Dell 30" u3014 2560x1600 information emerges, release date feb/march 2013

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Is my Samsung UE55ES7005 lowend?

Formal logc fail!

ferzerp: There exists a subset of A called C that does B
ShintaiDK: My TV is in A, it must do be!

No, ShintaiDK, if your TV is really in A and doesn't do B, it is not a member of C.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I think there is a rather large divide between PC monitors and HDTV's in terms of quality - consider that the typical TV screen is viewed from many feet away, whereas a PC monitor is often viewed from very close distances. I personally have seen many HDTVs with QA issues such as dead pixels, bleed, and uneven brightness; it generally doesn't matter because they can only be seen at close (1-2 feet) viewing distances. The electronics used within a device make a big difference; the high rate of defective korean monitors is pretty much case in point.

On average a PC monitor will have far fewer defects than a TV - small defects on HDTVs remain undetected, whereas on a PC monitor they are glaringly obvious due to viewing distance.

The other thing one should mention is that ultra HD TV sets will have a 30hz refresh rate @4k2 if I recall correctly; on top of this uHDTVs will be using the HDMI interface. Without exception I have never seen a 2560 monitor able to display greater than 1080p with HDMI, so i'm not quite sure how this will work. I understand that the 1.4 HDMI specification allows for higher resolution but in practice, either the device or cable will be a lower spec which prevents >1080p from working.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
With all that said, I should add if we're talking pure gaming, viewing distance isn't critical. I enjoy sitting on my couch and using my HDTV for gaming at times - so I guess uHDTVs will be fine for gaming. I definitely wouldn't use a TV for anything outside of gaming though, personal preference I guess.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I disagree on the LED backlighting.
Until the can have LED backlit displays with color as true as CCFL backlit displays I will stick to my CCFL thank you.

True whites are possible with LED if the backlight array is comprised of discrete red/green/blue emitters that can be adjusted. Otherwise you're at the mercy of the manufacturer's pick of LED tint which is always cold.

I'm disappointed in the color on my retina macbook pro for this very reason. It cannot produce a true white.

My Dell Latitude 830 (that's six years old now) in comparison produces a real white and colors that are more realistic.

With fixed white LED backlighting you cannot tune it out either. You can fine tune it to where it's barely tolerable but that's about it.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
LCD has always been poor for movies/tv in my experience. Hopefully 4K will change this. I'm assuming it is feasible for Plasma TVs to also support 4K ? If so, they'll still be the better choice for a HDTV. LCD just does not produce good blacks/colours for viewing cinema when compared to a plasma.

My Kuro is five years old and I've never seen an LCD close to its PQ. The new Panasonic Plasmas are pretty nice though and are giving the old Elite a run for its money.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Looks awesome. I especially like the USB3 hub feature.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Did you ever try compare a monitor and TV side by side?

Not necessarily side-by-side but I've never seen any 30 inch PC monitor (Apple, HP, Dell) that comes close to the IQ of a high-end plasma like Pioneer Kuro mentioned or any of the last 4 years or newer Panasonic plasma. I can't imagine any PC monitor coming close to 2013 Panny plasmas due to plasma's inherently superior qualities wrt black levels, colour accuracy, viewing angles, screen uniformity and response time. Most LCD/LED TVs are not good as PC monitors because they lack 4:4:4 Subsampling. Therefore, the text appears very blurry/fuzzy. My Westinghouse doesn't have this problem. It's technically a monitor because it's a 1080P TV without the TV tuner. So it's definitely possible to make a good 37 inch TV as a PC monitor, esp. if they add 4K to it. That would solve most of the complaints from PC gamers regarding low resolution of 1080P on larger screens.

Right now I can't consider "downgrading" to a 30 inch monitor after using a 37 inch one for more than 4 years. The problem is 4K tech seems like it will be super expensive and LCD/LEDs still have not caught up to plasma in IQ. Plasma though still seems unsuitable for prolonged PC work due to possibility of burn in if you use the PC in 2D environment outside of games. I also find it insulting that a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor is going for $1 grand+, when 27 inch 2560x1440 Catleaps are $325-350. IMO the mark-up on these 30 inch 2560x1600 panels is very high as the prices seem like they haven't come down in 5-7 years.

Last edited:

DonGateley

Feb 1, 2013
I can't imagine any PC monitor coming close to 2013 Panny plasmas due to plasma's inherently superior qualities wrt black levels, colour accuracy, viewing angles, screen uniformity and response time.

What model Panasonic plasma are you comparing to this u3014?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
No particular model since I wouldn't use a plasma for the PC due to burn in and possible input lag. I am saying if you are talking strictly about overall IQ in videogames, movies or sports, a 60-65 plasma would blow it out of the water. Key tangible advantages the 3014 has are lower input lag, higher resolution and power consumption. All the flaws of backlit LED/LCD are still there. They cannot be fixed because LED/LCD technology is inferior to plasma in terms of overall IQ.

Resolution can be 'fixed'. Get a 60-65 inch 2013 Panasonic plasma and sit 10 feet away. All the remaining advantage of plasma's IQ would still be there. Resolution matters for us PC guys since we sit so much closer to the monitor and we don't just game. For this reason a 60-65 inch plasma is just unsuitable as a PC monitor (or even a 37 one due to burn in). Right now you simply cannot get excellent IQ and resolution on the PC with 30 inch LCD/LED. It's just not possible since we are stuck using inferior LED/LCD tech with superior resolution. With LCD/LED you get avg IQ + excellent resolution, with plasma you get excellent IQ + avg resolution. It's a trade-off that has to be made until someone invents a true LED, makes a large AMOLED, or some new tech replaces both LEDs and plasma. 4K LEDs still don't solve anything since they are still using the same inferior LED/LCD technology, just up the rez.

Last edited:

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Another overpriced BORING poor resolution/ppi slow input slow response piece of junk from the Dell corporation which will be bought by people with no other real alternatives than the crap us PC folk have had to endure for far to long.

Crysis 3 proves that MSAA is total joke with is 50% FPS discount when used.

LETS GET HIGH PPI HERE

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Another overpriced BORING poor resolution/ppi slow input slow response piece of junk from the Dell corporation which will be bought by people with no other real alternatives than the crap us PC folk have had to endure for far to long.

Crysis 3 proves that MSAA is total joke with is 50% FPS discount when used.

LETS GET HIGH PPI HERE

Wonderful troll, thanks for the articulate, intelligent and informative input :rolleyes:

chrisheinonen

Feb 6, 2012
FYI, I requested a U3014 for review, but the availability of review units is still up in the air right now. Hopefully one will come very soon to get the review published, but I have no idea for the exact time frame right now.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
FYI, I requested a U3014 for review, but the availability of review units is still up in the air right now. Hopefully one will come very soon to get the review published, but I have no idea for the exact time frame right now.

I might be shooting myself in the foot here, but you are...?

Vodkapls

Feb 23, 2013
Would it be possible to add in your review how the screen pictures look with scaling to non native resolutions?
It can be useful if we connect different stuff to it like a ps/xbox etc.. and I also find that very important with bigger screen since we cant always run stuff at very high resolution.
Thanks.

chrisheinonen

Feb 6, 2012
Would it be possible to add in your review how the screen pictures look with scaling to non native resolutions?
It can be useful if we connect different stuff to it like a ps/xbox etc.. and I also find that very important with bigger screen since we cant always run stuff at very high resolution.
Thanks.

I can look into doing that for a 1080p signal. There's a new test pattern I am going to use for testing scaling so I will try to add that in. I have no idea how to update my title on the forums either, but I'm also rarely on here.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I can look into doing that for a 1080p signal. There's a new test pattern I am going to use for testing scaling so I will try to add that in. I have no idea how to update my title on the forums either, but I'm also rarely on here.

It's good that you come see what the people want though, makes Anandtech reviews more appealing :)

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008

If you end up doing non-native res tests, processing lag would be almost as interesting as the IQ.

cevets

Mar 1, 2013
The specs lists 6ms response time, which is a slight improvement over the 3011. Would like to know what the input lag is when gaming in sRGB mode.

martman

Dec 10, 2005
I to have been very interested in the release of this monitor. I've had the 2407 since it came out and have loved it. All that aside, I chatted with a Dell rep last night and this is an excerpt from our chatlog:

Agent (XXXXX): "according to my source it will be out VERY soon"
02/28/2013 09:16:26PM Agent (XXXXX): "if not this march then it will be by the early 2nd quarter"
02/28/2013 09:16:41PM Agent (XXXXX): "it has been released the in UK already,"
02/28/2013 09:17:02PM Agent (XXXXX): "it will be released in the US later on"

I edited out the reps name to prevent any troubles for the rep

Last edited: