Dearborn school district now offering students 100% Halal menu

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2005
How is that bigoted?? It's what I saw. The bigotry is what's happening in those places. Keep diverting the topic.
not sure if you're honestly unable to see it or just being the typical person who'd make bigoted statements and then cop the 'who me?' defense.
Both are equally plausible.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
When you eat at the halal cart for lunch do you feel like it is endorsing Islam or that you are being prodded to become a Muslim?
No, because the government played no part in that decision. The only thing I would feel compelled to endorse in this scenario is Pepto.

Last edited:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Ah, and you are of the belief that those very outward displays of religion are somehow less trivial than food preparation, which has no religious display in the final product?
Both are ceremonial or traditional. A plastic baby Jesus in a diorama doesn’t make Christmas more spiritual. Killing an animal a certain way and saying a prayer to appease God doesn’t add to the food’s nutritional value.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I missed this post, but I agree with you. I don't think that Islam images should be off limits to free speech comedy in the usa
When I was in high school, “Piss Christ” was the controversy du jour. Our humanities teacher, who was a raging atheist, felt it necessary to show an image of the art in class to “inspire debate”. I believe a few Catholic parents got pissed off, but that was the extent of it.

Take that same teacher and have him show that South Park episode at the Dearborn school to “inspire debate”.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
[/QUOTE]k! I have no clue how TRIGGERED people get when they hear even a Muslim word such as halal, even if the word
No, because the government played no part in that decision. The only thing I would feel compelled to endorse in this scenario is Pepto.
The Government had no hand in the school districts decision! Get over it!!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
When I was in high school, “Piss Christ” was the controversy du jour. Our humanities teacher, who was a raging atheist, felt it necessary to show an image of the art in class to “inspire debate”. I believe a few Catholic parents got pissed off, but that was the extent of it.

Take that same teacher and have him show that South Park episode at the Dearborn school to “inspire debate”.

Was your school 90% Catholic?

Forget the SP episode, any image of prophets of Islam are strictly prohibited afaik. The reach of this should not extend to those who are non believers.

Curiously though, it's my understanding, the reasoning behind this is to stymie our tendency to worship the tangible. Christian's share the same sentiment, but the progression of each religion differed and here we are.

All that being said, I still don't see the OP as some huge problem. It makes sense from the schools district standpoint. Google yields articles going back 18 years regarding Dearborn introducing halal certified foods. Seems it progressed to the point where there was enough confusion about which specific school ordered what, and where it was actually ending up and the district just said eff it, almost all our school lunches require halal meat, let's do this.

And frankly (no pun intended), the meat in the certified PDF doesn't even appear to be better, just had the right words said to it. I couldn't eat those hot dogs anyways (maybe during zombie apocalypse lol)

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001

Forget the SP episode, any image of prophets of Islam are strictly prohibited afaik. The reach of this should not extend to those who are non believers.

Curiously though, it's my understanding, the reasoning behind this is to stymie our tendency to worship the tangible. Christian's share the same sentiment, but the progression of each religion differed and here we are.

All that being said, I still don't see the OP as some huge problem. It makes sense from the schools district standpoint. Google yields articles going back 18 years regarding Dearborn introducing halal certified foods. Seems it progressed to the point where there was enough confusion about which specific school ordered what, and where it was actually ending up and the district just said eff it, almost all our school lunches require halal meat, let's do this.

And frankly (no pun intended), the meat in the certified PDF doesn't even appear to be better, just had the right words said to it. I couldn't eat those hot dogs anyways (maybe during zombie apocalypse lol)

Does the district offer non hahal?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Yep, working class immigrant Catholics. I am coming at this topic from the perspective of watching atheists and the ACLU spend a good part of the 90s separating government entities from Christian cultural traditions. South Park did an episode on this too, where the school removed anything offensive from the Christmas play and it became something that everyone hated. You can probably trace a lot of blue collar Boomer Trumpism to this.

Je suis Charlie

As most topics do, the subject expanded. Can we force the Dearborn schools to serve Freedom Fries with their halal hot dogs and have a nun walk through and beat a few kids with rulers? Deal?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

That wasn’t my question. Do you feel like the food was an endorsement of Islam? If you don’t then you’ve just wasted your entire time arguing this.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yep, working class immigrant Catholics. I am coming at this topic from the perspective of watching atheists and the ACLU spend a good part of the 90s separating government entities from Christian cultural traditions. South Park did an episode on this too, where the school removed anything offensive from the Christmas play and it became something that everyone hated. You can probably trace a lot of blue collar Boomer Trumpism to this.

I expected as much, see my post though, the progression of Christianity and Islam thru the last 500 years is very different.

As most topics do, the subject expanded. Can we force the Dearborn schools to serve Freedom Fries with their halal hot dogs and have a nun walk through and beat a few kids with rulers? Deal?

Who says they aren't serving freedumb fries? So separation of church and state not a thing now?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Does the district offer non hahal?

Peruse their menu.

Just take this one for example. Look how many options there are, lol. I mean, cmon guys....they source beef and chicken as halal because 90% of their students want it. It's not like other proteins aren't offered.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Growing up in an era where we always had pizza in school on Fridays in deference to Catholics, why is this an issue??

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Growing up in an era where we always had pizza in school on Fridays in deference to Catholics, why is this an issue??

You know why - because it’s Muslims. Starbuck, to the best of my knowledge, has never registered any complaint as to the government funding of Christian schools or yeshivas, and that’s outright religious indoctrination. Instead, he draws the line here and insists that Dearborn light taxpayer money on fire to buy useless food because if they DIDN’T waste your tax dollars that would be improper.

I suspect this is like the Kavanaugh thread where he already knows his position is dumb but he’s too invested to admit it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I expected as much, see my post though, the progression of Christianity and Islam thru the last 500 years is very different.
Agreed, just look at what happened in Iran and Turkey. I play soccer with a few Iranians who came over during the revolution. The Iran they remember was not that unlike the NYC of my childhood in terms of culture and fashion.

Who says they aren't serving freedumb fries? So separation of church and state not a thing now?
Correction. Replace nun with nurse.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You know why - because it’s Muslims. Starbuck, to the best of my knowledge, has never registered any complaint as to the government funding of Christian schools or yeshivas, and that’s outright religious indoctrination. Instead, he draws the line here and insists that Dearborn light taxpayer money on fire to buy useless food because if they DIDN’T waste your tax dollars that would be improper.

I suspect this is like the Kavanaugh thread where he already knows his position is dumb but he’s too invested to admit it.
Like the Kavanaugh thread, at this point I am simply enjoying the mental gymnastics and obtuse questions

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Explain how your question is relevant.

It’s a simple question, if you’re confident in your position you should have no problem answering it.

The thing is you know you’re bullshitting so you’re scared of being trapped, which is why you won’t answer.