Democrats race to repeal Obamacare....

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
For the first time, House Democrats are proposing repealing a piece of the health care overhaul, one that small businesses have been warning is going to be overly burdensome.

The move comes just four months after the Democrats' health plan passed in March. The provision would have required businesses to file 1099 tax forms for all transactions with vendors that total over $600.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/40459.html

I guess they had to pass it to find out what was in it.
Hint:READ THE FUCKING BILL

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
common give give him a break, he is trying to add 11mil new citizens who simply don't make enough money to buy food, who will pay for their medicines? who will pay for the care of the little humanlets they pop out? we need more money from whoever make anything over 100k.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
The move comes after Republicans threatened to attach a similar amendment to a vote on the Democrats? jobs legislation late Thursday.

House Democrats postponed the vote over worry that the Republican amendment, a motion to recommit by Rep. Dave Camp (Mich.) would pass and make it look like they had made headway, albeit in a small way, in their repeal movement.

So they only did it because they didn't want it to look like republicans had done something? How fucking petty.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
bah. this is what happens when people do not read the shit before they vote on it.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
The move comes just four months after the Democrats' health plan passed in March. The provision would have required businesses to file 1099 tax forms for all transactions with vendors that total over $600.

LAWL... repealing a tiny part of the bill is now repealing Obamacare?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Heaven forbid our lawmakers read the laws they are making before they make them. They're far to busy for that!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
seriously the administrative requirements for that law would make having a small business ridiculous

I'd rather pay for everything with cash. fuck that.

Buy a computer from dell - 1099
Buy a computer from apple - 1099
Buy some furniture - 1099
Go to your CPA - 1099
Go to your lawyer - 1099
Buy > $600 in office supplies a year - 1099
Buy > $600 gas per year from chevron- 1099
Buy > $600 gas per year from arco - 1099
Buy 6 licenses of windows7 - 1099

list goes on...and on...and on...

(yes this is an exaggeration but you get the point, I hope)

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't blame the lawmakers for not reading a 2500 page bill. I blame the length of it. No damn need for that at all. I realize the constitution is vague at times but it sure as hell isn't 2500 pages and set the foundation for an entire country. Did this bill really have to be 2500?

Multiple Class A Failonies here, primarily the fact lawmakers didn't know what they were voting on and that it was that long to begin with (you can think the lobbyists).

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
seriously the administrative requirements for that law would make having a small business ridiculous

Go to your CPA - 1099
Go to your lawyer - 1099

how is it an exaggeration? that is exactly what companies would have to do. my company has about 2,000 employees with offices in every state talk about a nightmare.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Go to your CPA - 1099
Go to your lawyer - 1099

thats not a exaggeration at all. the effects on small business would be nasty

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I don't blame the lawmakers for not reading a 2500 page bill. I blame the length of it. No damn need for that at all. I realize the constitution is vague at times but it sure as hell isn't 2500 pages and set the foundation for an entire country. Did this bill really have to be 2500?

Multiple Class A Failonies here, primarily the fact lawmakers didn't know what they were voting on and that it was that long to begin with (you can think the lobbyists).

How exactly do you know how long a bill that is supposed to comprehensively reform the entire healthcare system is supposed to be? Is there a set page limit on legislation? How is it even remotely plausible to compare this bill to the Constitution in terms of length? Is a bill that's longer than the Contitution a bad bill? This is a new low water mark in political criticism.

Attacking bills for their length is sheer idiocy. If you want to attack the law, attack it on its merits.

- wolf

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
How exactly do you know how long a bill that is supposed to comprehensively reform the entire healthcare system is supposed to be?

IMO there is no need for a bill that long to do anything. The Health Care system would have been much better served by creating more bills that dealt with specific problems. Making it as long as they did only served to hide, and obscure items, and make it a do, or die one shot.

Is there a set page limit on legislation?
There most definitely should be, and it should be linked to the number of days between it's introduction, and the vote.

Attacking bills for their length is sheer idiocy. If you want to attack the law, attack it on its merits.
I somewhat agree, a long bill isn't necessarily a bad bill, but dropping 2,500 pages of convoluted legislature a day before the vote is bad form.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
ah maybe their whole "we'll pass it to see what's in it" mentality was wrong? lol fucking fail and watch most the people who were pushing this really hard get re-elected. god fucking damnit.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Well, it would be idiocy if lawmakers read all the bills they voted for. But since they can't be bothered to do their homework we obviously need to assure the Bills are written to their reading grade level.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
LOL

This is nothing new. Every bill in the history of this country has had or will have changes made to it.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
There is an email making the rounds in Tea Baguette Land that includes an attachment from the "Taxpayer Advocate". I got mine last week.

What the Rage-O-Holics forgot to do was actually read the entire attachment:

IRS_reporting-00.jpg

As per the IRS, credit and debit card purchases would be exempt from the reporting requirements.

With that in mind ....

Anus_Alert_03.gif

Oh .... and I spammed them back :D

--

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
re: above

That last bit was announced after the initial draft of the regulation

Last edited:

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
The reason the bill is so large and such a pile of crap is by the time it got approval from both parties in the house and senate it contained so much garbage for the different special interest groups and lobbyists that the bill doesn't even accomplish it's original goals. This is the problem with much of the legisation we see these days. It's full of loopholes, handouts, entitlements, etc for certain groups that the original intent of the legislation is lost.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Go to your CPA - 1099
Go to your lawyer - 1099

Actually what you point out is not an exaggeration at all. You just touched the tip of the iceberg.