Desk chair was molested. Replaced.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Safeway
I bought an 'executive' leather office chair from Staples about 3 years ago. It was a fine chair. Served its purpose with efficiency. That is, until one of my hefty friends decided to make use of its reclining feature. I heard a loud noise, looked to my left, and saw his feet pointing straight up.

Crime Scene Photo

I didn't know what to do! I have been sitting on the amputated rolling platform of back pain. I can't stand the pressure, the lack of lumbar support. Which side is the front? Which is the back? So today, I decided to do something about it:

Replacement 1
Replacement 2
Replacement 3

Ooh nice choice! I didn't think those were a big deal until I my boss let me sit in his...it's a beast! Trying to convince my wife that I need one is another story ;)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Kaido
Originally posted by: TheTony
Originally posted by: pcslookout
Originally posted by: CFster
Here.

Will look at trying one of those and if I don't like it return it for free.

If it doesn't EAT you first :Q :Q

:thumbsup:

Hmmm.....

Does it come with a plug for your neck like Neo has in the Matrix? :confused:

Exactly what I was thinking. That chair scares me.

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: TheTony
Originally posted by: CFster
Here.

Will look at trying one of those and if I don't like it return it for free.

If it doesn't EAT you first :Q :Q

:thumbsup:

Hmmm.....

That Carl's Table is the cat's ass. It's actually made for radiologists. The whole thing goes up and down at the touch of a button and tilts. So do the screens.

It also costs between $9000 and $13000.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Originally posted by: BigJ
I think almost everyone I know has at one time had that first chair.

Yep... The infamous Staples Global "Executive Chair". I got mine on sale for $50, and so did my Dad and a bunch of other people I know!

The web says that it has a lifetime warranty! Make 'em give you a replacement!

I did when mine had a problem. They sent out the replacement part pronto.

However the padding is so wore after five years that I feel like I'm sitting on a board (wait, I am, aren't I?). Time for an upgrade. Staples had some chairs that were awesome for like $60 off. Metal frame and all. Very appreciable to the Lane models.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I have an Aeron at work but I can't really say it's any more comfortable than my 12 year old, $50 Best Buy special I have at home.

I hope you have many comfortable years in that chair though. And keep your hefty friends off of it ;).

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
That Aeron doesn't look that comfortable--what kind of padding for your fanny and back does it provide?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
That Aeron doesn't look that comfortable--what kind of padding for your fanny and back does it provide?

It's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be ergonomic. The point of the Aeron is to sit in it for 8 hours and then get up and feel like you've only been sitting for a few minutes. If you want comfortable, you need a plush chair.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: TehMac

The support provided by an Aeron is top notch. As for comfort, they come in different sizes. So you need to get the right size to fit you.

And unlike foam padding, the Pellicle mesh does not wear down. But it unfortunately wears down any cotton material clothing.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: adairusmc
I really want to get one of those chairs one of these days.

You really should try out the Aeron chair for a few weeks or months to make sure its ok. You can't test out a chair locally for a few minutes or hours and know if you will like it. Not possible. That what I did. Bought it online tried it for a while then returned it for free without any money out of my pocket. Had three different chairs at one time to try and see.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Auric
lulz

I suspect he was using the wrong sized Aeron for his fat ass. As for the armrests, what is so hard about turning to lock them into place??? His only valid complaint is how the Pellicle mesh does indeed wear down soft clothing. But this material holds up over the years. Feels and looks the same as when I first got my Aeron 6 or 7 years ago.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: adairusmc
I really want to get one of those chairs one of these days.

You really should try out the Aeron chair for a few weeks or months to make sure its ok. You can't test out a chair locally for a few minutes or hours and know if you will like it. Not possible. That what I did. Bought it online tried it for a while then returned it for free without any money out of my pocket. Had three different chairs at one time to try and see.

What online store allows you to buy a chair, use it for several months and return it for a full refund, AND you say they pay for return shipping too?