Destiny 2 PC Discussion

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
reached level 280, finally after a bit of a grind and only being able to play a few hours on days I can manage it...

am I missing something with the legendary mods? I know how to exchange them from rare ones and then dismantle to craft new ones but pretty much all of my gear already had a purple mod and I can't really do any infusing with my current collection. I keep getting decent drops but my level just doesn't want to improve for whatever reason. clan xp is rolling in but I might need to find a new one... not many active users, ironically.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Basically your best leveling will come on the weekly reset when you do your weekly milestones. Other than that if you are in a bigger clan who does nightfall or Raid etc you can obtain a scaled legendary that will help as well. When a clan finishes Raid, Nightfall, Crucible win, or Trials win the entire clan gets an engram as a reward. Other than that you have to hope on lucky drops on exotic engrams that can be a bit higher and can be infused to your other gear.

Reactions: EXCellR8

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
sounds like I need to find myself a more active group then... the last few times I was able to log on I was the only member playing out of like 30.

starting to get the itch for new content as well, as i've played the game to death across two platforms and three characters lol

indydude345

Nov 5, 2016
I reached 303 today, I haven't really played much since my 980 Ti went poo poo, but I still did it. I really want to do the raid and ToN to get 305 before the DLC drops.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
We ended up beating the raid the other night. Callus was an odd fight that seemed to have either a bug or an intentional limiter in it. During that fight when you get on the platforms to kill him, we'd get him down to about half on the third platform, and the game refused to let us use the fourth one. (It just started the next add phase.) However, during the second damage phase, we got to use it.

Power ammo always drops from yellow mobs just FYI. If you are low, kill them.

Other than that I always try to give very specific instructions for people. As detailed as possible so there are no surprises.

I did have some problems refilling my power ammo to full at times, but the issue was usually with other types of ammo. In most situations, you don't normally swap to energy weapons unless there's a shield or for some reason, that weapon just works better due to some weird circumstance. For example, once their power ammo was spent, some raid members used Coldheart on Callus (I think?) because it deals more damage over time. So, what ended up happening is that I'd use my Kinetic weapon almost 95% of the time on most fights, because I had no reason to swap, and that meant that I usually ran really low. If I do get ammo to drop, it may not be in a great spot, and going to grab it could put me out of range of a raid objective that I need to take care of.

I guess it bugs me, because apart from limiting power weapon usage, having limited ammo in this game doesn't feel like a necessary aspect. In a game like Resident Evil, they limit ammo because (a) it's a horror game, and (b) you're not meant to use your weapon all the time. The only thing that I could think of is that Bungie expects you to go around meleeing more often...? I melee in a few spots like when the dogs release during the Callus fight.

What if they just added an ammo restoration device somewhere around boss fights, and it cost glimmer to use it? I'm already maxed out on glimmer, so it would at least give me something to spend it on. That wouldn't fix the issue of poor ammo drops, but it would at least remove the need for ammo runs while also giving them a "gold sink".

That's funny, I did my first raid this weekend (first raid ever, in any game) and had the exact same experience. It took us almost four hours to finish the raid, we did beat it but 1.5 hours were spent on that section where you stand on the plates in large part because I thought I had to stand on that circle the whole time.

We eventually swapped to the rotation method instead of the static method. I'm not sure if I can say which method was easier, but I didn't have to deal with the psion at all, so it might have been easier on me. :p The raid did take us nearly 10-12 hours though, so it definitely wasn't a quick affair like yours. Albeit, it doesn't help that we started rather late on both days (around a 1-2 AM start time).

I played a hunter and I had a bad build with too much mobility and little recovery. Recovery in the raid seems like the uber stat, well... not just in the raid but the game in general Recovery seems OP, but in the raid you frequently have to take cover and that's where getting back in the fight sooner is everything.

I'm wondering if mobility would be better on the last part of the Gauntlet fight? One thing I noticed is that I got left behind rather badly during that part, and I was sprinting the entire time. Albeit, I did get screwed over a bit during one of the jumps as it made me climb up to the top hole when I was trying to jump into the middle one.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
sounds like I need to find myself a more active group then... the last few times I was able to log on I was the only member playing out of like 30.

starting to get the itch for new content as well, as i've played the game to death across two platforms and three characters lol

Yeah when my current clan was really active I was getting 8 scaled legendary engrams a week (4 per character) not including the luminous engrams I get from milestones.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yeah when my current clan was really active I was getting 8 scaled legendary engrams a week (4 per character) not including the luminous engrams I get from milestones.

:\

sigh.... a good clan or a good fire team of friends is so important in this game....

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'll give it a whirl tonight if I get home at a reasonable time... if there's activity great, if not I might bail on my current clan.

when's the next faction skirmish or whatever?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
sounds good. i did play for about 90 minutes last night but my game was running pretty lousy. tracked it down to a corrupt graphics driver install so I did a clean upgrade, which helped, but it was still not 100% right. i inspected my drive to see if maybe there were more processes accessing the disk but there was not. it was super annoying though because my in-menu mouse movement was super dodgy and before updating the graphics drivers my framerate was quite poor--like just enough to be playable.

still managed to reach 284 power level though... able to use my trusty sniper rifle again after a nice infusion

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
If anyone doesn't know there's a free trial/demo running now. I finished downloading and played a little bit tonight, got to lvl 7. I'm pretty ... unimpressed really and I don't think I'll be playing anymore. As a single-player shooter it's polished and fun, even with the same-old "Halo" mechanics. But it doesn't seem to have nearly enough content to justify a $60 price tag (+expansions too), and as an "MMO-like" it's missing too many of the basic MMO elements to be very compelling. There doesn't seem to be any chat/social aspect, no economy at all, no crafting or trading, and no form of guild or faction competition. Those are the things that make an MMO interesting and keep me motivated to level up and gear up. I never played Destiny 1 so I didn't really know what to expect, but this is a pretty lame excuse for an FPS-MMO.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If anyone doesn't know there's a free trial/demo running now. I finished downloading and played a little bit tonight, got to lvl 7. I'm pretty ... unimpressed really and I don't think I'll be playing anymore. As a single-player shooter it's polished and fun, even with the same-old "Halo" mechanics. But it doesn't seem to have nearly enough content to justify a $60 price tag (+expansions too), and as an "MMO-like" it's missing too many of the basic MMO elements to be very compelling. There doesn't seem to be any chat/social aspect, no economy at all, no crafting or trading, and no form of guild or faction competition. Those are the things that make an MMO interesting and keep me motivated to level up and gear up. I never played Destiny 1 so I didn't really know what to expect, but this is a pretty lame excuse for an FPS-MMO.

Well it’s NOT an MMO it’s a loot shooter. It never was advertised as an mmo.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yea... also there's PLENTY of content for 60 dollars if you invest a bit of time with the game. the experience only gets better once you complete the solo missions also.

can't please everyone

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
But what if i am only interested in single player?

Then buy gears of war instead...

No seriously... this game is not fun at all if you dont intend to join a clan or play with friends.
And if you dont like PVP, well, then a big chunk of the game is ruled out.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
The game can be played solo just fine all the way to the level cap. If you use LFG sites you can actually reach the cap pretty closely to the same time as everyone else. The key is being in a clan, not necessarily playing with them... this way you get access to the powerful gear rewards each week to assist with leveling.

Sadly, once you reach 305 on all three classes there's nothing to do afterward. This game has nothing interesting or intriguing about it at that point... I've already beaten the raid and nightfalls... I have a ton of exotics, not every exotic granted... but I have a lot on all three characters. What's the incentive to keep playing?

Not sure if the upcoming xpac will raise the level cap but this game needs not necessarily "more content" but rather an actual end-game of some sort. It can't just be... grind for cosmetic armors. It seems like they thought shaders would be an end game activity... which is laughable since my inventory is maxxed out with shaders and they're nearly all worthless/terrible.

It seems an oversight to me that the guns don't need any leveling up themselves, you should have to use the guns to unlock all their attributes. And the perks on each gun should vary so that every time you get a "Nameless Midnight" rifle there's a chance it's better than the one you already have. Instead, what we have is everything's identical and you just salvage EVERYTHING after a certain point. I stopped turning in my tokens to vendors awhile ago because I can't be bothered with salvaging all the duplicate items I would get from turning them in. They would all be dups and I have all the guns/armor I could ever want at this point.

And I'm not even at 305 yet, my three characters are all between 297 and 302... and yet I haven't gotten any useful loot for awhile now. This game needs an end game, fast.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

No seriously... this game is not fun at all if you dont intend to join a clan or play with friends.

I don’t play PvP in this game other than for the weekly milestone but have well over 100 hours in it. I made things to do for myself. Searching out the best exotics for each subclass to maximize effectiveness, filling out my collection of exotics (I have them all for the classes I play), and getting my characters to 305.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The game can be played solo just fine all the way to the level cap. If you use LFG sites you can actually reach the cap pretty closely to the same time as everyone else. The key is being in a clan, so you get powerful gear rewards to work towards each week to assist with leveling.

Sadly, once you reach 305 on all three classes there's nothing to do afterward. This game has nothing interesting or intriguing about it at that point... I've already beaten the raid and nightfalls... I have a ton of exotics, not every exotic granted... but I have a lot on all three characters. What's the incentive to keep playing?

Not sure if the upcoming xpac will raise the level cap but this game needs not necessarily "more content" but rather an actual end-game of some sort. It can't just be... grind for cosmetic armors. It seems like they thought shaders would be an end game activity... which is laughable since my inventory is maxxed out with shaders and they're nearly all worthless/terrible.

It seems an oversight to me that the guns don't need any leveling up themselves, you should have to use the guns to unlock all their attributes. And the perks on each gun should vary so that every time you get a "Nameless Midnight" rifle there's a chance it's better than the one you already have. Instead, what we have is everything's identical and you just salvage EVERYTHING after a certain point. I stopped turning in my tokens to vendors awhile ago because I can't be bothered with salvaging all the duplicate items I would get from turning them in. They would all be dups and I have all the guns/armor I could ever want at this point.

And I'm not even at 305 yet, my three characters are all between 297 and 302... and yet I haven't gotten any useful loot for awhile now. This game needs an end game, fast.

The expansion raises level cap and adds new items. There will be a new strike, some added areas to explore, and new raid areas.

In the first game you had to level weapons. There were lots of complaints about that artificial grind so they removed it and I am glad for it. Seriously it took multiple hours just to finish out some of them only to find out the weapon sucked.

This is a game you don’t play every day. That may seem odd but the way it is setup is that you play after the weekly reset and do your weekly activities. That is where you get the best gear. You may log in on the weekend to do trials of the nine as well. If you try to play every day you will inevitably get a ton of gear you can’t use and won’t progress. You will get bored. That’s just how this game is. Play a few days a week to get your gear and do activities.

Reactions: nurturedhate

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011

I don’t play PvP in this game other than for the weekly milestone but have well over 100 hours in it.

137h with the min to get the pvp milestones and the iron banner stuff, skipped the trials of nine stuff. Aigomorla is correct about the first part. It is a far better experience playing this game with other people. I'd honestly say this game is great for people without a lot of free time or who like to play multiple games. The min required weekly time is a lot lower than other loot based multiplayer games.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
137h with the min to get the pvp milestones and the iron banner stuff, skipped the trials of nine stuff. Aigomorla is correct about the first part. It is a far better experience playing this game with other people. I'd honestly say this game is great for people without a lot of free time or who like to play multiple games. The min required weekly time is a lot lower than other loot based multiplayer games.

Yeah that’s what I was saying above. Play a few days a week and do your milestones and a few events. You don’t have to dedicate your life to it. It’s a great game to play in addition to others as they come out. You can easily balance multiple titles when you play Destiny.

Reactions: nurturedhate

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I don’t play PvP in this game other than for the weekly milestone but have well over 100 hours in it. I made things to do for myself. Searching out the best exotics for each subclass to maximize effectiveness, filling out my collection of exotics (I have them all for the classes I play), and getting my characters to 305.

Well thats the point.
IF you dont like PVP u lose out in the game, and also your still doing the milestone for that purple engram.

There are better games out there if you like grinding for weapons and story.
I honestly think Mass Effect Andromeda probably has a better Coop then the NightFall strikes and strike missions Destiny 2 has.
Also ME:A has better assortment of guns you can use instead of the META this game has.

But that is just me... they both can get boring really fast, but at least its not like Battlefront 2, and loot boxes spam...
Well ME:A is... but the grind is not as bad as BF2.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well thats the point.
IF you dont like PVP u lose out in the game, and also your still doing the milestone for that purple engram.

There are better games out there if you like grinding for weapons and story.
I honestly think Mass Effect Andromeda probably has a better Coop then the NightFall strikes and strike missions Destiny 2 has.
Also ME:A has better assortment of guns you can use instead of the META this game has.

But that is just me... they both can get boring really fast, but at least its not like Battlefront 2, and loot boxes spam...
Well ME:A is... but the grind is not as bad as BF2.

No...mass effect andromeda is one of the absolute worst games I’ve played all year.

I also have over 100 hours in destiny 2 overall, not the pvp.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
lots of stuff to do in the game right now due to season 2 starting... me likey

also... level cap raised + heroic strikes unlocked; if you got the DLC pass mercury is also available, which has a new strike with Cabal, Vex and for some reason a few Hive goons.

Last edited:

PowerK

May 29, 2012
Started playing this game today. The game looks beautiful (minus jaggies) on ultrawide.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
lots of stuff to do in the game right now due to season 2 starting... me likey

also... level cap raised + heroic strikes unlocked; if you got the DLC pass mercury is also available, which has a new strike with Cabal, Vex and for some reason a few Hive goons.

That’s good to hear. I’m gonna start playing today(I am on PS4 of course) but will miss Friday through Sunday as I will be out of town.