DEAD - Onlive - Spend $10+ get a coupon for 100% off any game, console or controller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
damn I don't have a TV with HDMI but this is a killer deal, I googled the controller, what are the media buttons at the bottom for? Hummm I have a free VGA port on my monitor anyone care to recommend a HDMI to VGA converter they've actually used? I googled them and was getting mixed reviews.

You do realize HDMI is a digital signal while VGA is analog? There are no "converters" per say, without completely stripping the signal and sending it a new one. Look up HD Fury, if it even still exists.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
I am really tempted to give the service a shot. The only thing holding me back is that it has to stream. I wish this service would combine with Steam so that I had the option of running the game locally or on the fly depending on my setup.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
will this finally work on wifi? I cancelled my free 1 year account... my system packs plenty-a-punch when it comes to games. No need to stream it!

trasixes

Feb 24, 2010
I was a beta tester (and subsequent "Founding member") with Onlive. It's a great service for those that can't afford to have the latest upgrades, or simply don't game enough to justify it.

It works with WiFi, to answer the guy above.

As the other gentleman said - they are streaming the audio and video output from the rendering server. The game runs on the server hardware, so you don't need a supercomputer to use the service. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that image quality can vary based on your internet connection. Even congestion between the servers and you can cause image degradation. It's never extreme, but you do notice the difference.

I ultimately abandoned Onlive because I refuse to purchase games that aren't available locally. Spend hundreds, or even thousands, on games, only to have the service go under and take my games with it? Erm, no thanks! If that isn't a concern for you, then I'd recommend the service!

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
does anyone know how many can be using the service at the same tiem? Gametap used to be 2 which was great for me an my son, and I may bite on this if they do the same.

Me too! I LOVED gametap until they removed ALL their kids games save 2. I, and apparently lots of parents, dumped them immediately. Idiots. I hope they go bankrupt.

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
will this finally work on wifi? I cancelled my free 1 year account... my system packs plenty-a-punch when it comes to games. No need to stream it!

It absolutely works on wifi. My daughter has a crappy netbook and uses onlive on wifi throughout the house with it.

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
I ultimately abandoned Onlive because I refuse to purchase games that aren't available locally. Spend hundreds, or even thousands, on games, only to have the service go under and take my games with it? Erm, no thanks! If that isn't a concern for you, then I'd recommend the service!

1) It's 10$ and then you can get a 60$ game for free. 10$ 2) They recently got a 45 million dollar investment from HTC. They aren't going anywhere. I, with my HTC Evo, am very happy about that one.

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
You still have until 1PM PST today to order 10$ or more to get this deal. I ordered the playpack, 9.99$, and the 5$ friday game (the ball) yesterday to get me over 10$.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I guess when I was "testing" it, it didn't work on wifi. It says it required a "LAN" connection. Guessed they ironed that out...

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
Ok. I got my code today. I'm confused though. It doesn't say any game, it say playpack?! This is from the email;

"100 Games, 100 hours,
100% off!
Congratulations, by making total purchases of $10 or more during our 100 Games Celebration, we're offering you this promo code good for 100% off an already released Full PlayPass, an OnLive Game System, or extra Wireless Controller (not valid for any pre-order, or in conjunction with any other offers such as the Disney 50% promotion)*.

This promo code is valid until July 4th, 2011, 11:59pm PT. So act now!"

Notice it finally gives the expiration of 3 weeks away!
If anyone has tried this for a game, not the playpack, please post it here. I'm debating getting another microconsole if I can't get a new game.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Ok. I got my code today. I'm confused though. It doesn't say any game, it say playpack?! This is from the email;

"100 Games, 100 hours,
100% off!
Congratulations, by making total purchases of $10 or more during our 100 Games Celebration, we're offering you this promo code good for 100% off an already released Full PlayPass, an OnLive Game System, or extra Wireless Controller (not valid for any pre-order, or in conjunction with any other offers such as the Disney 50% promotion)*.

This promo code is valid until July 4th, 2011, 11:59pm PT. So act now!"

Notice it finally gives the expiration of 3 weeks away!
If anyone has tried this for a game, not the playpack, please post it here. I'm debating getting another microconsole if I can't get a new game.

Full PlayPass means you get full access to a game on your account instead of renting it for a few days.

Usually there's 3 prices for a game. 3 day rental, 6 day rental, and then full play pass.

Then there's the games in the playpack.

So you should be Ok to get another game free but it doesn't look like it'll work on a pre-order deal. Not a big fan of that expiration date. Only a month to use it? I mean how many games do they really add within a month?

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
they'll probably honor it, with just an email to customer service... they're willing to make customers happy! they're the new kid on the block!

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
they'll probably honor it, with just an email to customer service... they're willing to make customers happy! they're the new kid on the block!

Oh, they'll honor it, I was reading PlayPass as Playpack. Full Playpass on onlive basically means own the game. I read it wrong.