Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Was just checking Dell's website and they already listed the new updated model (9560) with Kaby Lake and GTX 1050. This will be one of the first notebook with mobile GP107 (GTX 1050).

laptop-xps-15-pdp-polaris-13.jpg

Dell said:
The most powerful XPS laptop we've ever built includes the latest 7th Gen Intel® QuadCore ™ processors and an optional 4GB GeForce® GTX 1050 graphics card with the latest and greatest Pascal ™ architecture, so you can blaze through your most intense tasks.

NotebookCheck said:
The GPU is rather interesting, as the XPS 15 previously shipped with a Nvidia GTX 960m, but now is now equip with the GTX 1050 with 4GB, according to Dell. The desktop 1050 comes equip with 2GB ram, while the 1050 Ti has 4GB, but Dell makes no mention of whether this is indeed the more powerful 1050 Ti. Whether it is the vanilla 1050 or 1050 Ti, we can expect performance similar to a 970m and a TDP of 60W, scoring between 6200-6800 on the synthetic Fire Strike benchmark. In contrast, the 960m in the current XPS 15 scores around 3900 in the same test—meaning this is roughly a 50% upgrade in performance. Thus. the addition of this new Pascal card should make the world's smallest 15-inch notebook also much more adept at playing games.

Source: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

Last edited:
Reactions: godihatework

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
This is intriguing, to say the least. The XPS 15 was always a great machine, but the 960m was a bit anemic IMO. This should be a noticeable step up. Too bad the decently specied versions of it usually cost an arm and a leg.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
(Not available in Canada yet...)
Not available anywhere yet. Dell accidentally published a product page, then pulled it. That's all. The GPU and CPU aren't even launched yet. Winter CES is coming, though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What about Kaby Lake and 4K HD Netflix now? Since that requires KBL iGPU, and won't work (yet?) with NVidia Pascal GPUs (but in theory, should be capable)?

Does this have "Optimus" or whatever they call it, for dynamic iGPU / dGPU switching?

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
What about Kaby Lake and 4K HD Netflix now? Since that requires KBL iGPU, and won't work (yet?) with NVidia Pascal GPUs (but in theory, should be capable)?

Does this have "Optimus" or whatever they call it, for dynamic iGPU / dGPU switching?
Pretty sure it does, it's supposed to have great battery life after all. So this should work.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Not available anywhere yet. Dell accidentally published a product page, then pulled it. That's all. The GPU and CPU aren't even launched yet. Winter CES is coming, though.

Do we have any idea when? Just ordered the current XPS15 but have to return and reorder as dell messed up the order. Wondering if I should wait for '17 version instead.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Do we have any idea when? Just ordered the current XPS15 but have to return and reorder as dell messed up the order. Wondering if I should wait for '17 version instead.
If I were to guess, I'd say "available immediately" after CES (with probably 3-4 weeks delivery). This is pure guesswork, though. Based on what? It's clear Kaby Lake-H is launching full speed ahead at CES. It would also be odd if the 1050 launch wasn't at least semi-hard. As both should be more or less drop-in replacements for outgoing parts, there's little reason for Dell not to aim for a hard launch.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
This is perfect timing. My 13" MBP mid-2010 is finally just getting too slow and annoying even after adding memory and SSD so was looking to replace it. My understanding is these Dell XPS machines are pretty close to some of the best Windows-based MBP alternatives so think I'll likely get a 15" XPS once the 2017 versions get released.

One question for those who have actually used both. How do you compare the trackpads? I really like the one on the MBP and hope the XPS one is at least in the same ballpark.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I just bought my mom one of the brand new XPS 13s that just come out. They have the same updated trackpads. My daily laptop is a 2014 MacBook Pro 15. What I can tell you is that the XPS has the best trackpad I've ever experienced on a Windows laptop, but it's still nowhere even close to Apple's. Say Apple's is a 10 out of 10, the Dell XPS is a 5 out of 10, and everything else is a 1 out of 10.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
I just bought my mom one of the brand new XPS 13s that just come out. They have the same updated trackpads. My daily laptop is a 2014 MacBook Pro 15. What I can tell you is that the XPS has the best trackpad I've ever experienced on a Windows laptop, but it's still nowhere even close to Apple's. Say Apple's is a 10 out of 10, the Dell XPS is a 5 out of 10, and everything else is a 1 out of 10.

mice

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Mice don't work well if I'm just kicked back on the couch trying to surf the web. That's the main reason i'm asking. To be honest the main function I use is the up/down scroll so as long as that function works ok on the XPS then it's probably fine.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Did you not look at the link? The device in question is a thumb operated trackball. It can sit on the arm of your chair, your lap or wherever it would be convenient to be placed. Granted, it won't work in all situations but I have never had a problem using it comfortably on couch, chair, or even on a plane. YMMV.

m570-gallery.png

-KeithP

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Yah I looked at the link. Just looks like it would still be more cumbersome than just using a good trackpad that already sits within the device itself. Keep in mind this is framed around simply using the laptop for web browsing in this situation.

Anyway, the point of the question was about whether the trackpad was as good as the MBP and seems from at least one take it's not quite up to par (but closer than most). That may be good enough. Hopefully I can find one in a b&m to test out first.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013

Yea, I don't get all the cooing over the MacBook trackpads. It's definitely great. But to say its 10/10 and everything else is 1/10 is just absurd.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Yea, I don't get all the cooing over the MacBook trackpads. It's definitely great. But to say its 10/10 and everything else is 1/10 is just absurd.
The deep integration in OS X, plus the actual quality of the hardware is what makes it amazing. Use one for a while, get used to it, then you realize just how bad the situation is on Windows and all the cheapo trackpads.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I agree that Apple's trackpad is the standard upon which everything else is judged...

That said, anything using a "precision trackpad" [sic] it's going to be miles ahead of other PC trackpads. I have a 9550 myself and its (glass) trackpad is very nice. The ONLY gesture I wish they would add is two finger swipe left/right to go back/forward between pages like OSX has had. The other one I have is the surface book with the performance base. They should use dark/black keys though. Silver keys on a silver frame isn't very nice. And when the keyboard illumination is on in a lighted room, the keys don't even appear labeled. LOL

When you're accustomed to these devices using a laptop with those big clicky buttons below the pad you have to POUND to activate just feels like you're playing with a Fisher Price equivalent!

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
If I was going to lounge on the couch, I'd use one of these with an existing desktop ($50 beats $1000 for a lappy!)
microsoft-2-2-640x640.png

I agree that Apple's trackpad is the standard upon which everything else is judged...

Then you might like the gadget that joins the apple keyboard & pad for use on the couch. ;)
magicwand-640x640.png

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
If I was going to lounge on the couch, I'd use one of these with an existing desktop ($50 beats $1000 for a lappy!)
microsoft-2-2-640x640.png

Then you might like the gadget that joins the apple keyboard & pad for use on the couch. ;)
magicwand-640x640.png
That would actually be REALLY awesome if Mac was any good at being a living room machine. It's quite bad at that, unfortunately.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
Mice don't work well if I'm just kicked back on the couch trying to surf the web. That's the main reason i'm asking. To be honest the main function I use is the up/down scroll so as long as that function works ok on the XPS then it's probably fine.

Touchscreen is the best way for laidback surfing on the couch, IMHO.