Dentist that ran over husband. Your thoughts on the case?

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
The trial for Clara Harris starts today in Houston. She is the wealthy dentist who hired a private investigator to tail her cheating husband and then ran over him in the parking lot of a hotel after confronting him.

News Link

Supposedly there is a video tape of the entire incident that will be shown at trial.

I'd like to find out your thoughts on this. Should she be treated leniently? Harshly? If found guilty she could receive anything from life in prison to 5 years probation if it is designated a crime of passion. What do you think?

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Who gives a fock if it was a crime of passion. Intentional murder is intentional murder. Most people who have been in relationships have had someone do some sort of cheating. Let's say my wife cheated on me, but I didn't do anything except divorce her. But I carefully planned out my revenge, and a year later I show up at her door and pump her full of lead when she least expects it. Nobody would care that she cheated on me and I was distraught by it, even though the fact that i still carried the grudge means that it really affected me. It's an individual's responsibility to restrain themselves, and you shouldn't get a break on a murder rap because you're more emotionally volatile than other people.

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001
She should be treated like any other person who is accused of killing someone. It doesn't matter the money she has, or position she holds (Dentist) If she did do it (And it sounds like she did) then she should face justice.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I know how she feels.....My ex was cheating on me and it really pissed me off when I found out about it. In fact, she got a restraining order on me when I threatened to kick her little boyfriends ass...

Ausm

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
From what I heard on CNN, she ran him over, drove around and ran him over again, then circled yet again to run him over a third time. It was probably an accident.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
From what I heard on CNN, she ran him over, drove around and ran him over again, then circled yet again to run him over a third time. It was probably an accident.
My thoughts exactly. :D

Seriously ...

Sudden passion is legally defined as the following:

1) Accused was provoked by the victim
2) Crime happened at the time of the offense
3) Provocation made an ordinary person so enraged that he or she was incapable of cool reflection

It looks like she meets the requirements for #2 and #3. I'm not sure about #1, though.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by: 911paramedic

OK, nevermind, I don't want to see pics.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
If she had run him over then jumped out of the car screaming "What have I done! What have I done! I'm so sorry!" I could see the crime of passion thing/temporary insanity thing. Running him over a second and third time was a bit much, however.

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Wasn't HIS daughter in the car with her as she was doing it? Or was that a completely different time?

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
She had his daughter in the car with her, and had told her earlier in the day that she could kill him and get away with it. Sounds like a vindictive bitch more than anything to me, and she needs to go to jail.

MemnochtheDevil

Aug 19, 2001
The fact that she paid the private eye to catch her husband cheating, then he ends up filming her killing the husband strikes me as ironic and twisted. Driving over someone 2-3 times and then screaming "I'm sorry, don't die" seems moronic to me. Murder 2, she'll spend 20 years wishing for her old life back....

She should also get extra time at sentencing for having her teenage stepdaughter in the car, that kid is messed up for life....

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Queasy
If she had run him over then jumped out of the car screaming "What have I done! What have I done! I'm so sorry!" I could see the crime of passion thing/temporary insanity thing. Running him over a second and third time was a bit much, however.

Not really depends how pissed you are...

Ausm

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: GirlFriday
She had his daughter in the car with her, and had told her earlier in the day that she could kill him and get away with it. Sounds like a vindictive bitch more than anything to me, and she needs to go to jail.

Yeah, this wasn't a walking in on your spouse and his/her lover situation. She had ample time to think this out between finding out where he was and driving to the hotel.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I should point out that I don't think her position or wealth in any way justifies what she did. I only added that because that is the primary reason it is getting nationwide coverage.

Someone asked for pics. There are a couple of pics in the link I posted. I actually think she is pretty cute looking. But she ran over her husband with his 17 year old daughter (her stepdaughter) in the car while she was struggling to get out. That is really cold blooded.

The husband's parents are actually supporting her through this trial. I think it was a crime committed in an extreme moment of passion. I don't think she is a danger to society. I think alot of people come closer than they think (or like to admit) to doing something horrific when they are cheated on and deceived by a spouse. It can put you in a very unstable mental state.

I myself don't really know what kind of sentence she might deserve. It is a very tough call to make.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Fry the bitch. An example needs to be made. Women want equal rights, well dammit, if the roles had been reversed I'd bet my paycheck that the man would would be on death row. You want equal treatment, well be prepared to pay the price.

Her kid was with her for Christs sake!

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Fry the bitch. An example needs to be made. Women want equal rights, well dammit, if the roles had been reversed I'd bet my paycheck that the man would would be on death row. You want equal treatment, well be prepared to pay the price.

Her kid was with her for Christs sake!

agreed, but it was his kid. ;)

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
If she had walked in on him, and caught them, then its a crime of passion. But her statements before she did this, makes me believe this was premeditated, and she wanted to kill him. Whether or not she regretted it afterwards is unimportant, because even if she was going to do it, she could have at least made sure his child was not in the car. Imagine what that poor girl is going to deal with for the rest of her life. I'm usually a very lenient person on cases like this, but if I were on her jury, she would swing.

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
I should point out that I don't think her position or wealth in any way justifies what she did. I only added that because that is the primary reason it is getting nationwide coverage.

Someone asked for pics. There are a couple of pics in the link I posted. I actually think she is pretty cute looking. But she ran over her husband with his 17 year old daughter (her stepdaughter) in the car while she was struggling to get out. That is really cold blooded.

The husband's parents are actually supporting her through this trial. I think it was a crime committed in an extreme moment of passion. I don't think she is a danger to society. I think alot of people come closer than they think (or like to admit) to doing something horrific when they are cheated on and deceived by a spouse. It can put you in a very unstable mental state.

I myself don't really know what kind of sentence she might deserve. It is a very tough call to make.

Its one thing if she caught him in the act before she had any knowledge of it and then reacted. Its a whole different story that she hired a P.I. and then killed him

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
The dead husband's father was in a clip on the morning news shows today saying he wanted the children to remain with the mother...that she was still part of the family.

:confused:

I'd be the first to want to flip the switch to fry her b1tch a** for killing my son!

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
This is pre-meditated 1st degree murder. She hired a PI to find her cheating husband, then stalked him, then ran the SOB over. As vindictive as she is, maybe that is why her husband cheated. Who knows.
But the law is clear, she had plenty of time to think about her crime, she planned it, she carried it out, and she even tried to punctuate it by running him over twice and attempted to run him over a third time.

I don't care how much money or influence she has, she deserves and should get the death penalty. BS if you think this is a crime of passion, and if she tries to argue that, she will lose big time. Heck, she can't even plead temporary insanity. She stalked the guy out and did him in in a very violent way.

No mercy.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I don't care how much money or influence she has, she deserves and should get the death penalty. BS if you think this is a crime of passion, and if she tries to argue that, she will lose big time. Heck, she can't even plead temporary insanity. She stalked the guy out and did him in in a very violent way.
Well nothing you said really disproves a crime of passion.

There was a case in Michigan some years ago now, where a husband came home from work early, found some guy knocking the bottom out of his wife on the kitchen table, so loudly in fact they didn't notice his presence, at which point he turned around, retrieved a 30-06 hunting rifle out of the closet, loaded it, returned to the kitchen and put one shot through both of them. The man came home from work early because he suspected his wife was cheating on him.

Prosecutor's charged him with first degree murder but the jury also had the option of manslaughter if they found it to be a crime of passion. They chose manslaughter and a judge sentenced the man to 12 years for both deaths.