Damn.. Gas prices are shooting through the roof. Updated 4/05/03 - Down 7¢ in the last 2 weeks

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, it was 1.57 when I filled up the day before yesterday. Fortunately, I can go about 350-400 miles on a tank (8 gallons), so I usually only fill up once a month. That's $12.56/mo. Not bad.

geekender

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
Diesel is actually available at almost every station around here. It is used by most of your Electical Membership trucks, large trucks from factories, etc. Diesel has a fuel filter that also separates water from the fuel, so it seems more likely that you would have a bad tank of gas than diesel. Where did that statement come from anyway?

Mod the air filter? No...why do I need to?

That's the first I have heard of Freds, I will have to check that out.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: geekender
Diesel is actually available at almost every station around here. It is used by most of your Electical Membership trucks, large trucks from factories, etc. Diesel has a fuel filter that also separates water from the fuel, so it seems more likely that you would have a bad tank of gas than diesel. Where did that statement come from anyway?

Mod the air filter? No...why do I need to?

That's the first I have heard of Freds, I will have to check that out.

I drove accross the country about a half a year ago in a diesel rent a truck. We were pulling a tow dollie w/a car on it. A few times we got bad diesel and the truck would not pull as well. Ppl talk about bad fuel on Fred's forums too, it is a pretty common issue for diesel drivers.

The air filter thing is a very popular mod, it is a K&N cone shaped filter. Check out Fred's.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
edit: Oh well might as well try: Is all SUV useage wasteful?
Come on I know you know what point he was trying to make - which is specifically many people have large vehicles they don't need. A mom and her son don't need an H2 to drive to the grocery. Those who need SUVs will continue to buy them even if gas prices go higher. Those who don't need them will begin to think about using more economical vehicles.

The people that can afford a 50k plus H2 don't care about the gas milage unless it gets obscene. Five or ten extra bucks at the pump isn't going to faze them.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
That isn't what he said, that's why I asked the question. The quote was "yeah $5 a gallon in europe keeps them from driving wasteful SUVs". I don't like the proliferation of SUV's that much either. But making blanket statements like he did are foolish. Some people get a lot of usage out of their SUV's and shouldn't be ridiculed along with the "soccer mom" stereotype.

I have a question about diesel engines. They get good gas mileage, but don't they also produce more pollution than gas engines? If this is true, I wonder how the hybrid's using diesel engines stack up against normal gas engines (same car type of course) as far as mileage per gallon and pollution produced. At what point does diesel technology become more environment friendly than gas engines while also maintaining it's mileage crown? I've never been able to find this answer. TIA.

edit: Oh well might as well try: Is all SUV useage wasteful?
Come on I know you know what point he was trying to make - which is specifically many people have large vehicles they don't need. A mom and her son don't need an H2 to drive to the grocery. Those who need SUVs will continue to buy them even if gas prices go higher. Those who don't need them will begin to think about using more economical vehicles.

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
Wow I just got owned by one of the more inexpensive 76 station in my area. $1.81 per gallon for the 89 unlead. I need to drive more economical now. No more passing cars at 90mph.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's 2.05 for premium (which I get for the Max) here in Mountain View, CA.
Which is good, cus I've been biking to work all last week, and keep on doing the same :D
I gotta lose some more weight

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
Bleh had to fill up tonight. $2.13/gal for premium (91 octane) down here in San Jose. $1.93 just for 87 octane. :(

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
I wish they'd go higher. The general populous and manufacturers needs a real motivation to make more energy efficient vehicles. Based on numbers in other wealthy nations like Europe even at $2/gallon gas would be a steal. Sure it hurts my wallet a bit, but this obsession with massive gas guzzling vehicles is out of control and the only force on the planet that can stop it is money. My maxima requires premium and gets 21/26 (most of its driving is on the highway though) and the Sentra gets around 28/34 or something and takes 87. Unless gas prices skyrocket in short order up to $2.50-3 or more I see no reason for anybody to complain unless they're already driving a vehicle that makes practical sense (read: If you're driving an SUV and get 16 mpg don't complain because it's your own fault and a fact of life that a finite resource will become more expensive as it is consumed and time goes on).

---

Of course higher gas will hurt the economy in the short term, so the above is really me playing devil's advocate to an extent.

AMEN! I really hope people open their eyes more...not their wallets...

I would consider the civic hybrid if the price differential was not so great between the conventional & the hybrid (something like $10K up here). I have a friend who has a Golf TDI and he gets super great mileage but I don't know if I could handle something with 90 horses

I drive a Geo Metro..it has only 55hp 3 cylinder motor...I find it good for everyday driving but wish I had the 4 cylinder sometimes for that extra 10-15hp. I have to say that having a low hp output doesn't bother me that much. Considering my motor is running with a bad EGR valvue and I need an alignment...I think I am doing good at 31mpg minimum in city very hard driving *I deliver pizza*.

ROFL you said it. Most of the people I know have pricey cars and I was telling them how a fillup on the sentra is $13 or so (gas was a tad cheaper some months ago) and they were jealous.
I paid the most ever for gas last time I filled up...I spent $13!!! People are like..."thats all you spend?!?!?!" "I'm like yeah..don't drive that friggin trash truck that doesn't run right...get a small car!" ;-)

joozy

Jan 4, 2002
cost me 40 bucks to fill up my z71 silverado

:/

but hey

its gets chicks.. so it all works out in the end.

plus i drive my truck hard

towing loads etc

takes a hit when driving in 4x4... but hey.. i love my truck and it loves me.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
ooooh u poor guys are the SUVs sucking it

btw I payed $4.16/gal. last time I got gas

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: crabbyman
I paid the most ever for gas last time I filled up...I spent $13!!! People are like..."thats all you spend?!?!?!" "I'm like yeah..don't drive that friggin trash truck that doesn't run right...get a small car!" ;-)

Heh, yeah, I love the $10-$12 fill up. Soon, it could be $15! How will I live?!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: KGB
NY:

1.90 93 octane
2.00 94 octane

NJ:

1.67 93 octane
1.75 94 octane

I need to MOOOOVE.. or owrk in NJ and fill up before I retrun to NY.

I paid 1.64 for Mobil super yesterday. Oh yeah, I live in NJ.

blackhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 1, 2000
Jumped way up up here to. Was low 70's per liter and now low 80's.

Big oil claims 'war anticipation', last month it was Venezuela strikes, next week ?

Guaranteed that there'll be another reason to raise the rates and up here the federal taxes are a percentage of price so the gov't makes more when prices climb too.

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: crabbyman

Heh, yeah, I love the $10-$12 fill up. Soon, it could be $15! How will I live?!

Yeah..filled up today..it took .............$14!!!! OMG!

haha

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: blackhawk
Jumped way up up here to. Was low 70's per liter and now low 80's.

Big oil claims 'war anticipation', last month it was Venezuela strikes, next week ?

Guaranteed that there'll be another reason to raise the rates and up here the federal taxes are a percentage of price so the gov't makes more when prices climb too.

Next week is here.

Nigeria faces crippling oil strike
"Nigeria's main oil workers' union has announced an indefinite strike that could cripple the country's crude oil exports.

Nigeria is the world's seventh largest oil exporter and such a strike is likely to push prices higher in the international marketplace.

On Friday in New York the price of US crude oil reached its highest level for nearly two and a half years. It was up 44 cents at $36.80 a barrel
US fuel reserves are already at record lows because its imports have been affected by a two-month long strike in Venezuela.
"

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, this thread is still around. :p

In my first post, it was $1.44. That was 2/03. It had already gone up .17 cents at that point.

It's $1.57 now for Regular at the Chevron here on 82nd. It's the cheapest place around, I've seen it for as much as $1.65. :Q Premium is around 1.85 - 1.95.

I wonder how much higher it's going to go. 30 cents in 3 weeks is pretty extreme...

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix
filled up today at a Phillips 66 in Boulder Colorado.

$1.70 85 octane.

85 Octane???

Are you sure? 85 is very low. Even lawnmowers don't recomend below 86. :p

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Eli

$1.70 85 octane.

85 Octane???

In high altitudes 85 octane is recomended and used.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli

$1.70 85 octane.

85 Octane???

Yes quite positive.

Octane levels in colorado. 85, 87, 90.