Dashcam Shows Cop Tasering Teen

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Again, the kid reacted exactly as his police officer father told him to in the event that he was pulled over.
His dad told him to not comply? I finally watched the video (I don't like seeing people crippled or maimed) This makes me incredibly sad such a horrible waste.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
His dad told him to not comply? I finally watched the video (I don't like seeing people crippled or maimed) This makes me incredibly sad such a horrible waste.

his dad who is a cop says you have the right to know why you are arrested.

you some ass on the internet says otherwise.

lol.
wow.

Matt was furious. He and Stacy sat Bryce down. They told him that they were disappointed he was smoking marijuana but that his civil rights had been violated. Matt told him that if an officer ever stopped him, he had every right to know why he was being stopped, and whether he was under arrest. The conversation was still fresh in Bryce’s mind on September 14 when Officer Runnels pulled him over.
why does that pesky constitution always get in the way of stasi police tactics.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/07...-8-minutes-now-facing-a-lifetime-of-recovery/

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
his dad who is a cop says you have the right to know why you are arrested.
Such a sad situation. I bet his dad is kicking himself for that bit of advice.
you some ass on the internet says otherwise.

lol.
wow.
English would help. I don't know what you're saying.

why does that pesky constitution always get in the way of stasi police tactics.
I totally agree but policemen are people who don't always follow the rules.

I pray he recovers fully.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
English would help. I don't know what you're saying.

I totally agree but policemen are people who don't always follow the rules.

I pray he recovers fully.

you so do.

a missed comma is not the end of comprehension.

and again you have the right to know why and if you are arrested.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
Master Shake, perhaps you don't understand. You do have the right to know those things, however, you do not have the right to not follow the officers directions until you know those things. The officer will give you that information if you are being cooperative, if you are uncooperative, that changes things. The officer will put his safety first. Also unfortunately for the kid, that officer was an asshole.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Master Shake, perhaps you don't understand. You do have the right to know those things, however, you do not have the right to not follow the officers directions until you know those things. The officer will give you that information if you are being cooperative, if you are uncooperative, that changes things. The officer will put his safety first. Also unfortunately for the kid, that officer was an asshole.

the fact they tried to cover it up doesn't sway your opinion on this?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I have the right to go through a green light but I'm looking both ways to make sure somebody isn't ramming through the red light. I just think it is poor advice given by the dad.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
The fact that they tried to cover it up has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

You can complain all you want about that.

nothing that cop did was legal.

he never had a reason to pull him over.

he didn't have a reason to yank him out of his car.

he didn't have a reason to arrest him.

they didn't have shit.

now he's off to jail.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
nothing that cop did was legal.

he never had a reason to pull him over.

he didn't have a reason to yank him out of his car.

he didn't have a reason to arrest him.

they didn't have shit.

now he's off to jail.
Your whole post hinges on whether #1 is true or not. I read an article but it was vague about why the kid was pulled over, something about a warrant linked to the plate.

If the stop is lawful the officer can order the occupants out of the vehicle for ANY reason, including people who refuse to roll down their windows. This has been established by the Supreme Court.

Once the kid failed to follow commands to exit he is now committing a crime of obstruction (or that states version, I'm not fully aware of that state's laws)

Yes you have the right to know why you are stopped and if you are being arrested/detained. Where people get into these situations is they fail to understand the police are not required to tell you the WHY immediately when asked. They have to tell you, just in a reasonable time. So if his dad truly did tell him to demand why he was stopped and to refuse the officer's orders he just set his kid up to fail.

The cop was fine up until the extra long taser discharge and the face plant obviously.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
Your whole post hinges on whether #1 is true or not. I read an article but it was vague about why the kid was pulled over, something about a warrant linked to the plate.

If the stop is lawful the officer can order the occupants out of the vehicle for ANY reason, including people who refuse to roll down their windows. This has been established by the Supreme Court.

Once the kid failed to follow commands to exit he is now committing a crime of obstruction (or that states version, I'm not fully aware of that state's laws)

Yes you have the right to know why you are stopped and if you are being arrested/detained. Where people get into these situations is they fail to understand the police are not required to tell you the WHY immediately when asked. They have to tell you, just in a reasonable time. So if his dad truly did tell him to demand why he was stopped and to refuse the officer's orders he just set his kid up to fail.

The cop was fine up until the extra long taser discharge and the face plant obviously.

there was no warrant on that kids plates.

Matt peppered the FBI agents with questions during that first meeting, but he didn’t receive many answers. The agents would confirm only that there was a dashcam video of the incident. Both Matt and Stacy immediately wondered what it would show. More importantly, if there was no warrant associated with Bryce or his car, why was he stopped in the first place? By Wednesday morning, Independence police released Officer Runnels’ search warrant application, and the probable cause appeared to have changed. Runnels wrote that he “observed the vehicle to have darkly tinted windows,” and that after Bryce partially rolled down his window, he “detected an odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle.” Runnels maintained that there was a warrant associated with the license plate, but FBI agents told Matt that the plate number would have provided details for a woman, with a different car, from a different county.
Matt called the FBI agents he met on Monday. “You see what’s happening here,” Matt told them. “They’re working it backwards.” Matt’s experience as a cop taught him that officers can sometimes write themselves out of trouble through exaggerated and self-serving reports. “Whenever you see these officers come out with a use of force, whether it be a shooting or a tasering or a whatever, there are phrases that always go in those reports, that we’ve been trained to put in there,” Matt said. “And so many times that’s just like an ‘insert quote here’ in your report because that’s going to cover your ass.”
Matt saw the phrasing and knew Runnels was looking for ways to justify both the stop and the attempted arrest. Matt suspected that once it was clear the warrant association to the car wasn’t sufficient probable cause for an arrest, Runnels needed new justifications. Since smell is subjective, and difficult to prove, officers can use “marijuana odor” broadly to justify probable cause, Matt said. “Cops use that all the time.”
the dad is a cop and knows exactly what the officer was doing.

please read this.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/07...-8-minutes-now-facing-a-lifetime-of-recovery/

it wasn't a lawful stop.

Last edited:

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
A warrant for a different person hit on the plate and tinted windows. If the windows appeared to be tinted it's still a lawful stop.

The smell of Marijuana has no bearing on whether an officer can or can not order a person out of the car, so to claim the officer lied about it is pointless.

My point is playing these games with the police is a big gamble. If you're ordered out of the car and you refuse it will go two ways: 1 - you'll be forced out of the car, arrested and charged with obstruction. Your guilt will most likely be caught on video and audio and you will most likely lose your case. 2 - you'll be forced out of the car and charged with obstruction. The cop failed to have reasonable suspicion or probable cause to stop you and you win your case and receive a monetary settlement from the municipality.

The likelihood of #2 is quite slim as having PC to stop a car isn't too difficult with the numerous traffic laws.

Again, if his cop father told him to demand to know why he was stopped before complying with orders to exit the vehicle he set his son up for failure.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
reading these replies is almost comical... I just sit here thinking about all the people posting here saying how bad the cops are doing the exact same thing this kid did if they were stopped.....
and for what? to say you stood up for your rights?

cop asks you to get out of the car? just say, yes and get out of the car. Sure beats having any chance of getting tasered and dropped on your face. Like I said in a previous post, the kid intentionally escalated the situation where it had no place being...

this is a terrible outcome for everyone. a no win for anyone involved. a brain damaged kid and a cop in prison. I know some of you like the idea of a cop in prison, but I think a brain damaged kid is a fairly high price to pay for that. At the end of the day, just be polite and do what the cop asks you to do and youll have a good chance of coming on this forum and complaining about how much a d(ck the cop was for pulling you over and asking you to step out of your car.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
x26 it's in the article i posted further up the page.

the model those specs comes from in the x26c the civvy version.

So the cop had to pull the trigger repeatedly to get that long of a stun and could have stopped any of the "phases" by moving the safety switch up at any time? Am I reading that right?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
The taser did not deploy properly when the officer used it. The probes my have not made good contact - the kid didn't actually get tased until he was face down on the road and yelled. If you are being tased, you cannot get up out of your car. This is probably why the officer kept activating it. I did not count how many seconds he was actually tased.

Why would he keep trying to activate the taser after the kid was complying??? Simply to punish him or something? If what you say is true then you yourself say that he wasn't tased until he was freaking face down on the road complying with the officer. Frankly if what you say is true I think it makes the officers actions much worse as there was no reason for the kid to get tased at all and as such the cardiac arrest is totally the fault of the officers and not the kid not complying.

And finally - what do all of these officer misconduct, shooting, tasing, ect. videos have in common? On all of them, a person refused to listen or comply with the officers directions. PLEASE JUST FOLLOW THE OFFICERS DIRECTIONS FOR YOUR SAFETY AND THEIRS.

Well officers are trained to handle high stress situations and they are given a metric fuckton of authority and leniency, is it really too much to ask that they not break the law and needlessly severely injure and/or kill people? Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's just smart to follow the officers directions but this comply or die stuff is complete horseshit. The blue line is much worse though, I mean harassing the poor kid after all that he has suffered, really???

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
his dad is a cop and he did exactly what his dad told him to do.

derp derpo derp.

stop backing a losing horse....

In all due fairness, once a cop says you are under arrest it is time to start doing exactly what they say and allow them to cuff you. Then you can ask questions or you can ask questions while you are letting them cuff you. You can read my other responses to see where I stand on this situation/issue. Cop was still 100% in the wrong and went way overboard during the entire incident but I am quite sure his dad didn't tell him to not comply after a cop says you are under arrest.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
you so do.

a missed comma is not the end of comprehension.

and again you have the right to know why and if you are arrested.

I'm not positive about this but I think that an officer can cuff you before telling you why you are being arrested. For the "safety of the officer and you" or some crap. He does have the right to know if he was being detained or arrested and he got an answer to that. Again, not arguing in support of the cop just trying to have as factual of a conversation as possible and I may very well be wrong. This is simply my understanding of the law.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This thread has established 2 things fairly convincingly:
1. The cop acted in an illegal and dangerous manner
2. A person has a right to know what they are being arrested for

How the suggestion that it is generally a good idea to follow the instructions of a police officer attacks in any way #1 or #2 is beyond me.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

Why should he kick himself for giving good, legal advice based on actual LEO experience? He SHOULD be kicking the asshole who shat on his son's life.

You must think that rape victims should be busily kicking themselves for wearing that darned mini skirt.

Let me help you out: the blame goes to the asshole who is going to jail. That's it.