Decide my fate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
In an insect-free atmosphere, eat it with your heart's....content?

Cooked meat can last a surprisingly long time.

Dried meat even longer...jerky existed and still does for a reason....

Reactions: highland145

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Honestly, if it were cooked well done, it's probably still OK to eat. The bread may be stale and the toppings all soggy, then the cheese gets all waxy...that's why I wouldn't eat it.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Decide my fate, hooker left open my bottle of vodka yesterday, gonna have to get a rebate, is it still safe to drink and would it even be worth it?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I hope you didn't do it.

Like 10 years ago during a power outage that lasted days, I came home from a happy hour we had at work pretty hammered and ate 1/2 of a Subway sub that had been sitting out since the night before. At the time it tasted okay, but the next day I had the worst case of the shits I've ever had. I nearly shit myself on the train ride home because I had nowhere to go on the subway. Like I was in pain for a good 15 minutes or so trying to hold it in. I've never experienced anything like that before.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I hope you didn't do it.

Like 10 years ago during a power outage that lasted days, I came home from a happy hour we had at work pretty hammered and ate 1/2 of a Subway sub that had been sitting out since the night before. At the time it tasted okay, but the next day I had the worst case of the shits I've ever had. I nearly shit myself on the train ride home because I had nowhere to go on the subway. Like I was in pain for a good 15 minutes or so trying to hold it in. I've never experienced anything like that before.
There are lot of things on a sub. Mayo goes bad fast enough at room temp to make you sick after a day, for example. A cooked burger should be fine.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I hope you didn't do it.

Well, at least it wasn't the WORST case of the shits...like when you don't make it :eek:.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Eat it. That's good food gone to waste.

Decide my fate boys:

4 day old protein shake left out. Half gone. Had banana, peanut butter, protein powder and milk.

Bottoms up? :D
Shit, i'd pay you to post up a video of that.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I won't eat fresh egg salad, but day old @ room temp? blegghh...

The burger...idk. I wouldn't, personally.

Unless I'm starving and there's NOTHING else to eat, it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I tossed it but ate the burger that we did actually refrigerate. Videos like the ones posted earlier are good reminders that we're not immortal and our body will do weird things sometimes. Same reason people should watch car crash videos to remind themselves they're never really safe from others and to be more careful on the road.

And no, y'all can't have my stuff.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would be dead 50x over if this was accurate.... more like a worst-case.

Every time I've gotten sick from food its either been from something stored in the fridge for too long or cross-contamination.
I can only remember one time I got sick from eating food AFAIK. I was on vacation with family, 14 YO, we were on the last legs of a 2 week road trip through western states, must have hit 8-10 national parks. On our way back to L.A. we stayed at Klamath Falls, OR. Ate at a restaurant and we all IIRC ordered Chicken Cacciatore. I have never eaten that since. I was sick all night, spending much of the time in the bathroom. Nobody else got sick. They decided my eating habits during the trip were partly at fault. I don't know what it was.

I prepare almost all the food I eat and I'm not obsessive. I eat things out of date. If I see some fungus on something in my refrigerator (e.g. cheese or fruit preserves), I'll typically just scrape it off and eat the food as long as it tastes and smells OK. It never bothers me. If a vegetable is going bad, I'll cut off the bad part and prepare and eat the rest, never a problem. I'll have cartons of eggs in the fridge for months and as long as the cracked open egg looks and smells OK, I don't give it a 2nd thought. They just about never go bad in my experience. My fridge is at 40F. I don't like rancid food. If nuts or seeds taste bad, I throw them out. I keep stuff that tends to do that in my freezer if they go rancid in the fridge. I have found that most stuff keeps pretty indefinitely in the freezer.

Last edited: