Damnit! I hate f*ing up 1st dates!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, it was my first date that sucked. It was more like my 5th. Oh boy was it horrible. Never ever ever ever, run a stop sign when you are trying to change cds. It does not work good on a date.

Mill

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
"If I didn't find her attractive, then why would I ask her out?"

uhm.....oh well, I'm just not the kind of guy who'd go out with a girl with the sole intention of getting sex afterwards. actually, I'd find it kinda peculiar if she asked me to shag her right when we were done with dinner/movies/whatever-we-were-doing.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was talking to a girl one time and I told her "I have to go, my Eel just popped out!" Needless to say she was a bit surprised. Of course I was serious, I had a saltwater fish tank then, I had left the top up after just feeding the fish and my Black Edge moray eel jumped right out of the tank and onto the floor. I don't think she thought I was talking about a fish. ;)

nEoTeChMaN

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I asked Missus to come to my house and I made her dinner which women dig that. well...The rest was history. ;)

Do something extra special for your woman. I'm sure she was nervous too and I'm sure she wanted to say something too. It is only natural.

As long she knows that you are interesting in her...you'll be ok. ;)

nEo

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Yet another reminder that I'm glad I missed out on the dating crap. Apparently I didn't miss much. However... In spite of me never having been on an official "date," I already have a damned good idea who I'm going to be marrying in a few years. How did I manage that without dating? Easy. By being her friend. It's amazing how far you can get with someone when you're their best friend. When you can talk about anything, everything, or nothing at all. And the best part is, once you get that close to someone... you're going to think they're beautiful. Not that most people wouldn't agree with that anyway, but nobody else knows her like I do. And that's the general goal, isn't it? Marrying your best friend.

Viper GTS

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
I've never gone on dates either, but that doesnt stop one getting with some girl down the pub, at the the club or at some party. Then if things go hunky dory, things might be taken further.

Really dating's just not the Aussie thing.

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Viper GTS--Yes, it's good it worked out that way for you. But for me, good friends for some reason just remain good friends. Prolly because I always back off. But dating can be fun. You get to "try out" a lot of different people of the opposite sex.

Stefan--I think Batch said it best. My good dates and girlfriends always started out with conversations, sometimes into the wee hours--even to the point of forgetting how late it was. If you really want to give it another shot, ICQ or call her, tell her you know how really goofy it must have been for her and you were nervous and you wonder if she would like to just talk on the phone a few times to get to know each other.

Since you've seen each other, there won't be any wrong mental pictures. Now you just have to see if you can connect via interests, lifestyles, etc. If you end up on the phone, talking for hours, it'd be a good bet a date would work.
--Randy

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Phone calls are good, says my $250-300/month phone bill... And that's at $0.07/minute! :Q

Seriously, though, the phone is a decent way to get to know someone. It's much more personal than any e-mail or IM, but it's not quite as high-pressure as a face-to-face meeting. On my 3 days off from work, I typically spend anywhere from two to four hours on the phone. Plus one to two hours a day on my work days. My record's seven hours in one day, 4 hours in one phone call. Needless to say we've talked about virtually everything. And no, those hours were not spent having phone sex. Although, I'm sure you could do that if you wanted to...

;)

Viper GTS

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Oh jesus stephan - what I'd say is call her ass back and say something like "Hey, I had a good time tonight blah blah, but I was something or rather" - uh what i mean is make up an excuse (not a lame one) about maybe you were preoccupied and you appologize for it, but your job has been giving you hell or something like that and u didn't want to whine about it to her.

Just talk when you're on a date, try and say anything - and whoever said ask her about her below hit it on the nail. She must have been talking a bit right...? You didn't reply to those? Anytime she says something just either make a comment on it or press for more detail. Makes it look like you care about more than just putting those panties to the ground, BOOYAH!

Brooks

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
oh and Viper

Damn, man. If you didn't spend so much money on the phone you'd have the cash for insurance on your sports car! :)

Tell her to get a comp and do that icq netmeeting stuff...

Brooks

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
PCAddict: and anyone else for that matter - NEVER go out with someone your MOM AND AUNT picked out!!! Arrrrggghhh!!!! NO WAY!!! LOL!!!

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
prodigy -> Where in my quote did I say that I was only hoping for sex? I said why go out with someone you don't find attractive? Think about the question a minute. Hint - there's lots of things that go into making someone attractive, looks only being part.

I will admit that looks do play a strong part in it for me but I'm not going to apologize for that. I probably should say "did" play a part in it for me since I'm married.

WW - You just didn't hit it off with a guy good enough until you were in college. Shows that you have taste and high standards <grin>.

Michael

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
'Initiating the conversation is half the battle'. 'Keeping the conversation going is the other half'.

Don't sweet the blown first date, just chalk it up to experience.

Remember, 'What does not kill you, makes you stronger' ;)

Cheers,
Aquaman

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Viper GTS, one of these days you're gonna end up having to get that phone surgically removed from your ear.....:Q -kd5-

Zeph

Mar 16, 2000
To break the ice and start conversation just say something like uhh..

&quot;So..what'ya think, Gliadiac or Voodoo5?&quot;

oh no, nevermind....

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
PCAddict: and anyone else for that matter - NEVER go out with someone your MOM AND AUNT picked out!!! Arrrrggghhh!!!! NO WAY!!! LOL!!!

KDOG: I know that now. But, what I left out was that when I did see her at the family wedding, she did look hot, and I did dance with her, and I was drunk off my a$$ and she still liked me and thought I was funny. So, I thought she was worth a shot since she could handle &quot;The Dark Side&quot; :)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
When I was 17 I would go out with ANYONE who was available. Dead, dumb, or ugly, it didn't matter. I had so few dates you'd have thought I was from Mars. Socially backward comes to mind. By the time I got to college, things changed quite a bit-they had to be alive! :p Don't worry about it kid, you'll be up to your eyeballs in woman trouble before you know it.

Take your time and date as many different types of people as possible. After 5 or 6 six years, you'll have a much better idea how to spell Ms. Right.

jyrixx

May 31, 2000
i'm 18, and well, i've been on a FEW dates.. maybe 4 or 5.. just start talking to her.. don't show nervousness, and do funny stuff, but not gross stuff... that should work.... hmm... come to think of it.. maybe that's why i've been on only 4 or 5...

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
chess9: << After 5 or 6 six years, you'll have a much better idea how to spell Ms. Right. >>

I agree, chess9. Because he'll be sure to see if her first name is Always. ;)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Kranky: He'll learn about that Ms. Right soon enough! :p But very funny. :) At his age let's hope Ms. Wright doesn't put the SPELL on him.