Destiny 2 PC Discussion

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Started playing this game today. The game looks beautiful (minus jaggies) on ultrawide.

I'll be frank and say that I think the Destiny world may have nice textures and be graphically pleasing, but my goodness is it a bland, boring and sterile world. It didn't really bug me so much at first, but after spending quite a few hours in the game, it became readily apparent that there was so little to separate areas from each other that if someone told me "teleport to the Gulch", I'd have no idea where that is. Why is that? Because areas lack distinction. Zones are largely defined using the same sort of assets and using very dull tones. Now, let's compare this to World of WarCraft where zones are designed in a distinctive manner to make them feel a bit different.

I haven't logged in to check out Mars to see if it's any different, but I doubt it. I'm assuming there will be plenty of yellow and light red everywhere.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I'll be frank and say that I think the Destiny world may have nice textures and be graphically pleasing, but my goodness is it a bland, boring and sterile world. It didn't really bug me so much at first, but after spending quite a few hours in the game, it became readily apparent that there was so little to separate areas from each other that if someone told me "teleport to the Gulch", I'd have no idea where that is. Why is that? Because areas lack distinction. Zones are largely defined using the same sort of assets and using very dull tones. Now, let's compare this to World of WarCraft where zones are designed in a distinctive manner to make them feel a bit different.

I haven't logged in to check out Mars to see if it's any different, but I doubt it. I'm assuming there will be plenty of yellow and light red everywhere.

The Gulch or Winding Cove aren't the zones though, the EDZ is the zone. It's even in the name of the EDZ - European Dead Zone. Gulch and Cove are part of the EDZ. To use your WoW analogy - all of Elwynn Forest looks like Elwynn Forest, why do they keep using green grass, wolves, kobolds, and trees... The EDZ is different from Titan, is different from Nessus, is different from Io, is different from Mercury. You are completely entitled to your opinion and I do agree that I wish there was more done overall with the worlds (more hidden stuff, things to explore, etc) but the example of a counter you provided is spectacularly poor. You are asking why do all the trees, rocks, buildings and dirt look similar within what's probably a 10sq mile area of Europe.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

you mean Mercury? All of the planets are quite different and I don't think the world/lore is boring at all, especially when you're going around and participating in public events or playing with a good fire team exploring lost sectors and side quests. not sure what you were expecting but not only are the worlds gorgeously rendered imho but there's plenty of stuff going on. EDZ has ships crusing around all over the place, nessus has some really interesting architecture and design and Io I mean OH MY GOD is that JUPITER!!?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The Gulch or Winding Cove aren't the zones though, the EDZ is the zone. It's even in the name of the EDZ - European Dead Zone. Gulch and Cove are part of the EDZ. To use your WoW analogy - all of Elwynn Forest looks like Elwynn Forest, why do they keep using green grass, wolves, kobolds, and trees... The EDZ is different from Titan, is different from Nessus, is different from Io, is different from Mercury. You are completely entitled to your opinion and I do agree that I wish there was more done overall with the worlds (more hidden stuff, things to explore, etc) but the example of a counter you provided is spectacularly poor. You are asking why do all the trees, rocks, buildings and dirt look similar within what's probably a 10sq mile area of Europe.

It seems like you spent the majority of that arguing semantics even though you understood what I was talking about. I refer to them as "zones" as they're distinctively marked areas on the map. If I was talking about Titan or Io, I would have used "planets". My problem is related to two distinct issues about Destiny's design and art style. The first is that the design lacks good, distinct aspects in areas. If you asked me to talk about the EDZ, all I could really talk about is the church in the one area and the Cabal base at the upper left. (I only know the latter because of how often I've gone there to do the Public Event and had no one else show up... so I had to solo it.) In other words, the areas tend to lack things that really make them visibly distinct from one another.

Talking about being visibly distinct, the second issue is simply with the art style, and this isn't necessarily a problem just with Destiny. (You've probably heard this mentioned before about other games.) Destiny 2 just has a very boring color palette for its worlds. The colors do actually differ to a degree, but they're always so dull and dingy. I realize that they're trying to make the world all realistic and such, but when the zones aren't interesting due to layout/contents and they're visibly boring, you get kind of tired running around. It doesn't help that you just run from Public Event to Public Event, which there are only... eight distinct events? (I'm counting the ones that I can remember, and that's what I came up with. Although, some of them are so close that I almost forgot about them or are very limited in where they occur.)

Speaking of Public Events, why doesn't Destiny 2 let you talk to people around you in a public manner? It's kind of irritating doing the weapons exchange one, and watching some player that has no idea what they're doing pick up an orb. I just want to type "/s go put it in the the shield thing over there!", but I can't. ...or I can say say "we're at 30%, go shoot the ship!"

especially when you're going around and participating in public events

Running around doing those repeatedly for useless gear usually gets me bored pretty quickly. If I'm lucky, I'll get an engram while doing it, but that's pretty rare. Although, speaking of that, I used to have such bad luck getting engrams (in the past, my teammates would get tons, but I usually got none), but I've been getting more lately... even within raids. Did they change something?

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
There's a bugged exotic introduced in the DLC - Prometheus Lens. I went up against some guy in PVP last night that had it, it's crazy bugged and he killed everyone before there's even time to react. It's time to kill seems 10x faster than everything else, Bungie's already confirmed there's an issue on Twitter.

Have fun in the Crucible!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There's a bugged exotic introduced in the DLC - Prometheus Lens. I went up against some guy in PVP last night that had it, it's crazy bugged and he killed everyone before there's even time to react. It's time to kill seems 10x faster than everything else, Bungie's already confirmed there's an issue on Twitter.

Have fun in the Crucible!

Lucky for me I don't play that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's almost as if they don't even play test the game.

Patch notes say HDR added for PS4 and then it doesn't work and they say on twitter that they are working on it. FFS they said soon after launch and then 3 months after launch they still can't get it working. Now this weapon clearly was never tested either.

PowerK

May 29, 2012
How do you take screenshot in this game ??
- RTSS doesn't work with this game. (OSD, framerate limit.. nope)
- MSI AfterBurner's screen capture (I have hotkey to F12) doesn't work with this game.
- Win+PrtScn doesn't seem to work either.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's almost as if they don't even play test the game.

Patch notes say HDR added for PS4 and then it doesn't work and they say on twitter that they are working on it. FFS they said soon after launch and then 3 months after launch they still can't get it working. Now this weapon clearly was never tested either.

I blame activision for that type of thing... rushing the developers to meet absurd deadlines so the publisher can cash in. "just get it out and we'll fix it later..." is the typical publisher attitude

How do you take screenshot in this game ??
- RTSS doesn't work with this game. (OSD, framerate limit.. nope)
- MSI AfterBurner's screen capture (I have hotkey to F12) doesn't work with this game.
- Win+PrtScn doesn't seem to work either.

isn't Alt+G the screen capture on Windows 10?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I blame activision for that type of thing... rushing the developers to meet absurd deadlines so the publisher can cash in. "just get it out and we'll fix it later..." is the typical publisher attitude

isn't Alt+G the screen capture on Windows 10?

Well bungie could play test stuff they add to the game. 2 seconds and you’d see that there is a problem.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
The OP/literally broken Prometheus Lens is being sold by Xur currently, in case you want to have some fun with it before it gets fixed.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sigh..

the prometheus gun is so utterly broken...

if your team mates dont have it... gg...

if your not lvl20+ and cant buy it from xur... gg

they should not wait for this patch... they should of nerf'd it the moment they realized its gg.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
It's so broken it's hilarious. At first I wanted to be mad, then you play a round or two and it's just comical. From dying after you killed the other person because you burn to death, to feeling sorry and then laughing at the helpless lvl 9 player, and even the sound it makes. It is absolutely ridiculous.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
sigh..

the prometheus gun is so utterly broken...

if your team mates dont have it... gg...

if your not lvl20+ and cant buy it from xur... gg

they should not wait for this patch... they should of nerf'd it the moment they realized its gg.

Yeah I agree but like I said if they tried it out even for a second they would see a problem and could fix it then. This whole dlc is super disappointing and there is no excuses for the missteps they took.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
DLC story missions were also mostly boring and anti-climatic AF. Didn't really like the "boss" at the end either, terrible design.

Mercury looks cool but aside from the forest it's pretty small. Oh well, I'm running out of gas in playing this game anyway--I way overdid it lol

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Mercury looks cool but aside from the forest it's pretty small. Oh well, I'm running out of gas in playing this game anyway--I way overdid it lol

I actually liked the look of the pre-Vex Mercury. That goes back to what I said about the game not having very vibrant or contrasting color palettes. Pre-Infinite Forest Mercury had just that, and all we get to fight in are the procedurally-generated, boring levels. :oops:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yes, old Mercury was certainly of the vibrant variety. i thought the forest was neat... the first time I passed through. after that I was like oh hey cannon fodder enemy generation and easy platforming, great...

it's kind of bad that the best part of the DLC was the pre-rendered sequence with Osiris and the Vex; the actual playable bits didn't even come close to the coolness factor of that encounter. the first time Panoptes(sp?) appeared I thought I had to fight it. i eventually got blown to bits by tons of Vex mobs.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I thought the story missions were a slog, the glorious visuals wear off eventually and the story was... not great.

Hilariously though, I'm ran through the story missions on an alt and it wasn't nearly as bad. And I do mean running, literally. I just ran past all the enemies... all of them! You can bypass 90% of the enemies... maybe even more than that. It's hilarious, there's only a handful of spots you have to stop and clear out so enemies to advance.

The story missions are so unbelievably easy that you're never in any danger by simply running past the enemies. They all fire a couple times, then just move around doing nothing. Every time.

With all that said, this game does look amazing in 4K with HDR. The HDR actually removes what appears to be a weird hazy filter covering everything... it's a monstrous improvement. Sadly my 1080 chugs with several enemies on screen but it's not big deal when you're just running past everyone and damn it looks glorious. :)

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Anyone interested in playing this game together? If so, add me to your friends list (username is patentman).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
With all that said, this game does look amazing in 4K with HDR. The HDR actually removes what appears to be a weird hazy filter covering everything... it's a monstrous improvement. Sadly my 1080 chugs with several enemies on screen but it's not big deal when you're just running past everyone and damn it looks glorious. :)

Hm, if that's the case, I should try it on my TV. Although, I wonder how long it will take for the visual artifacts to annoy me. :p I never realized how I've become so unused to tearing from when I tried to game on my TV.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
This DLC is receiving a lot of negative press. I was actually thinking about getting this one, but it has me conflicted. I've heard a lot of praise for The Division with the new update. Anyone here who's played it after the big patch?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
So after pretty much stopping after hitting 20 on my first char, been playing a bit since the DLC hit. Looks like I need to get into a good size clan for the weekly rewards, where exactly do we find them as nothing present in the in game system it seems other than invites you've gotten.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
So after pretty much stopping after hitting 20 on my first char, been playing a bit since the DLC hit. Looks like I need to get into a good size clan for the weekly rewards, where exactly do we find them as nothing present in the in game system it seems other than invites you've gotten.
At bungie.net you'll find the recruitment section. Biggest issue from the first game is still the biggest issue with D2. They really need an in game clan chat and a lfg channel. Even if you have to opt in to them that's better than nonexistent.