Daddy Bush (#41) is going to vote for Hillary Clinton

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If Reagan showed up today and had the same positions he did in the 80's, he'd be shredded in the republican primaries.

That is actually true, but if he had those same positions then he would have gotten shredded as well. The reality is that the public persona, the image he was selling to his base was vastly different than what was actually happening. What makes Reagan revered among most conservatives is not the policies, actions or legislation during his tenure, it was the renewed sense of confidence in America, putting the US back in a position of strength and to stop getting pushed around by idiots around the world who viewed us as soft. Often policies, actions and legislation were not at all in agreement with what conservatives would have wanted, but because they believed in Reagan they were still OK with it whatever was going on. Reagan also had to deal with a hostile democrat congress, but he unlike our current "leaders", he was able to work together with the other side to get things done rather than just whining about them not doing exactly what he wanted.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
What dollar store history books are you getting your history from? Maybe Doc Brown in Back to the Future? The sheer ignorance of this post is pretty impressive.

Reagan was a twice elected, fairly popular governor of California, he finished a close second to a sitting president in Ford in 1976 in the Republican presidential primary, and he was nationally known as a face of conservatism ever since before the Barry Goldwater era. (remember the 1961 'Medicare is the death of freedom nonsense he participated in?)

George HW Bush was the last Republican presidential candidate that I could have voted for. I hope someday Republicans regain their senses and start nominating more people like him.
Lol

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Yep, I respected him for that. He put country before his party. I guess that's why Republicans no longer do that, they saw what happened to H.W..

Yep. Nowadays it's only all about the Benjamins. *rubs thumb and 1st 2 fingers together*

I swear they'd join ISIS if they received enough campaign contributions from Abdul "psychotic for Allah" al Malachi.

Hollyweird should make a remake of Bedtime for Bonzo in HD. GWB could star as Bonzo. Hilary as his mom and Trump as his dad.

Ok I think I've offended everyone goodnight folks.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
And thus he was correctly thrown out of office. I like the guy and he seemed like a reasonably smart guy, but if you jack up taxes 11 times after promising not to raise taxes, you deserve to get tossed out of office.

I strongly suspect your not a good poker player in reality ...

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I'd vote for Clinton over HW, and I have nothing positive to say about her. I'm curious what about him makes some of the left-leaning members of this forum think he would be a good candidate today, aside from raising taxes and still not managing to reduce the deficit.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Yes please go on. I have no idea what you're trying to say. It seems you got your understanding of history from Back to the future.

Yes, yes, yes, all of those sources (left and right) are wrong. The mighty esky is the ultimate arbiter of what is correct and what isn't.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, yes, yes, all of those sources (left and right) are wrong. The mighty esky is the ultimate arbiter of what is correct and what isn't.

I still have no idea what you were even trying to argue as you just linked some opinion pieces and breitbart.

What you said was comically ignorant. It was very easy to expose.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Bush Sr was a scumbag? I'd like to hear the basis for this.
Bush's invasion of Panama was a war of aggression (war crime). Bush was hip deep in the blood of central America.

If you are of the opinion that Bush's announcement that that he is backing Clinton somehow redeems him then you truly are a hopeless partisan hack.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Bush's invasion of Panama was a war of aggression (war crime). Bush was hip deep in the blood of central America.

If you are of the opinion that Bush's announcement that that he is backing Clinton somehow redeems him then you truly are a hopeless partisan hack.

And if you thought that's what I said even after I explained to you what it meant then you are an idiot.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Via CNN, according to sources:

Coming from the old man, this doesn't surprise me a bit. He's old school... they gently blow the dog whistle, not blast it like a fog horn in the way Trump does. :)

Im too young to actually remember much about him, and I dont actually know that much about him, but compared to his sons more fervent neoconservative ideology and rhetoric, George H. W. Bush seems like he was more moderate and restrained realism.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
If Reagan showed up today and had the same positions he did in the 80's, he'd be shredded in the republican primaries.

And yet Trump has some very liberal beliefs and positions, and a very liberal lifestyle. It really wasnt the beliefs and positions that were responsible for the success of Reagan, but the attitude and rhetoric, which were probably very similar to Trump, albeit much more moderate and restrained, and far less batshit crazy and fanatical.