Dawn of the Dead

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
PingSpike, I don't know where you got the idea that bullets don't knock you down. The primary goal of a bullet is to knock someone down (incapacitate), that's what's led to all our great modern bullet technologies (ie: designer hollowpoints.)

physics? if the person firing the gun doesn't get knocked down....

people fall down after getting shot because of the shock...damage, fear, etc..

Shoot a steel plate. Watch it fall over.

Shoot a side of beef. Watch it not fall over. Humans are made out of flesh, not steel plates so that argument is irrelevant. The body absorbs the impact of a bullet differently than a steel plate. You've seen to many movies.

Opps...physics:
http://users.binary.net/thomcat/Knockdn.html

And gun nut claims backed up by physics
http://www.jpfo.org/jp_iwba.htm
http://www.shoot-n-iron.com/big-bore-handguns.asp

Tom Clancy also mentioned the way bullets were improperly portrayed on the big screen and how it caused a lot of anguish for rookie police officers who emptied a clip into crack addict only to have him keep coming.

I think I believe Tom Clancy, physics and a bunch of gun advocates over some guy on a message board who probably hasn't even fired a gun before.

The original dawn of the dead portrayed bullets accurately. Zombies were shot with assault rifles (in the chest) and the bullets merely passed through them, the zombies barely flinched. Given the zombies don't feel any sort of pain, that is realistic.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
The original dawn of the dead portrayed bullets accurately. Zombies were shot with assault rifles (in the chest) and the bullets merely passed through them, the zombies barely flinched. Given the zombies don't feel any sort of pain, that is realistic.

If zombies dont feel any pain, why is it that in the original DotD, they didnt like fire near their hands?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Intake77

If zombies dont feel any pain, why is it that in the original DotD, they didnt like fire near their hands?

Thats a good point. In the originals they were afraid of fire. Its inconsistant.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Intake77

Thats a good point. In the originals they were afraid of fire. Its inconsistant.

maybe it reminds them of hell?

I finally caught it this weekend. It was a really good horror movie though only about 49% faithful to the original.

A couple of things bothered me. The worst was that the dead don't come back to life, it's only people who die from bites. I know that makes it more believable but if you are going to buy into a story where the dead walk the Earth what's a little more suspension of disbelief going to hurt? I mean the movie is called "Dawn of the Dead" right? It would have been really scary if the gunshot victims got up and attacked.

There were so many holes in the plot it was not funny. Most of them were already mentioned so I won't bother relisting. The end was pretty cool. The original Dawn of the Dead had a grim ending that got cut. Once Peter and Francine escape to the roof they got in the helicopter and it was out of gas. Night of the Living dead also had a unhappy ending. Only Day of the Dead was remotely happy in the end.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: dwell
I finally caught it this weekend. It was a really good horror movie though only about 49% faithful to the original.

A couple of things bothered me. The worst was that the dead don't come back to life, it's only people who die from bites. I know that makes it more believable but if you are going to buy into a story where the dead walk the Earth what's a little more suspension of disbelief going to hurt? I mean the movie is called "Dawn of the Dead" right? It would have been really scary if the gunshot victims got up and attacked.

There were so many holes in the plot it was not funny. Most of them were already mentioned so I won't bother relisting. The end was pretty cool. The original Dawn of the Dead had a grim ending that got cut. Once Peter and Francine escape to the roof they got in the helicopter and it was out of gas. Night of the Living dead also had a unhappy ending. Only Day of the Dead was remotely happy in the end.

Yeah, its not very faithful to the original...it appears to be a stand alone zombie film that borrows heavily from the original trilogy. At first I thought it might be a super close remake like the 90s NotLD. (which was superb IMO) It was entertaining, but not great. Good though.

Day of the dead was some kind of crazy gore fest wasn't it? With all the zombie experiments?

Day of the dead was some kind of crazy gore fest wasn't it? With all the zombie experiments?
I have not really seen it in like 10 years. I did watch it on the Sci-Fi channel last weekend but it was so edited it's not even worth mentioning.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

when in the movie did the dead come back to life? i just saw it and only thoes that had been bitter had turnerd, it started with a few and spread, remember in teh biginning in the hospitial the say that guy had a bite on his neck....
hell they even talked about this in the movie saying only thoes that get bitten turn

anyway i thought it was good for what it was supposed to be, i havent seen teh origional in so long but i did like it, and it reinforces my beleife that women (girls) are stupid

anyway i thought the opening was sweet as hell, Johnney Cash singing, The Man Comes Around to all that chaos was sweet

Actually haveing it end with thaqt song might have even been sweeter

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I think I believe Tom Clancy, physics and a bunch of gun advocates over some guy on a message board who probably hasn't even fired a gun before.

My newest aquisition

I have around 25 guns... A lot of deer rifles, an AR-15, an AR-10, an HK-91, a Sig 226, Sig 228, Sig 220, Colt Gold Cup...

Anyways, apparently I know nothing about physics. What are you gonna tell me next, that bullets don't travel in a straight line? HA.

PS Anyone who uses the word parabola is a stinker.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

My newest aquisition

I have around 25 guns... A lot of deer rifles, an AR-15, an AR-10, an HK-91, a Sig 226, Sig 228, Sig 220, Colt Gold Cup...

Anyways, apparently I know nothing about physics. What are you gonna tell me next, that bullets don't travel in a straight line? HA.

You failed to make an argument against his original argument of the physics of getting shot. Is it because you don't have one, or you know you're wrong?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Anubis

when in the movie did the dead come back to life? i just saw it and only thoes that had been bitter had turnerd, it started with a few and spread, remember in teh biginning in the hospitial the say that guy had a bite on his neck....
hell they even talked about this in the movie saying only thoes that get bitten turn

anyway i thought it was good for what it was supposed to be, i havent seen teh origional in so long but i did like it, and it reinforces my beleife that women (girls) are stupid

anyway i thought the opening was sweet as hell, Johnney Cash singing, The Man Comes Around to all that chaos was sweet

What are you talking about?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

My newest aquisition

You failed to make an argument against his original argument of the physics of getting shot. Is it because you don't have one, or you know you're wrong?

I don't have an argument. I'm probably wrong, which suprises the crap out of me, but it's not really important. I'm a good enough shot that I can shoot someone, and they'll fall down. :p

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

My newest aquisition

I don't have an argument. I'm probably wrong, which suprises the crap out of me, but it's not really important. I'm a good enough shot that I can shoot someone, and they'll fall down. :p

So you aim for the knees ehh? ;) I've never been shot myself but I figure if you get shot anywhere you're gonna grab that bodypart and fall to the ground in pain because of the pain.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

My newest aquisition

So you aim for the knees ehh? ;) I've never been shot myself but I figure if you get shot anywhere you're gonna grab that bodypart and fall to the ground in pain because of the pain.

I've heard that it only really hurts when you think about it. Like people who don't know they've been shot sometimes take a little bit to realize it.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

My newest aquisition

I've heard that it only really hurts when you think about it. Like people who don't know they've been shot sometimes take a little bit to realize it.

Not to flame the fires anymore, but if you flew back when you were shot like you had thought/argued, wouldn't you instantly know you've been shot?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

What are you talking about?

it makes perfect sence, you never saw people digging themselfs out of the ground, and teh people that were shot before becomming zombies DID NOT GET BACK UP, how are you confused

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

My newest aquisition

Not to flame the fires anymore, but if you flew back when you were shot like you had thought/argued, wouldn't you instantly know you've been shot?

I guess I never really thought about it.

it makes perfect sence, you never saw people digging themselfs out of the ground, and teh people that were shot before becomming zombies DID NOT GET BACK UP, how are you confused
In the original series, the recently deceased (unburied dead) came back to life. It was never really explained why, other than a passing reference to radiation from a Venus satellite in the first Night of the Living Dead. In the original Dawn of the Dead quite a few people come back to life after dying. Flyboy was shot in the elevator and comes back to life in the end.

The new Dawn of the Dead does not follow the "Living Dead" canon in that regard and IMHO that's a pretty big thing to change. It would have been very cool to see Mekhi Phifer's character come back to life after dying of gunshot wounds.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I didn't believe it at first either. But apparently its true. I haven't seen anyone shot so I can't really comment from personal experience or anything, but a few years ago I looked into it being a common myth perpetuated by hollywood after reading a Tom Clancy interview. And it makes sense if you think about the physics involved...particularly the fact that the person who fires the gun doesn't get knocked down.

I think most people would fall down when shot because well...they've been shot, and it hurts.

Have you seen that movie 'Last Man Standing' with Bruce Willis? Man the bullets were ridicious in that...guys went flying 20ft backwards, no joke. Entertaining film though, not Bruce's best work.

I apologize for insinuating (falsely) that you'd never fired a gun before. You clearly have more experience with them than I.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Am i the only one to think that 28 days later was almost the same as DOTD, but without all the explosions, sex, and humor?

28 days later was created by a european (i'm thinking british) director right? American directors and all their sex and gore :sun:

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: erikiksaz
Am i the only one to think that 28 days later was almost the same as DOTD, but without all the explosions, sex, and humor?

28 days later was created by a european (i'm thinking british) director right? American directors and all their sex and gore :sun:
The characters and specifics of the plot were very different between the two movies. 28 Days Later focused more on character development and the general "end of the world" scenario. Dawn of the Dead was more spirtual and it focused more on action and survival of the group of people.

Both movies were great in their own way. Different settings, characters, and general pacing.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I just saw it last night and I thought it was pretty cool. I saw Night of the Living dead a long time ago but I don't remember it. What was the original ones about and how was this one different?

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
Saw it tonight... I liked it.
Things that bothered me.. the stupid red headed girl getting her dog... and CJ becomes this hero/goodguy in the last 1/4 of the movie.
The sex scene didnt have to be there but hey whats a movie without some random sex scene. lol

Oh... guess im not the only one.. but I had the A-Team theme song in my head :)

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

My newest aquisition

Depends on the mass of the bullet, the grain of the load, and the type of projectile. Certain bullets are designed to penetrate, some are designed to mushroom and stop with an abrupt force (i.e. .45 hollowpoint).