Dandruff

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Just scratch it all off after you wash your head. 5-10 minutes of scratching, no more dandruff for a few days :)

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Damn, I went from none to WTF now that I am in my mid 30's. I gotta do something about it too :(

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
be sure you are leaving the medicated shampoo on your scalp for about 5 minutes, not just apply and rinse

Proletariat

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
why dont bald men get dandruff?
I really think its the fact that bald men get more sun on their heads. Sun is very healthy for your entire body. I think going out and being active really curtails the dandruff problem. Just personal experience though. I have a bit of a problem in the winter but if I go out and just f!ck around a bit every day it seems fine.

dandruff

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Proletariat
Originally posted by: Citrix
why dont bald men get dandruff?
I really think its the fact that bald men get more sun on their heads. Sun is very healthy for your entire body. I think going out and being active really curtails the dandruff problem. Just personal experience though. I have a bit of a problem in the winter but if I go out and just f!ck around a bit every day it seems fine.

If I stay in the sun for more than 10 minutes the itching is unbearable ... I am not bald tho.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: dandruff
:Q:D

I don't have dandruff per se (and YES EVERYBODY, IT'S NOT "PERSAY")
but I do take long hot showers and use gel. I find that using Redken Solve on weekends seems to keep things under control.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Use Neutrogena T-Gel Extra Strength. I used Head and Shoulders and some other stuff, but that never worked. Its about 8-9 bucks a bottle. Make sure you massage it into your head and leave it in for 5 minutes.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: Brackis
Originally posted by: shenaniganz
Originally posted by: FoBoT
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4993.html

Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo Product Details*

Features:
# Controls the symptoms of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis
# Reduces hyperkeratotic build-up (scaling and crusting)
# Provides added conditioning
# With neutar solubilized coal extract

That stuff stinks, but it works.

I actually have used some sample sized bottle of this (smells like shoe polish?) and it didn't seem to help :(

I had to use my stuff for awhile before it really started to work. I only bought it because they were out of the regular kind.

can you use regular shampoo right after using it to get rid of the smell? I always get dandruff in the winter time also.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: JoeKing
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: Brackis
Originally posted by: shenaniganz
Originally posted by: FoBoT
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4993.html

Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo Product Details*

Features:
# Controls the symptoms of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis
# Reduces hyperkeratotic build-up (scaling and crusting)
# Provides added conditioning
# With neutar solubilized coal extract

That stuff stinks, but it works.

I actually have used some sample sized bottle of this (smells like shoe polish?) and it didn't seem to help :(

I had to use my stuff for awhile before it really started to work. I only bought it because they were out of the regular kind.

can you use regular shampoo right after using it to get rid of the smell? I always get dandruff in the winter time also.

use conditioner afterwards.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I never get dandruff but I do get an itchy scalp every now and then. I use a dandruff shampoo once a week and I style with a little leave in conditioner instead of hair spray or gel. I've never had flakes though thankfully.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
If all else fails, see a dermatologist and get advice from someone more knowledgeable than a bunch of anonymous internet teenagers. :)

morkinva

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I've found that the cheapest Sauve dry scalp shampoo works best for me, CVS sells it for less than $2 a bottle.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
If all else fails, see a dermatologist and get advice from someone more knowledgeable than a bunch of anonymous internet teenagers. :)

but internet teenagers are the one with the most experience concerning such situations. And acne too! :D

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
have you seen a dematologist? You also need to make sure that you are drinking enough water. That should help with the dryness.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
have you seen a dematologist? You also need to make sure that you are drinking enough water. That should help with the dryness.

Bingo! My brother doesn't drink much water and he gets dry skin.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I used to have *really* bad dandruff. I can't remember how many doctors I forced my mother to take me to cause it was driving me crazy... I've tried all kinds of different shampoos, conditioners, medications, etc., for dandruff, dry scalp, etc. I had tried just about every shampoo available on the market, for dandruff and just about every treatment.

And I happened to stay with my grandmother for a couple of weeks... one day I noticed that my dandruff was virtually gone. I went and looked at the shampoo... "Head & Shoulders, Dandruff (something-or-another)". I later found out that I had never tried Head & Shoulders... had tried *hundreds* of other things... arg.

And still now, if I stop using H&S for more than a couple of weeks... it starts to come back :-\

Aug 27, 2002
H&S works, I had the same problem until I found out that you have to lather your head, and let it soak with shampoo while you finish scrubbin everything else (let it soak ~10-15min.) then rinse out the shampoo. It also helps when I moved to a town that has softer water than the limestone quarry water I grew up with.

i have to alternate...not sure why

the loop is H&S, Garnier dandruff shampoo, Selson Blue, and Suave dandruff shampoo

each will work for about 3/4 of the bottle

I also have REALLLLY thick hair (everytime i get my hair cut, the person doing is tells me its the thickest they've ever seen)