Decent 3x AAA flashlight?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a couple of crappy 9 LED 3x AAA flashlights I got at Harbor Freight. The light output sucks and the battery life is abysmal. I have a headlamp I use for my bike that also uses 3x AAA's (straps to my head) that has awesome light output and unbelievable battery life. So I know I can get flashlights with similar characteristics. Where can I get them cheap? Preferably online, or maybe a local retailer.

Edit: I want something simple. At Amazon I'm seeing 3x AAA LED flashlights that cycle through High, Low, Flashing, Off. I don't want to mess with that. Just a simple On/Off is fine.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OH SHIT! My favorite thread!

I have plenty of those crappy flashlights too. Or had. I recently swapped out with slightly better models.

Pelt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

Cornea

Floating Dorcy
(this ones kinda big actually)

Infinity Ultra
(my personal recommendation)

Tempo
(good alternative to the single AAA Maglite Solitaire)

Firecracker

And finally, the VERY BEST triple A flashlight you can buy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TF8&psc=1&s=hi

If you dont wanna use the 3 modes, you dont have to. Its fine as a regular flashlight.

WHATEVER YOU DO, dont buy any more of the hardware store throwaway models. If you need light, get a good light. Otherwise you really dont need it and shouldnt spend your money.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
If you really want to get into the weeds and minutia of flashlights...

Go here

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?45-LED-Flashlights

I suggest an LED light for general purposes and amongst the AAA flashlights many of the people who frequent these forums are excited about the models from fenix that use that battery.
http://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_421&products_id=2477

If you get one I suggest investing in the newer extended life nmh cells that can keep their charge for months on end.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Thats very nice but way more expensive than he was thinking about.

If the OP really wants cheap I have to recommend the Tempo or Firecracker, thats as low cost as I'd care to go but still keep some measure of quality.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Just buy a Fenix off Amazon and be done with it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just buy a Fenix off Amazon and be done with it.

The above suggested Fenix was 37 dollars, which might possibly be more than he wanted.

OP is not even online. He needs to tell us exactly how much he wants to spend.
"Cheap" is relative.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Well, I'm going by what my experience has been with flashlight prices... 35-50$ is in the midrange of flash light prices.

You can find some pretty pricey flashlights if you look around.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/u2-ultra.html

I'm pretty sure if he went with the Fenix it would last him very long time and be worth every penny unless it was abused or lost or a defective lemon.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
If Fenix isn't in your price range, try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E0QAFY/...78V67P2PMSSM5F

Great reviews, small, CREE LED, 1xAA, simple on/off operation via tail-cap switch, adjustable focus beam, $5 shipped. Buy one for every room in your house and every glovebox in your driveway.

Last edited:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I got lucky on the last 5-pack of cheapo alloy 3-AAA flashlights I picked-up from a Computer Geeks sale. They don't have a great beam length, but its good enough for everything I've ever used them for thus far. I put one in the center console of my mom's vehicle two years ago and have periodically tested it (couple times per year), most recently a couple days ago. Worked fine, it seems brighter than the household one that has been used quite a bit.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
A pet peeve of mine is devices that should take a larger battery size that take AAA instead (especially LARGE devices with plenty of room for AA). It's an engineering and design failure that I see all the time. A C-battery is better than a barrel of three AAA batteries. OP: Why specifically desire the more expensive and lower capacity option?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you get one I suggest investing in the newer extended life nmh cells that can keep their charge for months on end.

I'm already heavily invested in LSD AA and AAA's, Eneloops, have dozens. Got a couple of La Crosse geek-friendly chargers, too. :cool:

I subscribed at Candlepower Forums some years ago, debated whether to post here or there this thread but decided on here figuring I might do better cutting to the chase rather than getting into the weeds and minutia I'd need to sort through there.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A pet peeve of mine is devices that should take a larger battery size that take AAA instead (especially LARGE devices with plenty of room for AA). It's an engineering and design failure that I see all the time. A C-battery is better than a barrel of three AAA batteries. OP: Why specifically desire the more expensive and lower capacity option?
I've yet to see an LSD rechargable C battery, have quite a few Eneloop AA and AAA's on hand, 6 AAA's currently in a couple of real garbage 9-LED flashlights. Those flashlights are reasonably small, quite comfortable in the hand, and since my headlamp gets fantastic battery life and brightness from 3 AAA's, I'm certain that a "regular" 3x AAA flashlight with those characteristics is available. That was my idea. I have around a dozen 2x AA flashlights (all the same brand, I picked up at Costco), most with Eneloops inside. They are bright, decent, but somewhat heavy. Also, the bodies are somewhat thick aluminum and somehow don't feel all that nice in the hand, particularly in cooler weather (heavy and cold).

Last edited:

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
I've yet to see an LSD rechargable C battery, have quite a few Eneloop AA and AAA's on hand, 6 AAA's currently in a couple of real garbage 9-LED flashlights. Those flashlights are reasonably small, quite comfortable in the hand, and since my headlamp gets fantastic battery life and brightness from 3 AAA's, I'm certain that a "regular" 3x AAA flashlight with those characteristics is available. That was my idea. I have around a dozen 2x AA flashlights (all the same brand, I picked up at Costco), most with Eneloops inside. They are bright, decent, but somewhat heavy. Also, the bodies are somewhat thick aluminum and somehow don't feel all that nice in the hand, particularly in cooler weather (heavy and cold).

Keep in mind that rechargeable AAA's have a capacity of 800 MW and AA's have a capacity of 2000 MW. That means that a single AA light should only be 10% (edit 20%) worse than a three AAA light. I prefer single or double AA lights for this reason.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The above suggested Fenix was 37 dollars, which might possibly be more than he wanted.

OP is not even online. He needs to tell us exactly how much he wants to spend.
"Cheap" is relative.

I could see spending as much as $20 on such a flashlight, but would consider that expensive. I'll read reviews at Amazon, maybe at Candlepower Forums too before making a decision. I'm thinking to get two, if not too expensive. The garbage ones I'm using now have steel cases (still are quite light), and I place them against big ole magnets that are mounted vertically, something that won't work with aluminum flashlights, but I realize I may not be able to get everything I want in a flashlight. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well plenty of cheap solutions have been given, start with those.

Keep in mind Amazon will take stuff back even if its not broken. If you just dont like it, send that sucker in for refund.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Keep in mind that rechargeable AAA's have a capacity of 800 MW and AA's have a capacity of 2000 MW. That means that a single AA light should only be 10% worse than a three AAA light. I prefer single or double AA lights for this reason.
Yes, a single AA would have ~90% the capacity in MW as 3x AAA's. But in my experience the 2x AA flashlights are way heavier, limited experience, certainly. Don't know if I've encountered a 1x AA flashlight, don't know their characteristics. I have a few 1x AAA flashlights, they are barely adequate for anything.
Well plenty of cheap solutions have been given, start with those.

Keep in mind Amazon will take stuff back even if its not broken. If you just dont like it, send that sucker in for refund.
Yeah, but I'll try hard to do my homework before ordering. I like to have a level of confidence before I confirm an order that I'll be happy with what I get. I've done scores or Amazon orders but only recall doing one return, it was from earlier this year. Of course, it's absolutely impossible to know in advance in all circumstances.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yes, a single AA would have !90% the capacity in MW as 3x AAA's. But in my experience the 2x AA flashlights are way heavier, limited experience, certainly. Don't know if I've encountered a 1x AA flashlight, don't know their characteristics.

I JUST SUGGESTED A COUPLE!
READ DAMN YOU! READ!

:mad:

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
those $5 cree's from china are great cheapos and plenty bright. I have like 8 of them that I put around the home and in the cars.

Ucmh9.jpg

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I have a couple of crappy 9 LED 3x AAA flashlights I got at Harbor Freight. The light output sucks and the battery life is abysmal. I have a headlamp I use for my bike that also uses 3x AAA's (straps to my head) that has awesome light output and unbelievable battery life. So I know I can get flashlights with similar characteristics. Where can I get them cheap? Preferably online, or maybe a local retailer.

Edit: I want something simple. At Amazon I'm seeing 3x AAA LED flashlights that cycle through High, Low, Flashing, Off. I don't want to mess with that. Just a simple On/Off is fine.

why 3 AAA? why not 1AA?

google rc-g2
$13 shipped

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
why 3 AAA? why not 1AA?

google rc-g2
$13 shipped

I would spend a few bucks more and get the Fenix E11 for $26. I've read that the battery life on those dealextreme type lights is terrible. I have the E21 and I've been happy with it.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
AA is the most common battery type in the world.

When SHTF and you need to find batteries for your flashlight, half the commercially available batteries on the planet are AA. Your neighbor has AA. Your local corner store has AA.