Dashcam Shows Cop Tasering Teen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
OK those are your points.

The tasing which was 4 times longer than necessary caused Masters to go into cardiac arrest and became unresponsive.
Dash camera video of the incident depicts Runnels handcuffing the minor after the Taser deployment and then picking him up. The video and other evidence presented at the sentencing demonstrates that Runnels then deliberately dropped the handcuffed victim face-first into the pavement.
The events show the teen's constitutional rights being violate

How is it "4 times longer than necessary"? The article is incorrect. Show me one taser with a 20 second ride. Everyone I have ever seen was 5 seconds, and you are taught to pull the trigger again for 5 more seconds, repeated until no longer needed. You are taught to handcuff after tasing (while they're still being tased) or after they're shot. It always amazes me when someone complains that someone is handcuffed.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
How is it "4 times longer than necessary"? The article is incorrect. Show me one taser with a 20 second ride. Everyone I have ever seen was 5 seconds, and you are taught to pull the trigger again for 5 more seconds, repeated until no longer needed. You are taught to handcuff after tasing (while they're still being tased) or after they're shot. It always amazes me when someone complains that someone is handcuffed.

I do not know the type taser he use.
It caused Masters to go into cardiac arrest.
The duration should have been mentioned in the trial.

Do you know the make and model???????

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I do not know the type taser he use.
It caused Masters to go into cardiac arrest.
The duration should have been mentioned in the trial.

Do you know the make and model???????

Nope, you quoted the article that stated it was 4 times longer 'officers are supposed to keep the electricity running' being at 20 seconds. They offered zero proof for that statements. When I think they are wrong. Burden is not on me, but your article and you. I would bet everything I own that the officer did not have a taser than ran for 20 seconds continuously. Or that their department's policy was that you could only use the taser once for the 5 second time. People trained on tasers who are trying to subdue someone, from what I have seen are taught to use it again after the first time if the desired response is not given. Then again and again if necessary. If the person thinks it will not work, then switch to something else. That is why they carry more than one less than lethal option. And the old rule 'nothing works 100% of the time'. Some people are much less affected by spray, taser, etc. It depends on where the probes are, clothing, etc. Drive stunning is an option as well.

I just pointed out an error in their article, you using it to back up your argument, and why people are often times cuffed after tasing or a shooting.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
It's not my argument.
And where is the error?????

I have to stand by what article says.

Court filings also say the government proved that Runnels deployed his taser, hitting Masters in the chest and allowing the current to run for about 20 seconds, which is four-times longer than officers are trained to have their tasers deployed.
During a sentencing hearing the government provided evidence that Runnels deployed his Taser into the minor’s chest during a traffic stop and then caused the electric current to run for approximately 20 seconds, four times longer than officers are trained to deploy a Taser.
If you have something that says otherwise please post it.

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012

http://www.stun-gun-defense-products.com/buy-stun-gun/downloads/TASER-X26c-specs.pdf

1. Output characteristics
:
Wave form: Complex shaped pulse
Pulse rate: 17 pulses per second (PPS) for 2 seconds, 10 PPS thereafter
for up to 30 seconds total
Pulse duration: 100 microseconds
The trigger activates a 10-second cycle. Second and third pull increments
the cycle 10 seconds each up to 30 seconds total. The cycle can be
stopped by placing the safety lever in the safe position.

too easy.

and that's not the cop one either.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
From the get go you can hear and see that cop is fucking incensed that kid is asking the right questions.

I think the kid was justified in being scared, and that cop set the tone for the encounter. 4 years? That sounds a little light to me.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Nope, you quoted the article that stated it was 4 times longer 'officers are supposed to keep the electricity running' being at 20 seconds. They offered zero proof for that statements.

It's evidently department policy, not a law. But maybe the critics are correct, after 5 seconds of continued non-compliance he should have moved to another method like billy club to the head. Continuing to resist for long enough to force the officer to switch weapons would have really been standing up against authority and shown that pig exactly who's boss. Plus he'll have the satisfaction of knowing that his Rosa Parks like stand will be rewarded with a 4 year sentence for the officer, way to go!

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
It's evidently department policy, not a law. But maybe the critics are correct, after 5 seconds of continued non-compliance he should have moved to another method like billy club to the head. Continuing to resist for long enough to force the officer to switch weapons would have really been standing up against authority and shown that pig exactly who's boss. Plus he'll have the satisfaction of knowing that his Rosa Parks like stand will be rewarded with a 4 year sentence for the officer, way to go!

Or you know, not be a vicious piece of shit. Too much to ask though, he is a cop, and they are often worthless people.

Hopefully he'll die in jail though.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Watch from here to the end of the video and tell me that it was justified by anything that preceded it. That fucker earned all 4 of those years on his own.

Not to mention the kid has fucking brain damage now. I'm pretty not sure he's celebrating.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
if you're ever wondering what happened to the bullies at school just check the roster of your local PD.

i'm sure they'll be there.

Nov 25, 2013

Love the jackboots. Nice and shiny.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Why we give authoritarian average intelligence people such power is beyond me.

GREAT observation. The answer is probably something along the lines of: "because smart people wont' pull the same shit that average intelligence authoritarian people will and therefore won't generate the same revenue." It's all about money.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Fuck that kid. You want to be a smart ass and start shit with a cop, there is your lesson. I'm sure this bitch pulls the same shit with school authorities. It didn't have to go down like that, but the little bitch wanted to be a smart ass. I'd prefer cops take it up a notch actually. You're too stupid to act civil during a standard stop, you deserve all that's coming to you. This shithead was just parroting off what he saw on YouTube (roll window down slightly, ask a bunch of stupid questions). Well, he played a game and lost. F him.

I love how most dipshits try to paint a picture that cops are going around tazing and shooting people randomly when they are just walking home from church. You get pulled over, I suggest you act civil, and comply with basic instructions. Roll the window down, give DL and proof of insurance. Done. You can't do that without some bullshit attitude, maybe you shouldn't be walking around in the first place.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I wonder...

It's offensichtlich Abteilung Politik, kein Gesetz. Aber vielleicht die Kritiker richtig sind, nach 5 Sekunden der anhaltenden Nichtkonformität hätte er nach einer anderen Methode wie Billy Club auf den Kopf. Weiter zu widerstehen, lange genug, um zu erzwingen, dass der Offizier die Waffen zu wechseln hätte wirklich schon aufstehen gegen Autorität und gezeigt, dass Schweine genau wer's Chef.

Yup, it sounds better in German.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Fuck that kid. You want to be a smart ass and start shit with a cop, there is your lesson. I'm sure this bitch pulls the same shit with school authorities. It didn't have to go down like that, but the little bitch wanted to be a smart ass. I'd prefer cops take it up a notch actually. You're too stupid to act civil during a standard stop, you deserve all that's coming to you. This shithead was just parroting off what he saw on YouTube (roll window down slightly, ask a bunch of stupid questions). Well, he played a game and lost. F him.

I love how most dipshits try to paint a picture that cops are going around tazing and shooting people randomly when they are just walking home from church. You get pulled over, I suggest you act civil, and comply with basic instructions. Roll the window down, give DL and proof of insurance. Done. You can't do that without some bullshit attitude, maybe you shouldn't be walking around in the first place.

The cop earned a 4 year prison sentence, how much more do you want them to "take it up"?

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002

I agree with the majority of this. want to take a stand against a wrong full citation, go to court over it. Refusing to comply at the scene just increases the chance of violence for everyone involved. This doesn't excuse the cop at all, but the kid in simple terms escalated the situation to a place it had no business being in the first place. At the end of the day we have a kid with brain damage and a cop in prison. sounds like a win win for everyone involved

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
The cop earned a 4 year prison sentence, how much more do you want them to "take it up"?

That was only after the Feds got involved. Cases like this many times never make national news so the local police/DA are the only ones to look at it. In this case they cleared their own.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I just pointed out an error in their article, you using it to back up your argument, and why people are often times cuffed after tasing or a shooting.

No problem at all with him being cuffed after being tased, that's a rather reasonable policy. If you have to use your taser on someone then by definition they are not being compliant so handcuffing them is a precaution that protects both the officer and the civilian.

Show me one policy in which it stats that it is ok to drag a handcuffed person, who is seemingly unresponsive at the time, by their arms to that their head is roughly at the officers waist and then toss him face first into the concrete.

The officer didn't just let go as if he dropped him. He gave the kid a little toss straight into the concrete. I don't want anyway to say "throw" because the other side will jump all over it but, and we can't "know" that this was his intent, he ensured that the kids face would impact the concrete with absolutely zero way to protect himself. That is exactly how I would drop a roll of roofing material or shingles on a roof not a freaking human being ever and damn sure not one with no way to protect themselves while also seemingly being unresponsive. I'll even give the officer the benefit of the doubt on the unresponsive part seeing how stubborn the kid was being. And damn, you can hear the thud when the kid hits and he immediately starts moaning, video doesn't run much longer but I personally would have immediately been "oh fuck are you ok" whereas the officer just drags the kid towards him and goes on like everything is normal. I get that he still has to check the kid for weapons and stuff but is a little human decency, even when dealing with asshole and stubborn kids like this, really too much to ask?

I will say it again, what is truly fucked up is that this officer was found guilty only because he failed to drag the kid a few extra steps. I will bet a weeks pay that around the country other officers are looking at this and saying "this is why you make sure that you walk out of frame before you do stuff like this" more than "don't do fucked up shit like this".

I would also love to know the exact reasons why the locals thought this behavior was A-ok. There has to be a report somewhere about their investigation, is it public or can it be made public? I am assuming that when they investigate the actions of an officer that they list the reasons why his actions are within policy, law and basic human decency. Ok, maybe I'm asking a lot on the last one but at least the first two.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

It appears to me that the cop juiced the kid again basically as soon as he got on the ground. The kid screamed and the cop even said "told ya" and at that exact point in time and the few seconds preceding the kid was being compliant.

Not to mention that it's really fucking hard to get out of a car while in the process of being tased, it kinda goes against every selling point the taser has. I didn't count the seconds, wasn't long before deployment and kid exiting the car though, but if the cop tasered the kid for 20 seconds in the car that is still way overboard. I saw zero resistance once the kid got out of the car and immediately got on the ground to warrant further juicing the kid up.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Hopefully he'll die in jail though.

Cops get special treatment even in jail, while I don't wish him death, rape or other harm while he is in jail as that is not what civilized countries should allow to happen to their inmates, he won't see general pop or go to "big boy jail". Besides, won't he be going to Federal prison since the Feds prosecuted him after the locals said he did nothing wrong?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Well he went into cardiac arrest and suffered brain damage as a result to this "toned down" encounter. The only way that I can see to make it worse is for the cop just to immediately shoot the kid in the head and call it a day.

Is that what you want our cops to have the authority to do? Summery executions on the side of the road whenever they feel you aren't being respectful enough or follow their exact instructions during a high stress event fast enough?

When a cop decides to not act civil, despite everyone else being civil, should the public be able to do the same to him/her?

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012

this.

how dare he try to use his constitutional rights.

fuck that guy.

/s

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
this.

how dare he try to use his constitutional rights.

fuck that guy.

/s

Complying with the lawful orders of a police officer makes you safer, speeds up the encounter, makes you more likely to get a warning or cited for a lesser traffic offense, and is just the polite thing to do. Or you can act like this guy and use your constitutional rights to annoy a cop just to be a dickhead. Nothing will excuse police brutality but you are fucking moron if you do things to provoke it in someone inclined to use it.