Dawn of the Dead

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RavnShield

Jul 18, 2002
There are some really funny parts and some jump scenes but nothing too big. There is a lot of gore since the only way to kill the zombies is shoot them in the head.

SmackdownHotel

Golden Member
May 19, 2000
Originally posted by: RavnShield
Originally posted by: TheAudit
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: acidvoodoo
what happens in the credits?

The survivors on the boat find another boat in the water with a zombie onboard.
They come to an island and the last thing you see is a lot of zombies coming out of the woods.

Lol yea that too. But what was the first clip during the credits.

LOL they were watching home videos of Steve (the boat's owner) and some naked chick he had on his lap.

BTW, was it just the head or a whole zombie they found on that boat? I think I heard one of them yell, "Shoot it!"

That red-headed girl, though cute, basically ruined all their plans.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
You all forgot the most important detail.... who got naked and how much did they show. :D:p

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: imtim83
I thought Dawn of the Dead (2004) was a ok movie but what made me really angry is the sex scene in the mall and the nude scene at the end. That made me very angry and upset. Why in the heck do they always have to have a dum sex scene and nude scene in horror movies? I hate it. Its uncalled for. The movie could of been so much better without either of these. I mean whats the point of sex scenes or nude scenes?

If the few brief flashes of nipples are the only thing that offended you about this movie, you have a very fvcked up value system.

It was a solid movie, despite not following the original very closely I enjoyed it. Good gore effects, some plots holes and annoying moves by the characters (a standard staple of horror movies I'm afraid) and a solid job by the cast. I definately jumped at a lot of the beginning scares, which seemed to be particularly well timed.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I thought Dawn of the Dead (2004) was a ok movie but what made me really angry is the sex scene in the mall and the nude scene at the end. That made me very angry and upset. Why in the heck do they always have to have a dum sex scene and nude scene in horror movies? I hate it. Its uncalled for. The movie could of been so much better without either of these. I mean whats the point of sex scenes or nude scenes?

If the few brief flashes of nipples are the only thing that offended you about this movie, you have a very fvcked up value system.

It was a solid movie, despite not following the original very closely I enjoyed it. Good gore effects, some plots holes and annoying moves by the characters (a standard staple of horror movies I'm afraid) and a solid job by the cast. I definately jumped at a lot of the beginning scares, which seemed to be particularly well timed.

Don't mind him - he's our resident sex tool - swears he'll never like women and doesn't ever want to do anything with women
rolleye.gif

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: SmackdownHotel
Originally posted by: RavnShield
Originally posted by: TheAudit
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: acidvoodoo
what happens in the credits?

The survivors on the boat find another boat in the water with a zombie onboard.
They come to an island and the last thing you see is a lot of zombies coming out of the woods.

Lol yea that too. But what was the first clip during the credits.

LOL they were watching home videos of Steve (the boat's owner) and some naked chick he had on his lap.

BTW, was it just the head or a whole zombie they found on that boat? I think I heard one of them yell, "Shoot it!"

That red-headed girl, though cute, basically ruined all their plans.

Just the head - it was in the ice chest

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: brunswickite
can anyone explain how people started turning into zombies? they never explained it in the film
Remember on TV where the minister/religious guy was talking about it? He said something like "Once the depths of hell fills up the dead shall rise again and roam the earth" - that's where the initial "flood" came from. They attack people, those people get mutated into the zombies, chain reaction, etc etc. I'm sure the original trilogy could explain it better than I can (I've never watched the original either)
Actually, that was the original trilogy's explination. That way you don't have people complaining about the implausability of toxins or viruses, etc. Heck, that's why religions use God for so many things they can't explain. Plus, this way it gives the future a far bleaker outlook. You know there's no way out of things.

For anyone who'd be interested in a surreal interpetation of what that would look like, rent Cemetary Man. Kindda like Brazil meets Return of the Living Dead.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I thought the island had very limited people on it.... I'd like to think that only 20 or so zombies came out of the woods, they were killed, and everyone lived happily ever after. I hate movies with vague endings... bleh.

So everyone else seems to believe that they got to the island and got ganked, after all that? And let Chips, that little bastard, led a fat and happy life on the island?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I thought the island had very limited people on it.... I'd like to think that only 20 or so zombies came out of the woods, they were killed, and everyone lived happily ever after. I hate movies with vague endings... bleh.

So everyone else seems to believe that they got to the island and got ganked, after all that? And let Chips, that little bastard, led a fat and happy life on the island?

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

i agree with you. it was not called for in this particular flick.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: thejackal1
So everyone died on the boat that was heading to the island...right?

Except for Chips, he probably led a long and healthy life on the island... Little bastard.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Got back from seeing this a couple hours ago.
Not bad.
Not the best movie I've ever seen, but it was worth seeing.
I wish they wouldn't have focused so much on the "plot" though :(
Oh well, I got my money's worth (free) :D

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I enjoyed it quite a bit. Much better than I thought it was gonna be. Hollah.

A couple of things that bugged me though:

How did they know which boat was that guys?
and
Apparently all the survivors were a member of the A-Team at one point.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yeah, there were some plot holes definately...and it missed some of the zombie fighting inginuity of the originals.

The guy trapped on the other side annoyed me in retrospect. Some untrained mutt dog knows how to go over there? I don't think so. The best way to get food to him would have been to use an RC car from the toy store with a loop attached for hooking. (Don't tell me there wasn't ONE RC car in the store)

Another option would have been rope and a crossbow...The sporting goods store would likely of had at least one crossbow, the gun store the guy was in definately would have. It may have taken a few shots but it definately could have been done. Hell, if it was a strong cable the gun store guy may have been able to go across it. Food at the very least though.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Yeah, there were some plot holes definately...and it missed some of the zombie fighting inginuity of the originals.

The guy trapped on the other side annoyed me in retrospect. Some untrained mutt dog knows how to go over there? I don't think so. The best way to get food to him would have been to use an RC car from the toy store with a loop attached for hooking. (Don't tell me there wasn't ONE RC car in the store)

Another option would have been rope and a crossbow...The sporting goods store would likely of had at least one crossbow, the gun store the guy was in definately would have. It may have taken a few shots but it definately could have been done. Hell, if it was a strong cable the gun store guy may have been able to go across it. Food at the very least though.

I guess you didnt notice how far the gun store was away from the mall... there was one scene in particular that showed the distance... it was defintely farther range than some sh!tty mall RC car would be able to go, and definately further than a crossbow would fire. This isnt Mission Impossible.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

The point of the dog was to show it only affected humans I think.

Jun 18, 2000
Yep, and IMO it helped reinforce the concept of the infection being a "hell-born" entity.

I found the movie enjoyable overall. Definitely some funny bits and plenty of creepy/jumpy horror. The accident in the truck with the chainsaw between the old guy and attractive woman still gives me chills.:frown:

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Yep, and IMO it helped reinforce the concept of the infection being a "hell-born" entity.

I found the movie enjoyable overall. Definitely some funny bits and plenty of creepy/jumpy horror. The accident in the truck with the chainsaw between the old guy and attractive woman still gives me chills.:frown:

I hate to say it, but I thought that was hilarious, of course, most chainsaws have a trigger you have to hold down to get the chain spinning and it may have been easy enough for him to release it when they flipped the van, but... :)