Destiny 2 PC Discussion

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's definitely smaller than the rest of the maps but it's also denser and more populated with less open space. It's still my least favorite but even IO is small in relation to Earth and Nessus. It's like 30% open space, 20% populated by enemies and the remaining 50% is all Pyramidion lol

I do kind of miss Mars and Old Russia from the first one, but definitely not Earth's moon that world sucked.

They are bringing back some of the exploration areas from the first game, probably adding adventures and other stuff to them. This was announced a few weeks ago on a twitch live stream they did.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I highly recommend Nvidia users install the new driver! I am seeing big performance gains at 4k60. I wish I had time to play this game more. I still have yet to complete a Nightfall or a Raid.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was wondering if someone may have a good resource on understanding the power level system in Destiny 2. I did a bit of searching, and I found out about Base Power Level vs. Displayed Power Level, but what I really want to know about is how an event's recommended power level affects your performance based on your (displayed) power level. I tried to do a Nightstrike (240 recommended) with some people the other day, and two of us were about 230 and the other was around 255. It felt like we did almost nothing against any sort of boss creature. :confused_old: So, I'd like to learn how it works... especially if there's info like how WoW's attack tables adjust depending upon level and stats.

I highly recommend Nvidia users install the new driver! I am seeing big performance gains at 4k60. I wish I had time to play this game more. I still have yet to complete a Nightfall or a Raid.

At first, I was a bit baffled as to how I wasn't seeing the huge performance increases that we were promised... then I saw that I had VSync turned on (at 144 FPS). :oops: I kept hitting about 80 FPS or so with that on, but once it turned off, I was getting around 120-160.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
They are bringing back some of the exploration areas from the first game, probably adding adventures and other stuff to them. This was announced a few weeks ago on a twitch live stream they did.

yea, hadn't heard about that. guess a return to a few of the old places would be kind of interesting--even if it's just busy work.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I was wondering if someone may have a good resource on understanding the power level system in Destiny 2. I did a bit of searching, and I found out about Base Power Level vs. Displayed Power Level, but what I really want to know about is how an event's recommended power level affects your performance based on your (displayed) power level. I tried to do a Nightstrike (240 recommended) with some people the other day, and two of us were about 230 and the other was around 255. It felt like we did almost nothing against any sort of boss creature. :confused_old: So, I'd like to learn how it works... especially if there's info like how WoW's attack tables adjust depending upon level and stats.

At first, I was a bit baffled as to how I wasn't seeing the huge performance increases that we were promised... then I saw that I had VSync turned on (at 144 FPS). :oops: I kept hitting about 80 FPS or so with that on, but once it turned off, I was getting around 120-160.

Every level you are below the recommended level is about 3% damage penalty give or take. Meaning you take 3% more damage and deal 3% less. If you're 10 levels low it's almost a 30% penalty. Once you hit 240 then nightfall will be the same from then on. A 305 character doesn't do any more damage than they would at 240 since it's a capped activity. On activities that are uncapped such as prestige strikes you can get bonus damage increases for each level over the recommended up to a point. This is to prevent you from walking into nightfall at 305 and rolling over everything. After that your damage is based on the weapon type and weapon stats.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Every level you are below the recommended level is about 3% damage penalty give or take. Meaning you take 3% more damage and deal 3% less. If you're 10 levels low it's almost a 30% penalty. Once you hit 240 then nightfall will be the same from then on. A 305 character doesn't do any more damage than they would at 240 since it's a capped activity. On activities that are uncapped such as prestige strikes you can get bonus damage increases for each level over the recommended up to a point. This is to prevent you from walking into nightfall at 305 and rolling over everything. After that your damage is based on the weapon type and weapon stats.

Well, we got above the cap, and I can tell you that things were a bit easier... although, still not super easy. The place that seemed to give us the most trouble was probably the first ogre area (Titan Nightfall). As an MMO player, I'm not terribly used to having to deal with mobs spawning behind me, and that's one of the things that was giving us the most grief. It also probably didn't help having to deal with the four resilient mobs at once (two wizards, one ogre, one robot thing). It did seem to help when we pushed from the front and dealt with the warlocks first, and saved the ogre for last.

Amusingly enough, the run that we completed had my client freeze up about halfway. Fortunately, the game is pretty good about putting you back. All I had to do was reopen the game and join the Firestrike that I was in. Although, I wonder if it would've let anyone join in at that point.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Last weeks nightfall had some difficulty to it, especially if you missed any of the time extenders. This week's is a walk in the park. Finished it this morning for 6:30ish left on the timer.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Last weeks nightfall had some difficulty to it, especially if you missed any of the time extenders. This week's is a walk in the park. Finished it this morning for 6:30ish left on the timer.

We cheesed it by having one person stay behind to farm the anomalies. In a way, it makes things slightly harder due to only having two people to deal with those nasty Knights, but getting a few extra minutes was worth it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm gonna try to play tonight if I can; I bought a new PC mic as well that I need to configure.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
We cheesed it by having one person stay behind to farm the anomalies. In a way, it makes things slightly harder due to only having two people to deal with those nasty Knights, but getting a few extra minutes was worth it.

If you know the strike well enough you can basically predict where certain enemies will be and concentrate your fire on them one at a time. For that strike on Titan with the hive I roll with Nameless Midnight Scout RIfle in my Kinetic slot, an arc energy weapon (I use Uriel's Gift) for knight shields, and Curtain Call rocket launcher(the one with cluster bombs). The element for the rocket launcher isn't that important.

This week's nightfall is easy if you have a warlock or titan because pulse grenades wreck shop and with warlock and the crown of tempest you start getting almost instant grenades when you get kills so you can just spam all day and when your grenade and melee are full your super can recharge your health. Titan double pulse grenades is really nice and spamming the barricade helps tremendously at the boss. Hunters running nightstalker can just about stay invisible the entire time by spamming the move.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Nameless Midnight ftw

got a nice level boost last night but I'm probably still trailing behind a bit. earning the clan XP seems to be really paying off and I've gotten several exotic drops just by participating public events.

had to run the game repair before I played because I was getting that "termite" error code. took a bit longer than I would've liked but game worked fine afterwards.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've gotten several exotic drops just by participating public events.

I seem to have the worst luck on getting exotic drops. Although, I was lucky enough to get one when I was working to unlock Sturm. (I like Handcannons. :p) I did end up getting it since you can just finish the last quest by yourself as long as your power level isn't too low. Although, I'd recommend against finishing the entire dungeon as the boss takes forever to kill by yourself, and phase 3 is a huge pain when going solo.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I seem to have the worst luck on getting exotic drops. Although, I was lucky enough to get one when I was working to unlock Sturm. (I like Handcannons. :p) I did end up getting it since you can just finish the last quest by yourself as long as your power level isn't too low. Although, I'd recommend against finishing the entire dungeon as the boss takes forever to kill by yourself, and phase 3 is a huge pain when going solo.

Getting drops is one thing, getting the item you want from it is quite another lol.

Best way to get exotics is to buy a fireteam medallion from eververse which gives an increased drop rate from events. Then do public events over and over. I get an average of one an hour when I do this.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
How does scaling work in pvp? I swear they're killing me instantly and my guns do 10 damage to them. Iron banner btw.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
no a level 1 (10) does the same damage as a level 20 (305)

they only things that change as you level is the amount of skills you have access to and the weps you have

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
My guns must be like the worst thing on the planet then. I'd be lucky to hit over 20 damage.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
My guns must be like the worst thing on the planet then. I'd be lucky to hit over 20 damage.

The damage will all be the same. The difference is in the TTK(time to kill). Some weapons simply kill faster because of their rate of fire or perks. Mida multi-tool has high caliber rounds which will make the enemy flinch a bit when hit and it shoots very fast so it’s TTK is higher than say a Mannanan SR4. SMGs also have a faster TTK than most weapons. Also focus on headshots, it’s important to hit precision shots whenever possible. Also some weapons have damage falloff at certain distances both out far and in close. If you are fighting someone who has a weapon that is at optimal distance and you are not for yours, they will win the firefight.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Range and weapon type is probably what you are seeing. Trying to kill someone with an smg from distance isn't going to work, especially if the person you are trying to kill is using a scout rifle. Also certain weapons have attributes that perform well in pvp such as Uriel's Gift and Better Devils. Look for Better Devils (hand cannon), Mida Multi-Tool (scout), Uriel's Gift (auto) Prosecutor (auto) Origin Story (auto) Sunshot (hand) Curtain Call (rocket) Sins of the Past (rocket) Vigilance Wing (pulse) and a sword you like. Those should cover most pvp situations, through in a merciless fusion rifle and you are set for pve content as well. Also the iron banner smg is real nice for close quarters stuff.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Range and weapon type is probably what you are seeing. Trying to kill someone with an smg from distance isn't going to work, especially if the person you are trying to kill is using a scout rifle. Also certain weapons have attributes that perform well in pvp such as Uriel's Gift and Better Devils. Look for Better Devils (hand cannon), Mida Multi-Tool (scout), Uriel's Gift (auto) Prosecutor (auto) Origin Story (auto) Sunshot (hand) Curtain Call (rocket) Sins of the Past (rocket) Vigilance Wing (pulse) and a sword you like. Those should cover most pvp situations, through in a merciless fusion rifle and you are set for pve content as well. Also the iron banner smg is real nice for close quarters stuff.

I’ll add one weapon that is phenomenal for pvp. Antelope-D kinetic SMG. It’s a rare(blue) smg that is likely the fastest TTK weapon in PvP up close. Lots of players use it with Uriel’s Gift for when they get up close and personal.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
Wow okay I have no idea what weapons I am using I just know in the campaign I own the shit. Seems like I am shooting with pea shooters.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I got my feet wet in the wonderful world of Destiny raiding with doing The Leviathan last night, and well... it was an experience alright. Now, I've raiding quite a lot in World of WarCraft, so I'm pretty used to doing it. Although, in this case, I wasn't expecting to go, and since I've never been there before, I was woefully unprepared. I've always been a bit of a numbers guy. I used to do a bit of number crunching back in the day for Enhancement Shaman in WoW, and frequently read Elitist Jerks, but one thing I have a hard time grasping is when people tell me things like "Oh, Curtain Call is a great rocket launcher!" What exactly makes it a great rocket launcher. Is it some weird effect that you don't know about until you try it out? (That's how it is in Borderlands when you get some crazy, new gun.) The only problem is the nature of trying new power weapons just to lose your ammo pushes you away from trying new things.

Oh, and speaking of ammo, I hate ammo in the raids. The whole idea of an "ammo run" just speaks of bad game design to me. It's partly due to the fact that Destiny mobs always drop ammo of a gun type that you're not using unless they're directed to drop a specific type. For example, public event mobs seem to drop power ammo a lot. Anyway, I tend to use a handcannon often, but once I start running low on ammo, I have to switch from my kinetic to my elemental weapon just so I start getting kinetic ammo drops. It's frustrating since you should only swap if necessary (removing shields, etc.) not to get ammo for your main weapon! I mentioned Borderlands earlier, and at least in that game, you can buy ammo from vendors or get ammo regeneration mods, which are arguably necessary for characters using rapid-fire weapons.

One of the other things that gave me trouble was just the direction that I was given. I'm a very literal player when it comes to direction... effectively the equivalent of what's expected from a soldier in the military. If you tell me to stand in spot A, I will stand there and never move, because I was never directed to do so. We were doing Gauntlet, and I was on one of the platforms. The only time that I was directed to leave was to kill the shielded mob that spawns, and I did that... however, I would leash back to my platform every time. (I might slightly curve on the path back to grab some power ammo.) What ends up happening is that... of course... I run out of kinetic ammo, and my energy weapons aren't good enough to kill things fast enough. (I'm only something like a 276 power level compared to teammates that are 305.) Well, turns out that the only time that I actually need to be on that platform is when someone is going to pass through my gate. THAT is what you need to tell me. Keep it simple. Keep it precise.

Honestly, all in all, it was rather frustrating and far too long of an affair.

Reactions: OCNewbie

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Power ammo always drops from yellow mobs just FYI. If you are low, kill them.

Other than that I always try to give very specific instructions for people. As detailed as possible so there are no surprises.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
That's funny, I did my first raid this weekend (first raid ever, in any game) and had the exact same experience. It took us almost four hours to finish the raid, we did beat it but 1.5 hours were spent on that section where you stand on the plates in large part because I thought I had to stand on that circle the whole time.

All in all, the raid was still awesome and the group that took me through were great... aside from that one part we did fine, it took four hours because we got lost multiple times running through the underbelly.

I played a hunter and I had a bad build with too much mobility and little recovery. Recovery in the raid seems like the uber stat, well... not just in the raid but the game in general Recovery seems OP, but in the raid you frequently have to take cover and that's where getting back in the fight sooner is everything.