DeSantis now dictating school curriculums from the capital of Florida

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Nov 17, 2019
The stickers are out, but new stickers are in......

During a meeting of the Seminole County School Board Tuesday evening, board members voted unanimously to place “disclaimer stickers” on the yearbook page in question clarifying that the walkout was not sanctioned by the school. Images of the page posted online show students holding rainbow LGBTQ+ pride flags. In one photo, a student holds a sign with the words “Love is Love” above her head.

“This is the most ridiculous thing,” school board Vice Chair Abby Sanchez said Tuesday during the meeting. “These are our children – we need to do what’s best for them.”

A motion made by school board Chair Amy Pennock to purchase disclaimer stickers rather than stickers to cover the entirety of the yearbook page was met with unanimous approval.

“As students, I’m proud of you for bringing it to our attention,” Sanchez said following the vote, addressing Lyman High School students who attended the meeting. “It’s important to know that every day we learn from you guys – there’s not a day that we don’t. So don’t ever lose your voice.”

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
These school districts need to grow a pair and stand up to that autocrat. I hope Zander Moricz just says fuck em and gives the speech he wants. If they threaten his diploma, there are a gaggle of lawyers who would take his case pro-bono

Gay high schooler says he's 'being silenced' by Florida's LGBTQ law (msn.com)
His principal — Stephen Covert of Pine View School in Osprey, Florida, roughly 70 miles south of Tampa — warned Moricz that if his graduation speech referenced his LGBTQ activism, school officials would cut off his microphone, end his speech and halt the ceremony, Moricz alleged.

“He said that he just ‘wanted families to have a good day’ and that if I was to discuss who I am and the fight to be who I am, that would ‘sour the celebration,’” Moricz, 18, recalled. “It was incredibly dehumanizing.”

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
These school districts need to grow a pair and stand up to that autocrat. I hope Zander Moricz just says fuck em and gives the speech he wants. If they threaten his diploma, there are a gaggle of lawyers who would take his case pro-bono

Megaphones aren't expensive and would fit fine under a graduation robe. Assuming of course the school doesn't have armed infantry that will shoot him for 'displaying a weapon'.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Damn didn't know the faux woke outrage happening here in Canada. But only far right idiots are falling for this fake story

I suggest you don’t take their infiltration lightly. Their idiocy will spread like a cancer throughout your whole country and by the time it becomes serious it’ll be too late. Your country will be divided and your government will barely function.

I think our first amendment may be flawed and should have been a little more specific and instead said that we have the right to criticize our government free from retaliation. Having it more specific like that would allow us to tackle misinformation and propaganda.

Good luck!

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But, gosh, isn't Russia an admirable country now, and aren't they communist? This is all so confusing...
Nah Russia has pushed alot of reform since ussr days, its a totally different country now……………………….

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Looks like the class Prez was clever enough to bypass all those knuckle dragging conservatives.
Pine View Class President ordered to censor graduation speech finds workaround (msn.com)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I find the mere sight of him repugnant. I bet there's always a bunch of flies circling his head.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Repubs have to have enemies to fixate on as a distraction from how their leadership is exploiting them for fun and profit. It's the boogeymen under their beds that just so happen to be heathen brown immigrants pouring over the southern border by the millions taking jobs from "native" white men while raping their wives and children, while the Demon Democrats are trying to take away their God given guns that they have to have to defend themselves against the criminal brown hordes.

This is in part is the mindset the Repub rank and file have been programmed with. Nothing else matters. Jan.6 hearings is a witch hunt. The Big Lie is what's real. Obama is somehow a "negro commie fascist Muslim no birth cert plant(wtf?) and his wife is a monkey. Hillary Clinton is a Benghazi sandwich slathered in buttery emails meant to be eaten and endlessly regurgitated. Donald Trump is the greatest president EVAR and everything said about him that's bad is a straight up lie meant to make him look bad.

The list of denials, obfuscations, misinformation and outright lies that the Repubs have wrapped around themselves like a warm cozy blanket is as comforting to them as the thought of their leadership attempting a coup in order to keep their Klepto-in-Chief in the White House and equally as comforting as having a Corporate owned and operated SCOTUS that keeps the nation safe and secure from its domestic enemies, which just so happens to be the majority of the nation.

It seems the Repub working class are more than willing to deny the rest of the nation the liberties these Repubs want to keep for themselves because they think they're the only ones that deserve them.

I wonder who gave them that idea.

Reactions: shortylickens

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Repubs have to have enemies to fixate on as a distraction from how their leadership is exploiting them for fun and profit. It's the boogeymen under their beds that just so happen to be heathen brown immigrants pouring over the southern border by the millions taking jobs from "native" white men while raping their wives and children, while the Demon Democrats are trying to take away their God given guns that they have to have to defend themselves against the criminal brown hordes.

This is in part is the mindset the Repub rank and file have been programmed with. Nothing else matters. Jan.6 hearings is a witch hunt. The Big Lie is what's real. Obama is somehow a "negro commie fascist Muslim no birth cert plant(wtf?) and his wife is a monkey. Hillary Clinton is a Benghazi sandwich slathered in buttery emails meant to be eaten and endlessly regurgitated. Donald Trump is the greatest president EVAR and everything said about him that's bad is a straight up lie meant to make him look bad.

The list of denials, obfuscations, misinformation and outright lies that the Repubs have wrapped around themselves like a warm cozy blanket is as comforting to them as the thought of their leadership attempting a coup in order to keep their Klepto-in-Chief in the White House and equally as comforting as having a Corporate owned and operated SCOTUS that keeps the nation safe and secure from its domestic enemies, which just so happens to be the majority of the nation.

It seems the Repub working class are more than willing to deny the rest of the nation the liberties these Repubs want to keep for themselves because they think they're the only ones that deserve them.

I wonder who gave them that idea.
A comment to an editorial in the NYTimes the other day:

As David Frum wrote in 2020, "Trump's foundational insight throughout his public life has been to overwhelm the system's capacity to handle dishonesty." This epiphany has been adopted and honed to perfection by numerous legislators, justices, and candidates for office in the Republican Party.

Trumpism has widely corrupted and corroded institutions. It has made cynicism a fundamental part of public life. It has insinuated itself into the identity of millions of Americans. So, truth isn't an antidote because Trumpism is not based on reason; rather, it's based on "alternative facts", emotion, a sense of disenfrachisement and a stewpot of other mendacious resentments.

Because the Republican Party is a marriage between rapacious rich people and anger-addicted "Trumpenproletariats", Trumpism will doubtless survive without Trump. Sadly, perhaps "We have met the enemy and he is us", as Walt Kelly wrote in 1970.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
A comment to an editorial in the NYTimes the other day:

As David Frum wrote in 2020, "Trump's foundational insight throughout his public life has been to overwhelm the system's capacity to handle dishonesty." This epiphany has been adopted and honed to perfection by numerous legislators, justices, and candidates for office in the Republican Party.

Trumpism has widely corrupted and corroded institutions. It has made cynicism a fundamental part of public life. It has insinuated itself into the identity of millions of Americans. So, truth isn't an antidote because Trumpism is not based on reason; rather, it's based on "alternative facts", emotion, a sense of disenfrachisement and a stewpot of other mendacious resentments.

Because the Republican Party is a marriage between rapacious rich people and anger-addicted "Trumpenproletariats", Trumpism will doubtless survive without Trump. Sadly, perhaps "We have met the enemy and he is us", as Walt Kelly wrote in 1970.

All done with the aid and abetment of the millions of Repubs who think that ruling the nation through the leadership of a dictator is the only way to save the nation "for themselves" and not for the nation as a whole. The Repubs have differentiated and divorced themselves from a system of government that they feel have betrayed them because it's simply not working in their favor any more due to their becoming the minority party of the nation. So it's now time to change things that will favor them once again, the Constitution and BOR be damned AND they've now got a thoroughly corrupted SCOTUS to make it all happen.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
fuck desantis

1) avoiding florida
2) every passing day makes a stronger argument to GTFO of the US

And go where? My pathetic subpar analysis of the the whole mess is that, for example Europe right, the biggest threat to our way of lives by far, in a democratic western freedom kind of sense, is the US. Its not Putins Russia. Its not the CCP of China. Its the United States of America.
Why?
Cause 2016. 2020(1) Insurrection. Cause a 2024 DeSantis. Major domino pieces in the process of toppling US democracy and turning it into a regime, a money driven, power driven, capitalistic oligarchy driven regime.
What is the biggest threat to regimes? Free people, free nations, cant have your own population wanting better like those fuckers in that other country.
Who has the BIGGEST, by several orders of magnitude, military on the planet?
Intelligence apparatus?
We like to bitch about how Russia interferes in our elections here. Wait till player 2 enters the game.
My subtle point my friend is, that, there is nowhere to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We like to bitch about how Russia interferes in our elections here. Wait till player 2 enters the game.
My subtle point my friend is, that, there is nowhere to run.
I chanced about 24 hours ago to rediscover a guy who was in my class in HS (he WAS student body president). He's become an Australian citizen, I think he's based in Sydney. He's now fairly famous (has written 45+ books, written and performed in plays), has a Wikipedia page, speaks now around 1/2 dozen languages including Japanese. My point is that one can abandon America and do better. I don't know that I can and will pull up my roots and flee the USA, but I don't think it's a bad idea, no. Every Republican leader I can think of curdles my stomach. This place is fundamentally unhealthy. What the SCOTUS has been doing the last few months is very very aggravating and concerning, to very much understate the case. The fact that Trump or Desantis might be the R candidate in 2024, is upsetting. Look... GWB, McCain, Romney, GHWB... even Ronald Reagan look great compared to the current Republican leadership!

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It happened in the USSR too, didn't stop it from collapsing with young people leading the way.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I chanced about 24 hours ago to rediscover a guy who was in my class in HS (he WAS student body president). He's become an Australian citizen, I think he's based in Sydney. He's now fairly famous (has written 45+ books, written and performed in plays), has a Wikipedia page, speaks now around 1/2 dozen languages including Japanese. My point is that one can abandon America and do better. I don't know that I can and will pull up my roots and flee the USA, but I don't think it's a bad idea, no. Every Republican leader I can think of curdles my stomach. This place is fundamentally unhealthy. What the SCOTUS has been doing the last few months is very very aggravating and concerning, to very much understate the case. The fact that Trump or Desantis might be the R candidate in 2024, is upsetting. Look... GWB, McCain, Romney, GHWB... even Ronald Reagan look great compared to the current Republican leadership!

Sure. Still. If the US stumbles... How long do you think Australia will remain a democracy? I mean, yea, you could pull up roots and run from it, but it'd catch up to you in a decade or so. The fight for western style democracies is at the heart of the US midterms and 2024. IMO.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Sure. Still. If the US stumbles... How long do you think Australia will remain a democracy? I mean, yea, you could pull up roots and run from it, but it'd catch up to you in a decade or so. The fight for western style democracies is at the heart of the US midterms and 2024. IMO.
I'm not throwing in the towel, no sir. We gotta fight like hell and the goal ATM is to come out of the midterms and 2024 with a winning hand. The trend of Republican state legislatures has to stop too, pronto.

Reactions: cytg111

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Dismissed prosecutor not going lying down.

'Blatant abuse of power': Ousted Florida prosecutor sues DeSantis over suspension - POLITICO

Ousted Hillsborough County State Attorney Andrew Warren on Wednesday filed a federal lawsuit arguing Gov. Ron DeSantis abused his power when suspending him from office over, among other things, a pledge to not prosecute women who violate Florida’s new 15-week abortion ban.

DeSantis detractors immediately condemned Warren’s Aug. 4 suspension as political overreach and targeting a political foe. The governor framed the move as maintaining his “law and order” philosophy and characterized Warren’s suspension as removing a progressive prosecutor who refused to enforce laws. Warren has twice been elected to serve as State Attorney for the 13th Judicial Circuit.

“This morning I filed a suit in federal court to challenge that blatant abuse of power by Governor DeSantis in suspending me as state attorney,” Warren said during a Wednesday morning press conference in Tallahassee. “There is so much more at stake here than my job.”