Dawn of the Dead

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Why the f did the blonde risk her life by getting the keys to the boat off of dead Steve? Makes zero sense. They can A-Team those vans but they can't hotwire a boat? That was stupid.

A couple of other things seemed totally stupid also. For example, when the nurse sticks her ear right by the dead fat woman's face. Sheesh! Is she that stupid?

That guy also had to know his wife was turning into a zombie. Dilusional enough to ask if the old lady was going to tear his family apart? Hello!? And that baby was disturbing looking. You could tell if was going to be a zombie as soon as you saw the thing poking while it was still in the womb. That wasn't something a normal baby would do. Anyway, I'm glad he got shot. That guy was a dick.

Aug 23, 2000
I liked it. Wasn't as good as the original( I have that on tape somewhere). Anyways, Andy in the gun store was there as a plot devise for the dog and to show that they weren't the only survivors.

like mentioned above, the part where they were spotting stars and Andy was shooting them was pure comedy.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
It would have been nice if the movie was shot in the same fashion as "28 day." It was just a little scarier. Even the older zombie movies were scarier.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
This movie rocked, except for some fvck behind us kept coughing the whole damn time, people were moving away from it being so nasty sounding, I just don't understand how someone would be going to a movie like that, if I were that sick I'd sure as sh!t not be going to a movie.

but the movie rocked non the less.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Why the f did the blonde risk her life by getting the keys to the boat off of dead Steve? Makes zero sense. They can A-Team those vans but they can't hotwire a boat? That was stupid.

A couple of other things seemed totally stupid also. For example, when the nurse sticks her ear right by the dead fat woman's face. Sheesh! Is she that stupid?

That guy also had to know his wife was turning into a zombie. Dilusional enough to ask if the old lady was going to tear his family apart? Hello!? And that baby was disturbing looking. You could tell if was going to be a zombie as soon as you saw the thing poking while it was still in the womb. That wasn't something a normal baby would do. Anyway, I'm glad he got shot. That guy was a dick.

Blonde risked her life to get the key because they were in a rush. Sure they could probably have hotwired the boat, but A-teaming the vans took days, so they probably wernt as good as BA Barackus. (Did everyone notice that Murdock is actually in the movie?:))

The baby was funny.

And that fat woman and her ear? C'mon they didnt know by that time that it was a disease or whatever causing zombies. YOUR ARGUEMENT IS CRAP. :D

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Intake77

Blonde risked her life to get the key because they were in a rush. Sure they could probably have hotwired the boat, but A-teaming the vans took days, so they probably wernt as good as BA Barackus. (Did everyone notice that Murdock is actually in the movie?:))

The baby was funny.

And that fat woman and her ear? C'mon they didnt know by that time that it was a disease or whatever causing zombies. YOUR ARGUEMENT IS CRAP. :D

Hardly. First of all she looked exactly like the other zombies that she personally saw. But whatever, it was kinda cheesy IMHO.

Am I missing something? Where was Murdock?:confused:

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

The baby was funny.

Hardly. First of all she looked exactly like the other zombies that she personally saw. But whatever, it was kinda cheesy IMHO.

Am I missing something? Where was Murdock?:confused:

Nevermind, I thought one of the survivors looked an awful lot like Dwight Shultz, alas, it wasnt him... I thought the A-team references ran deep. :( :brokenheart:

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
Do they ever say what the plague is???

I mean i liked the return of the living dead series because it was some gas the military had call trioxin

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: FFactory0x
Do they ever say what the plague is???

I mean i liked the return of the living dead series because it was some gas the military had call trioxin
Nope, not really. In an interview some church fellow said (paraphrasing), "When there is no more room in Hell, the dead shall roam the Earth."

It seemed better left to the imagination, rather than trying to tack on some trumped up disease or toxin that would cause dead people to attack healthy humans. The second you introduce "real life" into a plot, it becomes an order of magnitude easier to pick apart the inconsistancies. If it was a toxin or actual disease, then why don't the zombies attack each other or the dog, Chips? Certainly a virus/bacterium wouldn't be smart enough to know who was or wasn't infected.

Not to mention the obvious question of how a foreign body could actually reanimate a corpse after it died. Sometimes it's better to leave the cause to some supernatural power. Shut your brain off and watch an entertaining (IMO) movie.

28 Days Later did a reasonable job of injecting some plausibility to the mythos by keeping the zombies still alive and saying it was caused an infection.

Jun 18, 2000
now dont these zombies die without food like in 28days
Where did you get this from? Neither in 28 Days Later nor in Dawn of the Dead did anybody know how long the zombies would survive.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Where did you get this from? Neither in 28 Days Later nor in Dawn of the Dead did anybody know how long the zombies would survive.
Zombies in 28 days later did die off after a certain time though... he was saying "like in 28 days" meaning "like in the movie, 28 days later" Translation4u!

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Zombies in 28 days later did die off after a certain time though... he was saying "like in 28 days" meaning "like in the movie, 28 days later" Translation4u!
Thanks for the translation.:D I see what he was trying to say, and yes they started dying off in 28 Days Later (which is to be expected when the infected don't eat or drink anything). The story of Dawn of the Dead didn't take place over a long enough time to witness any "dying off" of the zombies.

Given the supernatural feel of the zombies in DotD, I guess they would stay alive until their flesh rots enough to where they couldn't move.

Why would they shoot Burt Reynolds?:(

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Great movie, very funny. More funny then horror, I liked the ending alot too.

Funny crap!

adelphi

Banned
Dec 28, 2003
the fat woman zombie in nighties running towards scares me

seriously someone in the theater got so scare they farted and started an excodus of audience
(it was a monday matinee so plenty of other seats)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
It would have been nice if the movie was shot in the same fashion as "28 day." It was just a little scarier. Even the older zombie movies were scarier.

hah, hell no! a blurry low res low budget mess? i don't get discounts on tickets for their low budget, i don't want them to spend as little as possible to make a freakin movie:)

was an amusing dumb fun zombie movie. didn't hold back on violence and gore, just the way it should be.:) course its always funny how accurate these rent a cops and civilians are with guns, headshots everywhere:)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
That reminds me.... What mall's security guards have GUNS?! Around here they have funny hats and radios, which are mostly used to radio in, "Some kid stole my funny hat."

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

hah, hell no! a blurry low res low budget mess? i don't get discounts on tickets for their low budget, i don't want them to spend as little as possible to make a freakin movie:)

was an amusing dumb fun zombie movie. didn't hold back on violence and gore, just the way it should be.:) course its always funny how accurate these rent a cops and civilians are with guns, headshots everywhere:)

I had the same complaint, but it appears that many of the zombies that were in the sewer that they were taking wild shots at, weren't hit in the head but still went down. I know I saw one take a bullet in the chest and go down. Perhaps they just toppled over for a moment and then got back up. Which doesn't make sense either...bullets don't knock you over...they just go through you/in you.

One thing that did irk me is the character inconsistencies. Mekhi Phifer's character going insano? I didn't buy that, he'd been pretty level headed up until that point and just wasn't the murdering type...trying to have the baby I could see him doing...but not going nutso and killing that old woman. And CJ? The movie spent a lot of time in the beginning portraying him as heartless and only looking out for himself...yet when he becomes 'part of the team' even after his friend gets eaten on a mission he was forced to do...and to top it all of he goes out in a blaze of self sacrifice. That was totally out of character.

Still a fun movie though.

RC cars from malls do typically have bad range...I'm not sure of the range on the average compound crossbow though.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
PingSpike, I don't know where you got the idea that bullets don't knock you down. The primary goal of a bullet is to knock someone down (incapacitate), that's what's led to all our great modern bullet technologies (ie: designer hollowpoints.)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
PingSpike, I don't know where you got the idea that bullets don't knock you down. The primary goal of a bullet is to knock someone down (incapacitate), that's what's led to all our great modern bullet technologies (ie: designer hollowpoints.)

physics? if the person firing the gun doesn't get knocked down....

people fall down after getting shot because of the shock...damage, fear, etc..

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: Nebor

physics? if the person firing the gun doesn't get knocked down....

people fall down after getting shot because of the shock...damage, fear, etc..

Shoot a steel plate. Watch it fall over.

mattyrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2000
Remember on TV where the minister/religious guy was talking about it? He said something like "Once the depths of hell fills up the dead shall rise again and roam the earth" - that's where the initial "flood" came from. They attack people, those people get mutated into the zombies, chain reaction, etc etc. I'm sure the original trilogy could explain it better than I can (I've never watched the original either)
The line was "When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth". Did anyone catch who that was?? It was Ken Foree, who played Peter in the original Dawn movie. That was his Tagline in it!
I'm a HUGE fan of the original (and all of the Dead trilogy), and went in thinking it was gonna be terrible, and a crappy re-make, but I tought it was really well done. They really captured the whole 'end of the world' feeling. I'm not so sure I would've called it Dawn of the Dead though, it was more of a different take of the story, than a re-make. Anyone else catch the cameos by the other original Dawn cast members??

CoolTechie

Jul 20, 2000
responses:

well you cant say hell was full because people had to get bit to turn into zombies

also if they did get bit, they were then subsequently infected and died a short time later.. thus it has to be some sort of disease
------------------------------------------------
bullets are meant to knock you over, thats crazy to even think that a zombie wouldnt fall over due to the force of a bullet
as far as the other dude shooting the woman after she shot his zombie girlfriend, that def was NOT out of character.. the reason he was doing better in his life was due to his gf and upcomming baby, when the realization that they r both now gone, he obv doesnt care anymore and has no hope
yes andys building was mad far away.. no way they coulda reached it with any type of in mall device
personally i woulda stayed in the fcking mall and reinforced its doors and sht with more barricades.. plus they had food there.. oh well... fun movie!

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well I finally saw it and thought it was pretty good. The only thing that really bugged me was the way they handled Andy. They say 5 more days before they can leave and send the dog over. The poop hits the fan and they end up going through the sewers over to Andy's(why they hell didn't they do that earlier) only to come running back and hop in the vans and haul ass outa there. They should have just left in the vans when they knew Andy had ran out of food.

Since nobody else has said it yet.

I haven't seen Night of the Living Dead in a while but when they were watching the news and the cop was talking about how you killed them that was pretty much the end of Night of the Living Dead wasn't it? Kind of tied them together.

Oh and did they have to kill of Max Headroom so quikly :)?