way too small, lack of bringing elements in game, and general Jerry rigged feel of the system.

Careful, the powers above have expressed to me they want to keep this section of the forum [PG] language wise. Lets not poke the sleeping Overlords above.

Since it was a boarderline word, i'll let u get away with a light warning.

PC Gaming Moderator Aigo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't recall you being much of a fan of the game to begin with though...

Not sure if that really matters. It really isn't hard to capture my attention. Heck, I've been playing ACO lately until far too late into the morning because I have a major case of Just-One-More-Quest-ism. :p The game has faults that aren't being addressed, and all the negative news stories don't really help fuel my desire to jump back in either.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
sigh i think i am done with this game for a while...

There honestly seems to be no gain for repetition.
At most i just wait for Xur each weekend to see if he is selling any exotics i dont have.

But also my clan is mostly dead, and i don't feel i can commit to the commitment which new active clans require.
But once you hit that 330+ Light, and have the weapons you want, which btw i feel is stupid because only a handful of them are actually useful, the game becomes just ordinary.

Yep that's how this game is. Gotta wait for the next expansion to get anything to really do unless you love to chase cosmetic items. I have both my Warlock and Hunter at 335 with my main legendary weapons upgraded to masterwork and have every exotic available for both classes. Not going to touch it until the next expansion. Pretty much my entire Clan and entire friend list on PS4 doesn't even log into the game lol. My friend list ihas about 50 players who were all on destiny 2 up until about a few weeks after osiris exp.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I keep playing, but that's partly because I don't have enough time to max it out as much as I'd like. I do think Bungie has been better about dribbling out improvements to keep people coming back, but it's still true that usage patterns aren't like those of an MMO: they peak around new content and drop quickly afterward. I suspect the company will want to revisit its content strategy and think about changes that encourage more regular play.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
It's going to be a long and lonely year for Destiny 2 players, it's a beautiful game with absolutely no reason to login and play. A looter shooter with terrible loot.

Reactions: wickedout2015

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It seems like you spent the majority of that arguing semantics even though you understood what I was talking about. I refer to them as "zones" as they're distinctively marked areas on the map. If I was talking about Titan or Io, I would have used "planets". My problem is related to two distinct issues about Destiny's design and art style. The first is that the design lacks good, distinct aspects in areas. If you asked me to talk about the EDZ, all I could really talk about is the church in the one area and the Cabal base at the upper left. (I only know the latter because of how often I've gone there to do the Public Event and had no one else show up... so I had to solo it.) In other words, the areas tend to lack things that really make them visibly distinct from one another.

Talking about being visibly distinct, the second issue is simply with the art style, and this isn't necessarily a problem just with Destiny. (You've probably heard this mentioned before about other games.) Destiny 2 just has a very boring color palette for its worlds. The colors do actually differ to a degree, but they're always so dull and dingy. I realize that they're trying to make the world all realistic and such, but when the zones aren't interesting due to layout/contents and they're visibly boring, you get kind of tired running around. It doesn't help that you just run from Public Event to Public Event, which there are only... eight distinct events? (I'm counting the ones that I can remember, and that's what I came up with. Although, some of them are so close that I almost forgot about them or are very limited in where they occur.)

Speaking of Public Events, why doesn't Destiny 2 let you talk to people around you in a public manner? It's kind of irritating doing the weapons exchange one, and watching some player that has no idea what they're doing pick up an orb. I just want to type "/s go put it in the the shield thing over there!", but I can't. ...or I can say say "we're at 30%, go shoot the ship!"

Running around doing those repeatedly for useless gear usually gets me bored pretty quickly. If I'm lucky, I'll get an engram while doing it, but that's pretty rare. Although, speaking of that, I used to have such bad luck getting engrams (in the past, my teammates would get tons, but I usually got none), but I've been getting more lately... even within raids. Did they change something?

So basically you like brighter colors

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yea I don't really understand the whole color palette argument either... I mean you could always go play Subnautica or Halo or something if you want bright, vivid and a wider range of colors. there's absolutely nothing wrong with the choice of color in Destiny 1 or 2 if you ask me; there are hundreds of more popular games with worse visuals and more niche color palettes. it's funny to even bring that up really because this isn't an adobe Illustrator course in graphic design, it's just "for fun" gaming. sorry it doesn't appeal to your specific liking of hues. i can't imagine basing my gaming experiences off of something like that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So basically you like brighter colors

No, I don't like the same, boring drab colors. But here's the thing... if I am literally SO DISENGAGED from the game that I am critiquing the boring color palettes (and I'm not acting in the role of a critic), then what does that say about the game? Heck, I recently finished a playthrough of Assassin's Creed Origins of around 60 hours, and even though that game is mostly a sandy desert, you don't hear me complaining. (Albeit, I do think the DLC is pretty lackluster.)

Also, given the dwindling player numbers, Destiny 2 is failing pretty hardcore right now, so apparently, it's not just me. :eek:

All in all, I think a lot of it comes down to how I can look at elements of Destiny 2 and say "I think this other game does this aspect better." For example, I think Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are more engaging RPG-like shooters. I know some people like to reference Warframe, but I've never played it.

The part that confuses me is why you two are so offended that I don't care for the game. I don't think it's terrible, but it's definitely not as good as I expected from all of the hype that people were giving it. Also makes me think that we didn't miss much from the original Destiny being a console-exclusive release. :p

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Watched the year 2 reveal trailer. Lots of interesting stuff coming, but wonder if that's why the current DLC has seemed so skimpy.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Watch the year 2 reveal trailer. Lots of interesting stuff coming, but wonder if that's why the current DLC has seemed so skimpy.

They have always maintained that they want to add things over time to the game outside the big DLC releases. Special events and tweaks that come sporadically

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I haven't logged in for a couple weeks, for the weapons that had their properties changed do they also modify versions you've already acquired?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I haven't logged in for a couple weeks, for the weapons that had their properties changed do they also modify versions you've already acquired?

Yes any changes to weapon damage modifiers applies to all weapons of that type. Same for any exotic gear modifications that they adjust, anything you owned already also gets the changes.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
just bumping this thread - destiny 2 is free through november 18 to PC players. just need to sign up for a battle.net account if you don't have one already.

pretty neat game so far. great environments/music. was going to buy it launch day, but got discouraged by the fact that it had been out on consoles for weeks. now i have it for free, woooo!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
check the launcher for a free gambit period for those with just the base game coming up.