DEAD - Onlive - Spend $10+ get a coupon for 100% off any game, console or controller

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
Deal is gone from the homepage.

http://www.onlive.com/go/100
Purchase must be made between June 6, 2011 at 9:00PM PDT and June 11, 2011 at 1AM PDT.

When you spend $10 or more in the Marketplace or OnLive Web Store, you are eligible for one of the following FREE items: PlayPass, OnLive Game System or OnLive Wireless Controller. You will receive an email message with the promotional coupon code by Monday, June 13, 11:59PM PDT.

$10 shipping charge for the console.

The OnLive Game System includes:
MicroConsole TV Adapter, OnLive Wireless Controller, Power Adapter and cables.

What is a PlayPass?
Provides unlimited access to the selected game throughout its supported lifetime on the OnLive service. We expect to keep all games supported for as long as people continue to play them, but at a minimum, all current games will be supported for 3 years after their release on the OnLive Service.

Last edited:

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
So if I buy a $10 game, I can get the console for $10 shipping? Seems like a good deal if that is the case.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
So if I buy a $10 game, I can get the console for $10 shipping? Seems like a good deal if that is the case.

I think the cheapest options are the tower defense game and dirt2. Both are something like $12 or $13. Or you could rent a couple of games to get over the $10. $9.99 doesn't count either.

Graxe

Feb 5, 2008
This is interesting, but are there any other uses for the microconsole? If its a full system, then it would come with a wireless controller right? This is probably a good deal on that alone.

Anyone have any impressions? My main concern is that the pricing doesn't appear to be that good and there is no guaranteed support for a purchased game past 3 years.

Graxe

Feb 5, 2008
Oh well I've lost interest now, I attempted to test out their application but I got a notice saying that my internet connection is not sufficient. They claim 3mbps is the minimum needed, which is what I have.

Hopefully someone else has some impressions.

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
I LOVE online. I have it on all my PCs and I have the microconsole. I got assasins creed brotherhood for 12$ on their easter sale. It works great on the microconsole for games like that. The twitch shooters, like homefront, which I also have, is only good on the PC and, even then, not as good as if it was installed locally. But the microconsole ABSOLUTELY works like an XBOX or PS3. It even accepts xbox controllers.

Try it for free on the PC like Graxe. YMMV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoW_zoX1w24

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
Is this online emulation?

No. Not emulation. The game is rendered in a server farm and the video is sent to you like netflix. That causes some lag. You need to check to see if it works for you first.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Oh well I've lost interest now, I attempted to test out their application but I got a notice saying that my internet connection is not sufficient. They claim 3mbps is the minimum needed, which is what I have.

Hopefully someone else has some impressions.

It is 3Mbps to their servers i believe which is the minimum, if you pay for 3Mbps you probably wont see that figure in real usage. I pay for 25Mbps but with most things i only end up seeing about 8-12Mbps.

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
I subscribe to the playpack for 9.99 a month. It's about to renew. I'm going to cancel it and resubscribe and throw on like a 3$ rental. Then when the coupon comes I may get red faction armageddon or another controller for my console..or a whole new console which comes with a controller also.

mleejr

Oct 19, 2007
I want to get it, but really want them to release the tablet application first! That is when I'd use OnLive, otherwise I have both my PS3 and gaming PC for everything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX0bs10-Vs&feature=share

I'm waiting for this also. I have an iPad and an Evo. They have a VIEWABLE only ipad app. I saw it demoed on an EVO with the controller playing a PC game through the Evo. SO SO SO kick ass! I want this! They can do it! I saw it demoed like 3 months ago! Release it!

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Apparently you can purchase Split/Second or Blur and you'll get both the 50% off any game coupon and the 100% off coupon. Those coupons won't work with the DNF preorder deal however. I actually called in about that.

Edit: If you guys got in on the Humble Bundle #2 or #3, you can activate trine, world of good, and braid on the service for free.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Its awesome guys. It really is. The controller is of high quality plasitcs and feels good in your hand. I'm horrible at playing fps games via controller so I stick to the mouse on those but for a game like dirt 2 or any of the little indie games the microconsole is great. I also subscribed to the playpack. Just cause 1 and 2 hitman evil genious lots of indie titles $10 a month. Its like netflix streaming for video games.

Just yesterday I was over at my gf house and was hanging out with her mom who never plays any video games. I brought the software up on my macbook (2ghz 2gig ram and intel lame gfx from 2006) and had her playing dirt 2 on my macbook in the kitchen. She had a blast with it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I dont think the controller works on the pc. From what I read you only get power to the controller via usb and it actually is using some wireless protocol. Who knows I didnt look into it too much.

Graxe

Feb 5, 2008
It is 3Mbps to their servers i believe which is the minimum, if you pay for 3Mbps you probably wont see that figure in real usage. I pay for 25Mbps but with most things i only end up seeing about 8-12Mbps.

Yeah the issue is Time Warner and AT&T are the only broadband providers in the area. I can get up to 7mbps with Time Warner and 6mbps with AT&T but it would be near triple the cost I currently pay. Its just not worth it to me with the recent AT&T bandwidth caps and whatever Time Warner might do in the future.

In an odd way OnLive keeps making me think of Sega Channel, which was amazing back in the day. However, even that never found a successful niche and ended up canceled. For now, I think I will stick to Steam since my box isn't quite dead yet. :D

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah the issue is Time Warner and AT&T are the only broadband providers in the area. I can get up to 7mbps with Time Warner and 6mbps with AT&T but it would be near triple the cost I currently pay. Its just not worth it to me with the recent AT&T bandwidth caps and whatever Time Warner might do in the future.

In an odd way OnLive keeps making me think of Sega Channel, which was amazing back in the day. However, even that never found a successful niche and ended up canceled. For now, I think I will stick to Steam since my box isn't quite dead yet. :D

Triple the cost?! :eek:

I pay 50 a month for 25Mbps up and down. I guess we are lucky on the east coast? ^_^

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
damn I don't have a TV with HDMI but this is a killer deal, I googled the controller, what are the media buttons at the bottom for? Hummm I have a free VGA port on my monitor anyone care to recommend a HDMI to VGA converter they've actually used? I googled them and was getting mixed reviews.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
damn I don't have a TV with HDMI but this is a killer deal, I googled the controller, what are the media buttons at the bottom for? Hummm I have a free VGA port on my monitor anyone care to recommend a HDMI to VGA converter they've actually used? I googled them and was getting mixed reviews.

The buttons on the bottom are for making brag clips. I dont really use them though. Im sure they will think up some more uses for them.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
does anyone know how many can be using the service at the same tiem? Gametap used to be 2 which was great for me an my son, and I may bite on this if they do the same.