Decent 3x AAA flashlight?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Muse, Nov 10, 2012.

1. heymrdj

heymrdj Diamond Member

Same. Just had my truck light die the other night, time to re-evaluate flashlights for the whole house/truck/car/pickup.

2. Meractik

Meractik Golden Member

3. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

hows these $5 compared to the rc-g2?

4. uhohs

uhohs Diamond Member

5. EvilYoda

EvilYoda Lifer

uhohs, what model is in the photo? The SK68? I think I've lost or misplaced (moving boxes) my random flashlights so I could use a few cheapies. Do you have a preferred vendor?

6. uhohs

uhohs Diamond Member

#31 uhohs, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  7. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

interesting.. there are 2 types of sk68's.
    one with a q3 and one with a q5 emitter.

and the q5 is cheaper?!

what's the diff?

8. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Diamond Member

This, I bought a 20 buck LED flash light at home depot for a camping trip, thing broke for no reason at all.

I said screw it and bought a Fenix LD20, its almost been a year its been used ALOT, no issues with it at all. My friends at first made fun of me for buying such an expensive flash light(compared to the 10$ at Home depot). After they have borrowed it here and there for things, they no longer make fun of me for it lol

#33 thescreensavers, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. Howard

Howard Lifer

3x AAA? How arbitrary is that? Good luck charging and cycling those batteries.

10. Muse

Muse Lifer

Sorry, I was busy at the time, hadn't checked out your recommendations. However, I've checked out each of your suggestions now. I see single AA lights, single AAA lights, double AA lights, triple AAA lights, there's a lot to choose from and vastly different prices. My thought now after reading a lot of reviews is that I may get 1 or 2 medium size but I would like one diminutive versatile light that I can keep in my pocket and I right now am high on your top recommendation:

And finally, the VERY BEST triple A flashlight you can buy:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TF8&psc=1&s=hi

I think this would probably make a very good carry-all-the-time-in-the-pocket light!!! Thanks. I see you have one, saw your review at Amazon. This is likely the one I'll be ordering shortly. There are several similar ones to choose from. Sorting that out before I order.

I agree, after seeing what's out there now. I just said that because that's what my headlamp uses, also it's what my 2 garbage Harbor Freight flashlights use (their light output and battery life are awful).

#35 Muse, Nov 12, 2012
  11. Muse

Muse Lifer

#36 Muse, Nov 12, 2012
  12. Muse

Muse Lifer

I just ordered this one at Amazon:

iTP A3 EOS 96 Lumen Flashlight -Upgrade Version 1 X AAA battery. I'll likely reverse the clip so I can attach it to the bill of a baseball cap, file off the keychain attachment so I can stand it on end, use it with Eneloop AAA, keep it in my pocket.

Reading reviews of the ~$5 Cree flashlights at Amazon reveal that it's not easy to know what you'll get. Some have High/Low/Strobe feature, some don't and many have gotten something other than what they expected. Some prefer that feature, others don't.

#37 Muse, Nov 12, 2012
  13. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

even from the same seller!?

14. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

I have one of these. I love it. I want to get them in different colors as gifts. I use it to work on cars. Small and normally last about an hour on my NiMH rechargeable. I dropped it many times and even slammed a couple hoods on it. Strong little guy. Picked up on eBay for $5-8 about 6 months ago.

I can light up a stop sign a block away.

15. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

how well can it tail stand?
    (my only gripe about the rc-g2 is that it CANT tailstand :( )

16. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

It can stand on its tail. Its once setup it should be good on the tail for a good amount of time. Its all metal, so the weight does help.

17. uhohs

uhohs Diamond Member

tail standing? depends on who you get it from.

mine from micro.digital on ebay have a tail button that slightly sticks out so tail standing is wobbly.

the recent ones i got from a 3rd party seller on amazon have a button that is recessed, no problems tail standing at all.

[​IMG]

#42 uhohs, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  18. Svnla

Svnla Lifer

Funny that I just received in the mail today a black 1 AA battery (not included) Cree flashlight (from a seller in China via Amazon for $5 with free shipping) with flat bottom (the one on the right in post #42).

I am impressed with the light output on this little thing. It is metal so it is sturdy. Plus you can adjust the light from narrow (1 ft diameter) to broader area (several ft diameter).

The only thing I am not sure are how long the battery (using Duracel regular battery) and the light source will last.

#43 Svnla, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  19. Muse

Muse Lifer

Maybe not from the same seller, but at Amazon it seems that you can buy an item one day and it's provided by a different seller than if you buy the next day. That seems to be the case with the ITP A3 EOS light I just bought.

Regarding that ~$5 Cree light that has low/high/strobe on some, only high on others, I read a lot of reviews and had trouble making things out. I figured if I get one I'd like the one with multi-choice, but couldn't determine where to get it. I'll hold off for now. I have many flashlights, I might be satisfied with this one ITP A3 EOS Upgrade 1 addition being an EDC light. Although it's called "Upgrade 1" at Amazon it's evidently a subsequent upgrade. The first one had sequence medium/low/high and medium and low are said to bother some people with some flicker. The subsequent upgrade has low/medium/high sequence and has been changed to prevent the flicker phenomenon (much higher pulse frequency). The discussion is here at CandlePower Forums:

Thread: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

#44 Muse, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  20. fatpat268

fatpat268 Diamond Member

The RC-G2 isn't a great flashlight. I've had 3 different flashlights of that model, and they've ALL failed over the process of a year. After a while, all of mine exhibited flickering, and at times wouldn't even turn on. For a while, I just fixed it by loosening up the head of the flashlight. If it was on too tight, it wouldn't work at all.

Eventually they all stopped working anyway. I took apart the flashlight, and I couldn't find any real reason why they didn't work. The led still lit up after hooking the battery up, and the contacts were still good, but it just didn't work reliably for some reason.

Besides, the light output on the RC-G2 is pathetic anyway. It barely matches the low setting on my Fenix PD-32.

In the past, I've even advocated these cheap DX flashlights myself, but after finally buying a GOOD flashlight for a little extra money, I've finally seen the light :)cool:). Don't waste your money on flashlights that are destined to fail. Get one good one for $30-$60 instead.

21. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

My eBay one has a recessed button and no branding on it.

22. uhohs

uhohs Diamond Member

mine with the slightly protruding button has the branding of UltraOK on it. :)

23. edro

edro Lifer

I agree 100%. I have 3 of those DX.com flashlights. While the output is awesome and the price is low, they all have problems with quality.
    They all flicker and/or are intermittent.

I have a few name brand lights that are rock solid.

Flashlight tech is accelerating so quickly that you can get a couple year old model for pretty cheap.
    A lot of the high end lights are 500+ lumens, when a 200 lumen (true lumens from a reputable mfg) light is plenty for most applications.
    200 lumens is a ton brighter than traditional Maglights we have used for years.

24. uhohs

uhohs Diamond Member

dunno which dx.com model you're referring to, but i haven't had any problems with the 8 sk68 type lights i have. i have some 14500 batteries on the way too, and i'm curious how much brighter they get. :)

25. fatpat268

fatpat268 Diamond Member

We're talking about the rc-g2, right?