Dear EA, Regarding Origin

Zubinen

Nov 10, 2011
I am posting this here to make this issue known and so EA will do something about this. I will continue to post this on forums until this problem is fixed but I will edit my posts when and if this situation is rectified. I am Zubinen on Origin and I pre-purchased Battlefield 3: Limited Edition long before its release, and just last night I purchased Battlefield 3 Standard Edition in the hopes of getting a key for a friend, however for some reason it was added to my account automatically despite me already owning the limited edition of the game. I feel cheated of $30 and quite frankly it feels worse than if someone stole my wallet, because at least then I could see their face and that they're red blooded human beings, not some cold robotic corporation that refuses to yield.

I have contacted customer support and asked for them to give me a new key, or to disable the key and give me a refund, however neither of these were an option, instead I was told "we can give you a 20% off coupon for your next purchase instead of 15%" which really just adds insult to injury. I want to like the service provided by EA Origin, but with this sort of policy, I'm afraid I'd be rather reluctant to purchase things from here in the future, at least until said policy is revised. Hear me out EA, prove me wrong, show that you are capable of caring.

Attached is an image showing that my account has the Battlefield 3: Standard Edition despite the Limited Edition already being there prior to it being added:
http://oi39.tinypic.com/e6qats.jpg

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sucks that this happened to you, but is also something you should have realized would happen if you already purchased a game from them before.

Just keep talking with their support and ask to talk to higher level tiers and I'm sure they'll eventually cave based on the situation.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Moral of the story: Buy your games on steam...

I went through like 9 live chat support people just to get BF2 added to my account, a game i already own, all i needed was to have it registered on origin. Cant imagine trying to get a refund from those soabs. Heres my lousy experience with them:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2203396

Took forever! You may get lucky though :thumbsup:

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
I am posting this here to make this issue known and so EA will do something about this. [/URL]

Does this look like the EA customer service forum to you? You'd be lucky if anyone from EA ever even sees your post here.

Zubinen

Nov 10, 2011
Does this look like the EA customer service forum to you? You'd be lucky if anyone from EA ever even sees your post here.
They ban users for any form of complaints and I didn't want to have my Origin account deleted just because I wanted to post a thread to get their attention.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
They ban users for any form of complaints and I didn't want to have my Origin account deleted just because I wanted to post a thread to get their attention.

true. EA did say recently that they are removing the mods ability to ban game accounts.
Technically its a violation of free speech. shame no one sues. but imagine the lawsuits filed if people complained to their mortgage bank about something and the bank took their house and kept the money invested.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
You obviously didn't try hard enough with customer support.

I did the EXACT same thing when Bad Company 2 came out - I bought a key retail and added it to my account. I bought another key when it went on sale in the hopes of giving it as a gift, but ran into the same problem as you. In my case, however, the situation was rectified by having the new key voided and my charge was refunded.

Moral of the story: Continue talking to customer support until you get the response you want. My guess is you talked to one person who decided they weren't going to give a shit.

(And for the record, Origin/EADM never allowed gifting, and it explicitly states that any purchases will be added DIRECTLY to YOUR account.)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
And who's fault would it be for not knowing that? :sneaky:

Well steam allows gifting, its a reasonable assumption that origin would do the same. Why would it not allow this? Why would anyone want 2 copies of the same game.

Most veteran PC gamers should know better than to trust greedy franchise destroying ruiner of games Electronic Arts but some will unfortunately get caught out and the OP is one of them. If its anyone's fault its EA's for not thinking things through with origin.

BS like this is why i stick to steam.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Well steam allows gifting, its a reasonable assumption that origin would do the same. Why would it not allow this?

I'm sorry but in no way do I see your logic here. Buy a jap car and when the indicator stalk is on the other side of the steering wheel but you are too stupid to familiarise yourself it and cause an accident and it is your fault.

Assume that origin=steam and everything works exactly the same and guess what it is still your fault. Since when have any 2 pieces of software you have used in your entire life been exactly the same? I'll answer that for you.... never.

Bitching about it on anandtech forums seems so pointless...

P.s Steam blatantly asks you if you want to gift the purchase, wouldn't alarm bells start ringing when origin didn't do the same? But what did you do.. carry on and waste your money. I hope you can resolve this with the origin reps but blaming anyone but yourself for this mess is childish.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Well steam allows gifting, its a reasonable assumption that origin would do the same. Why would it not allow this? Why would anyone want 2 copies of the same game.

Most veteran PC gamers should know better than to trust greedy franchise destroying ruiner of games Electronic Arts but some will unfortunately get caught out and the OP is one of them. If its anyone's fault its EA's for not thinking things through with origin.

Technically speaking, it's not the same game. One is the Limited Edition, one is not.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I'm sorry but in no way do I see your logic here. Buy a jap car and when the indicator stalk is on the other side of the steering wheel but you are too stupid to familiarise yourself it and cause an accident and it is your fault.

Assume that origin=steam and everything works exactly the same and guess what it is still your fault. Since when have any 2 pieces of software you have used in your entire life been exactly the same? I'll answer that for you.... never.

Bitching about it on anandtech forums seems so pointless...

P.s Steam blatantly asks you if you want to gift the purchase, wouldn't alarm bells start ringing when origin didn't do the same? But what did you do.. carry on and waste your money. I hope you can resolve this with the origin reps but blaming anyone but yourself for this mess is childish.

EA shill lol.

Technically speaking, it's not the same game. One is the Limited Edition, one is not.

Fair point. But gifting is still something EA should have thought of, its not as if they are flying blind with origin they should have learnt something from steams past 6-7 years.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
EA is infamous for being willing to even break the law if they think they can make a buck. They're the kind of people that would steal candy from a baby without blinking an eye. Predatory marketing and broken promises are their bread and butter and anyone who thinks complaining about it on a website like this is just fooling themselves.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

You know what happens when you assume...

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009

This is a service, not a physical product. Consumers are used to competition and that often entails competing features and price.

You never made any assumptions in your life or what?
man you be perfect. I bet you perfect at everything.:thumbsup:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
This actually happened to my friend, let's call him Derp. He logged into *his friend's* Origin account and used his own payment info to buy him BF3. It put BF3 on Derp's Origin account instead of his friend's. He had to call EA and they added it to the correct account, but he now has BF3 LE and BF3 both on his own Origin account. Moral of the story, Origin is a mess and EA has no fucking clue what they're doing.