Damn BestBuy couldn't get my TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: rayray2
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: dlock13
I wish I could find another 32" for $480. I got to BB and CC when they just finished handing out the tickets for the TVs, then I got to Home Depot, and I saw the last two being sold. :(

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications...etails.asp?EdpNo=2191145&Sku=S452-3212

no tuner :(

You'll need a tuner anyway from your cable provider to watch HD content. I don't see what the big deal is.

If i lived close enough, i would get the locals for free in HD and cancel my cable :)

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
try your local craigslist. many ppl at FW reported that they don't want the MAG 32-inch LCD HDTV (same as proview) for $500. im sure scalpers are willing to sell these sub-$600 including tax.

Midlander

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2002
Originally posted by: spacejamz
why are you 'damning' Best Buy? What exactly did they do wrong here?:confused:

This is a good question. It could have been asked in several threads in the past few days.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: BustaBust
SpaceJamz....well for one every employee gave me a different answer when asked a question.

it would be kind of hard for us to know that if you did not mention that in the OP, dont ya think? ;)

BustaBust

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
Oh crap Chucky......... I got tired of looking around and bought it.
What's wrong with the TV beside 480 flicker problem?

I'm tired of all of these stores. I bought a TV for my brother from CC online at 5AM and it kept giving me cart issues. Then, it started to work but charged me a rediculous shipping amount when it clearly said FREE so I had to keep clearing it and it finally worked. Last by 7AM that same TV jumped up $540. I finally said fvck it and ordered the 37'' from NewEgg and even NewEgg made mistakes. How is Express saver going to cost $1XX more than 3 day? I chose 3 day and it still overcharged me $6 :roll:

Wow the Panasonic 42'' Plasma (px60u) jumped up a few hundred as well

BustaBust

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
There isn't anything bad about the TV linked by RossMan.
The issue that Chucky is talking about applies to ATI processors, this one
uses MTK.

480i/p flicker doesn't seem to be an issue on MTK,HQV, and PixelWorks (not so sure)

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
OP, go back and buy the tv again, it's on sale for $1199. get the direct tv reciever + install, they will take $600 off the tv. Then return the direcTV reciever and return the install. Voila, tv for $699. There's a huge thread at FW on this

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I just pondered the same question. I decided to wait for 1080ps to come down in price and get an HDTV for my bedroom. It's not an ideal solution but at least I enjoy watching TV in the bedroom again. Before I had a 15 year old 20" JVC TV with only coax inputs. Now I have a Samsung 32" LCD (only tv type I was comfortable putting on top of my dresser) and soon an HD Tivo.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: j00fek
wait till jan-feb and save 1-500$?

or buy the panny 42" plasma for sub $600 now. seriously, folks. people are getting it for this price left and right. I'm considering ebaying the sylvania 42" plasma I bought for $360 on Thanksgiving and getting the panasonic instead

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
if u like plasma...walmart had a 42" for $999 I was there yesterday ...I cant recall the brand name...call them

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Sorry to hear about your luck. Best Buy delivered my 60U yesterday, it's a great set. I got in on the deal from FW. I'll bet that there will be similar deals around Superbowl time if you wait.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I almost bought this tv prior to the sale...why didn't I? I thought it had horrible image quality. The greens were off, the sharpness, no matter how adjsuted, still made things on screen look splotchy and artifact ridden. I don't see why people rave about these sets. If you're going to buy a plasma, pony up for a pioneer or buy a $1000 LCD.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: TheAdvocate
Originally posted by: Ephemeral
The Toshiba REGZAs have received a good amount of praise from AVSFORUM. They also do a pretty nice job of displaying standard definition sources.

http://digital1234.com/product.jsp?x=37HL66

Big fan of mine, so I will echo. Also a dealer on AVS called the 37HL66 one of the best TVs anywhere for any price.

seems expensive to me...considering I paid $999 for my Olevia 37"

BustaBust

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
Buying the receiver and installing means a contract with DTV though, right?

Breaking the contract probably comes with a penalty and the return of the money or a charge for the difference.

If anything, sounds like a 'YMMV'

*Link to FW thread?