Dandruff

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
Alright I've had Dandruff since I was about 15, and recently I have just come to despise it with incredible passion and anathema. Dandruff shampoos from the store do zero, and in fact, washing my head causes more dandruff.
Are there prescriptions, or non topical treatments for Dandruff that actually STOP it? 8 months of the year I can bear it, but the winters are just too damn cold and dry.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
FWIW I've had great success with denorex (I think that's it). You use it every day at first and after a week every few days. For me it's really cured my dandruff, and I've not had it in years now.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You can get special shampoo that should help, the medicated stuff, not crap like Head and Shoulders, but special shampoos for dermatitis, I have used them in the past, I have it mildly, almost can't tell 90% of the time, but I still have it :p

Oct 9, 1999
i have a small patch of dry skin on the back left side of my head. it comes and goes. hot oil treatments don't really help either. i'll give that stuff a try that skoorb mentioned. can you buy it at walmart?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
There is dandruff, and there is dry scalp. Dandruff shampoos do nothing for dry scalp and dry scalp shampoos do nothing for dandruff.

It sounds like you have dry scalp. Try Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care shampoo and the separate Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care conditioner. Plus you have to wash it at least 3 times a week with that shampoo and conditioner. When you do so, leave them both on your scalp for several minutes before rinsing. Simply appling medicine and rinsing it off immediately won't give it a chance to do any work. Make certain that you rub it into your scalp (that is the source of the problem, not the hair).

Don't over wash your hair - that can irritate it. IE don't shower 2 times a day and wash your hair each time. Don't use other shampoos.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I used H&S intensive care? Its like regular head and shoulders but it comes in a navy blue bottle. It is a godsend. Its orange, smells weird but doesn't irritate my skin and ACTUALLY WORKS for me.

Without it I got bad dandruff on my scalp, and even got dandruff on my face around my nose and forehead. I actually wash my head and face with the stuff and it all but eliminates the problem entirely. I used to get redness (roscea sp?) as well (I am accursed with a bizarre amount of skin problems) and my dermatologist perscribed like 5 different horribly expensive creams that only sort of helped the problem. When I started washing my face with the shampoo, they all went away. A $2.95 bottle of shampoo solved the problems over a $150 of perscription creams could not.

God bless head and shoulders intensive care.

knyghtbyte

Oct 20, 2004
a polytar shampoo is good for it, but doesnt smell the greatest afterwards....lol

one thing that can help a bit is drink lots and lots of water every day (as in around 5-6litres of pure water on top of your normal drinks and food), if your dandruff is just dry skin rather than an actual clinical problem then the water moistens things up and could alleviate the problem a bit.......

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
Originally posted by: shenaniganz
Originally posted by: FoBoT
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4993.html

Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo Product Details*

Features:
# Controls the symptoms of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis
# Reduces hyperkeratotic build-up (scaling and crusting)
# Provides added conditioning
# With neutar solubilized coal extract

That stuff stinks, but it works.

I actually have used some sample sized bottle of this (smells like shoe polish?) and it didn't seem to help :(

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Can the overuse of hair gel cause flakes? I've been using gel in my hair for YEARS now and have always noticed that later in the day when it is rubbed off on pillows or whatnot, it causes flakiness. Recently (winter season), even without hair gel, I've noticed from flakes in my hair.

I've been using Neutrogena T-Gel everyday for a couple of weeks now. Have not noticed a difference.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Brackis
Originally posted by: shenaniganz
Originally posted by: FoBoT
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4993.html

Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo Product Details*

Features:
# Controls the symptoms of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis
# Reduces hyperkeratotic build-up (scaling and crusting)
# Provides added conditioning
# With neutar solubilized coal extract

That stuff stinks, but it works.

I actually have used some sample sized bottle of this (smells like shoe polish?) and it didn't seem to help :(

I had to use my stuff for awhile before it really started to work. I only bought it because they were out of the regular kind.

chris7b

Nov 11, 2003
I agree with the water. Its important to stay hydrated if you're susceptible to dry skin. Ive noticed that whenever i stop drinking water, my dandruff returns. Umm...i think 5-6 liters is over kill...way over kill. Thats about 200oz....only and elephant needs that much water...hehe. For an average male 2-3 liters is more than adequate.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Try this for one month - alternate the following four shampoos so that you use them one at a time, one each day, in the same order so you can keep track: Denorex, Selsun Blue, Neutrogena T-Gel, and Nizoral. The Nizoral is key, because many, if not most, people with dandruff are actually having an allergic reaction to the yeasts that are living on the scalp, and the active ingredient in Nizoral is antifungal. Go see a dermatologist if this doesn't help you, you could have something like psoriasis that really requires a topical steroid.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
Nizoral works well. Its pricey, but you'll only use a little bit once or twice a week. It lasts forever.
Selson Blue and H&S don't do much for me.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
Try this for one month - alternate the following four shampoos so that you use them one at a time, one each day, in the same order so you can keep track: Denorex, Selsun Blue, Neutrogena T-Gel, and Nizoral. The Nizoral is key, because many, if not most, people with dandruff are actually having an allergic reaction to the yeasts that are living on the scalp, and the active ingredient in Nizoral is antifungal. Go see a dermatologist if this doesn't help you, you could have something like psoriasis that really requires a topical steroid.

Why would you alternate 10 shampoos...assuming one of them was powerful enough to do its magic when used once a week you'd have no idea which one did it. Unless you're trying for the AIDS cocktail style treatment, which doesn't seem like a likely solution. Who the hell wants 25 bottles of shampoo in their shower anyway.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: Bryophyte

Why would you alternate 10 shampoos...assuming one of them was powerful enough to do its magic when used once a week you'd have no idea which one did it. Unless you're trying for the AIDS cocktail style treatment, which doesn't seem like a likely solution. Who the hell wants 25 bottles of shampoo in their shower anyway.

RIF, d1ckwad. That's four shampoos, not ten or twenty five. Three also works (omit the Denorex). If someone has a problem with dandruff that has them asking for help on a messageboard, it's probably really bothering them. Would probably be worth their time to have three or four bottles in the shower if they wanted to get rid of the symptoms. Each shampoo is designed to be used twice a week. They each act in different ways. A dermatologist told me that they can be alternated like that to control symptoms when they're out of control (I have psoriasis, so I've actually talked to dermatologists about this stuff.) When the symptoms get back under control, you can cut back on the medicated stuff.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
People w/ dandruff should just shave their head and wrap it in a turban.