Dawn of the Dead

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
3 stars :D I didn't think it was BOO! scary, but end-of-the-world scary, which is the kind of theme that bothers me. A few minor plot holes, but I can overlook them. No spoilers from me :)

Basic Zombie Question: Why the heck are there so many zombies? Movie zombies are vicious and I would expect that a very small percentage of victims remain "intact" enough to become zombies themselves. It's not like zombies go around taste testing living people (and infecting them). Movies are so unrealistic . . .

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
> Basic Zombie Question

In the Romero version the recently dead were the first wave, so there was a large initial supply. More people dying from the mass panic (trampling, starving, heart attacks / other illness) added to the total. Romero's zombies were creeated from death by any means not by zombie bites. Zombie victims would be gnawed on but not fully consumed so they too become zombies.

In other words, it was "logical" in the original trilogy.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman It's not like zombies go around taste testing living people (and infecting them). Movies are so unrealistic . . .

Heh. It's a ZOMBIE movie! How realistic could it be! :)

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I just came back from watching it. It was OK. It didn't live up to my standards. I thought the movie was gonna be really scary. However, it was nothing near scary.

I didn't like the end, either.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
this movie was horrible,

it did not explain anything, it had no plot, no reasoning whatsoever
the charectors did stupid things, and the movie was very anticlimactic

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: NorthRiver
Why would you even pay to see this crap???

i dunno :(

but i will think next time beforei shell out 9 bucks

for everyone else, i recommend a wait for TV or maybe DVD rental

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: brunswickite
Originally posted by: NorthRiver
Why would you even pay to see this crap???

i dunno :(

but i will think next time beforei shell out 9 bucks

for everyone else, i recommend a wait for TV or maybe DVD rental

I am still suprised at how much other people have to pay just to see a movie. It is only $6 here.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
> Basic Zombie Question

In the Romero version the recently dead were the first wave, so there was a large initial supply. More people dying from the mass panic (trampling, starving, heart attacks / other illness) added to the total. Romero's zombies were creeated from death by any means not by zombie bites. Zombie victims would be gnawed on but not fully consumed so they too become zombies.

In other words, it was "logical" in the original trilogy.

What movies are in the trilogy??

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
i love zombie movies. but i havnt seen it yet.
to answer your question:
a lot of people die. so...thats why there are so many zombies. depending on the mythos, some zombie films have corpses decades old reanimating while others only have the fresh or "infected" cadavers becoming zombies.
the trilogy this is based on presupposes that any corpse will become a zombie (and remain one) unless it is either completely destroyed or its brainstem is severed from the body.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I think I read a short story awhile back from Stephen King about zombies...set on a small island off of Maine that serves as one of the last refuges from the mainland, with all the townspeople waiting in the island cemetary with shotguns aimed at all the headstones...I want to see THAT made into a zombie movie!!

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was confident that the baby would be used as a "hope for the future" device, so it surprised me that the baby was also a zombie. I thought perhaps the baby would be normal and would save the human race by providing an antibody against the zombifying agent. I was also surprised that the gunshop owner was killed off. These two events made the movie even more pessimistic.

Ludacris

Oct 4, 2001
You can download the scripts of the original trilogy off the web if you search google. They are in Word format and they are great reads. Defanitely alot better than the 2004 remake.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: brunswickite
this movie was horrible,

it did not explain anything, it had no plot, no reasoning whatsoever
the charectors did stupid things, and the movie was very anticlimactic
How does it compare to the original, that's what I want to know.

I know that the remake of Night rocked and I felt it was better than the original, but I think that's more a result of its being almost independant and modest budget. I haven't had high hopes about this one because of how involved it appeared that Hollywood was getting.

WyteWatt

Banned
Jun 8, 2001
I thought Dawn of the Dead (2004) was a ok movie but what made me really angry is the sex scene in the mall and the nude scene at the end. That made me very angry and upset. Why in the heck do they always have to have a dum sex scene and nude scene in horror movies? I hate it. Its uncalled for. The movie could of been so much better without either of these. I mean whats the point of sex scenes or nude scenes?

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: imtim83
I thought Dawn of the Dead (2004) was a ok movie but what made me really angry is the sex scene in the mall and the nude scene at the end. That made me very angry and upset. Why in the heck do they always have to have a dum sex scene and nude scene in horror movies? I hate it. Its uncalled for. The movie could of been so much better without either of these. I mean whats the point of sex scenes or nude scenes?

The audience that they are shooting for are going to like nude scenes.

gururu

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Saw it last night. Totally fun movie. Each character had their quirks. Everybody became a hero. Zombie galore. Nice sense of humor. Some parts were nasty/funny. Everybody in the audience was cracking up.
Highly recommended. Not as scary as I was led to believe. It was just so humorous. Why does every horror movie nowadays have to have a :( ending?!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I enjoyed it as well, but the stupid decisions by the characters really got on my nerves . . .

The opening and closing credits were fantastic, and I loved the scene with the lounge version of "Down With The Sickness." :D Andy was a bad mofo. :p

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: imtim83

Geez.. lighten up, you freakin' puritan... Boobies are a good thing!

;)

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
This movie rocked! Lots of very well done gore, a surprising amount of humor, and none of that optimistic filler that most movie get nowadays. Easily the best movie of its genre I've seen in the last few years (and I'm very picky about movies in general).

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
This movie rocked! Lots of very well done gore, a surprising amount of humor, and none of that optimistic filler that most movie get nowadays. Easily the best movie of its genre I've seen in the last few years (and I'm very picky about movies in general).

there was one thing this movie was missing.........

PLOT

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
SPOILER!!

Originally posted by: Mermaidman
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was confident that the baby would be used as a "hope for the future" device, so it surprised me that the baby was also a zombie. I thought perhaps the baby would be normal and would save the human race by providing an antibody against the zombifying agent. I was also surprised that the gunshop owner was killed off. These two events made the movie even more pessimistic.

hehe yeah that woulda been coool.....

did you stay while the credits were rolling?....seems like everyone died and the hero dudes (the security dude and the calm leader) actions at the end seemed useless after the "ending" during the credits....

yeah, the movie was more comedic and action orientated than a horror movie hehe