Dem/Rep poll: Would you vote for someone accused by multiple women of sexual assault?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So Democrats have changed their minds on the issue since 1992 and 1996 when they voted for Bill Clinton twice? If so good but I sure hope that new religion on the subject sticks. No surprise the GOP isn't there yet and won't be for some time to come.

Jan 25, 2011
I think many miss the fact that a lot of people are going to hold their nose and vote Moore with the expectation he will never be seated, thus allowing another republican to be appointed in his place.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
So Democrats have changed their minds on the issue since 1992 and 1996 when they voted for Bill Clinton twice? If so good but I sure hope that new religion on the subject sticks. No surprise the GOP isn't there yet and won't be for some time to come.
I didn't vote for Bill nor would I do so now.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Bill Clinton was accused by multiple women of sexual assault?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Pretty sure this is a repost.

Also, the wording of the poll is "accused". Given the wording of the poll I don't think the Republicans answered this in any way that is wrong. Guilty or accused and appears very likely of having committed the acts would be one thing, just "accused" is possibly another.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Pretty sure this is a repost.

Also, the wording of the poll is "accused". Given the wording of the poll I don't think the Republicans answered this in any way that is wrong. Guilty or accused and appears very likely of having committed the acts would be one thing, just "accused" is possibly another.

But by multiple women. If it's only one women, you can't really say one way or the other, but multiple women? I don't think you should run for office in that circumstance as it's very likely you're guilty.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
But by multiple women. If it's only one women, you can't really say one way or the other, but multiple women? I don't think you should run for office in that circumstance as it's very likely you're guilty.

But what is multiple, two? Twenty? And who are the women? I'm just saying that the wording leaves the question very open to interpretation. If it said eight women accused and it looked likely the person was guilty of committing the acts, then I'd have more problem with the way the Republicans answered. But, I think there is just too much grey area in the wording.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I hate to admit it, but I'd consider it to prevent the current GOP from gaining any more power. The damage the GOP is currently doing to the country is greater than the individual crimes.

That being said I'd never vote for them in a primary, or if there was a viable option other than a Republican.

It is also easier to be holier than thou when you aren't in that situation. But I sure as hell would vote for Franken over a Republican in 2018.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

Hey, 20 years is a long time. Demographics and opinion on the subject has shifted significantly since then.

Reactions: alien42

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
During the first election his womanizing was not an issue in the news.
I know.
It was the year I started paying attention to politics.

2nd election people knew but forgave him. At least they forgave him enough for reelection.
Donald was known to be a horrible evil piece of shit long before he ran for office. Its much worse than womanizing, he steps on everyone in his path and since he's an egomaniac, that means pretty much every human on earth.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Of rape, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanita_Broaddrick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones

If they're credible enough for Christopher Hitchens, they're credible enough for me. And credible enough that Clinton paid a huge settlement to Paula Jones.

I've always assumed Paula Jones' accusations were likely true. As for Broaddrick, I'm a little less certain. The accusation of rape itself would be credible enough, but she has made an extremely dishonest attempt to implicate Hillary Clinton for trying to intimidate her to stay quiet. This was based on an ambiguous remark she allegedly made at a charity function just weeks after the alleged rape, long before Broaddrick went public with her accusation, meaning Hillary couldn't have even known about it t the time. I'm at 50/50 on Broaddrick's credibility.

And the answer for me is NO, I wouldn't vote for Bill Clinton now, knowing what I know, or anyone else accused by multiple women of sexual harassment or assault/rape/child molestation, etc. Even if I was unclear about the credibility the accusers, I wouldn't want to take the chance on that person. The accusers would have to be solidly discredited for me to consider voting for that person. So far, in all these accusations against these public figures, the only one where that has happened is the alleged use of underage prostitutes by Bob Menendez, and there, it's because the accusers have admitted that they were paid to make the accusations. All the others, including Franken and Conyers, I wouldn't take the chance on voting for them.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Of rape, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanita_Broaddrick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Willey

If they're credible enough for Christopher Hitchens, they're credible enough for me. And credible enough that Clinton paid a huge settlement to Paula Jones.

Edit: Found another victim

Paula Jones allegation surfaced in 1994, after Clinton was elected for the first time. Broderick allegation happened at the end of his administration.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Paula Jones allegation surfaced in 1994, after Clinton was elected for the first time. Broderick allegation happened at the end of his administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/24/u...lt-accusation-against-clinton-resurfaces.html

Allegations of Clinton raping Broaddrick first came to light in 1992. The media treated it lightly. I mean, did you see the way he played the sax?

And today many here voted for Billary, his wife that stays by his side and keeps his company. In a way she enabled him and says it is ok to do these things.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/24/u...lt-accusation-against-clinton-resurfaces.html

Allegations of Clinton raping Broaddrick first came to light in 1992. The media treated it lightly. I mean, did you see the way he played the sax?

And today many here voted for Billary, his wife that stays by his side and keeps his company. In a way she enabled him and says it is ok to do these things.

The bottom line is that glenn1's suggestion that Clinton voters knowingly voted for someone accused by multiple women of sexual assault is mendacious.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The bottom line is that glenn1's suggestion that Clinton voters knowingly voted for someone accused by multiple women of sexual assault is mendacious.

I disagree. Knowledge, or at least accusations, were flying since the early 90's. Dems still supported him when the accusations gained steam. Dems still voted for Hillary today knowing he's a package deal with her.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I disagree. Knowledge, or at least accusations, were flying since the early 90's. Dems still supported him when the accusations gained steam. Dems still voted for Hillary today knowing he's a package deal with her.

This is the part where you provide some evidence since the very article you linked said that the news orgs didn't think the allegations were credible and didn't publish them.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

The article you linked explains exactly why the accusation wasn't initially taken seriously. Try reading it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Someone should have told Trump.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I hate to admit it, but I'd consider it to prevent the current GOP from gaining any more power. The damage the GOP is currently doing to the country is greater than the individual crimes.

That being said I'd never vote for them in a primary, or if there was a viable option other than a Republican.

It is also easier to be holier than thou when you aren't in that situation. But I sure as hell would vote for Franken over a Republican in 2018.

There's the problem.

Partisanship over principles. A surefire way to get sex offenders for leaders.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There's the problem.

Partisanship over principles. A surefire way to get sex offenders for leaders.
Actually it has nothing to do with partisanship. I am not democrat, they have their own problems and I voted for my current republican governor and still think she was better than the alternative. But the current GOP is actively trying to destroy America as we know it and they all vote in lock step. Therefore, I am voting against their agenda. Right now I'd vote for a convicted rapist before I gave the GOP more power to rob the middle class for the rich, take away consumer protections, aid in the consolidation/undermining of a free media, take away healthcare from millions, take away women's rights, take away LBGT rights, rig the system to assure continued power, take away environmental and public land protections and stacking the federal courts.

The current GOP congress is currently attempt to do more harm than any sex offender or murderer could hope to do to the country. The effects just aren't as blatantly obvious.

It's not like one serial groper in congress could pass laws legalizing it. So the harm from that negative part of their personality isn't likely to affect the whole country. So why then should I vote against my own beliefs, interests and the interests of the country just because the one guy who has almost zero individual power is a creep?

Also nice seeing a partisan hack accusing others of partisanship.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

I wouldn't vote for Clinton now, but as others have pointed out the acceptability of certain behavior has changed significantly in the last 20 years.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Anyone notice that republicans congress critters are eerily silent in calling for the resignation of Franken & Conyers? What are they afraid of? You’d think they’d be all over this. Couldn’t be that they’ve got some problem members as well. $15 mil paid out in hush money.