Daddy Bush (#41) is going to vote for Hillary Clinton

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Via CNN, according to sources:

The comments came during a receiving line for board members of the bipartisan Points of Light Foundation when Bush was speaking to Kathleen Hartington Kennedy Townsend, Robert F. Kennedy's daughter and the former Maryland lieutenant governor. There were roughly 40 people in the room, and it's not clear how many people heard him, though multiple sources did.

Coming from the old man, this doesn't surprise me a bit. He's old school... they gently blow the dog whistle, not blast it like a fog horn in the way Trump does. :)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Via CNN, according to sources:

Coming from the old man, this doesn't surprise me a bit. He's old school... they gently blow the dog whistle, not blast it like a fog horn in the way Trump does. :)

I can't blame him. Trump did blowout his son and was a complete dick to him.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I suspect Reagan would vote for Hillary. Hell, he'd probably have voted for Obama twice.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I suspect Reagan would vote for Hillary. Hell, he'd probably have voted for Obama twice.
Keep in mind, Reagan was the original republican trump. Nobody liked him, nobody thought he'd win, nobody thought a movie star could do it, nobody thought he was a republican...etc.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
He granted Amnesty to Illegals.
In order to bust the unions and drive down wages while showing how cowardly the democrats were, when they went along with it betraying the working class who supported the democrat party for decades, for illegals.
http://www.thomhartmann.com/articles/2006/03/illegal-workers-cons-secret-weapon
One of the tools conservatives have used very successfully over the past 25 years to drive down wages, bust unions, and increase CEO salaries has been to encourage illegal immigrant labor in the US.

The Democrats deserve Trump as much if not more so than the Republicans.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
'Read my lips, I'm going to vote for Hillary Clinton." The story would be a lot more believable if it involved someone without a history of publicly promising one thing and doing a complete 180 not long after. But if he does think Clinton is the better choice and proceeds to vote that way, more power to him. That's what democracy is all about and I respect his choice. I doubt his announcement will influence many people though, I don't care if Jesus, Mohammed, or Krishna himself came down and said they were voting for Clinton or Trump I'm still pulling the lever for Johnson and would never vote for either of the two assclowns under any circumstances.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Keep in mind, Reagan was the original republican trump. Nobody liked him, nobody thought he'd win, nobody thought a movie star could do it, nobody thought he was a republican...etc.

Total BS-Reagan was nothing like Trump except that he too was a great salesman and was also old when he ran for President..

Reagan proved his political ability prior to being President by being the (GOP) governor of California and also being a two term leader of the screen actors guild. As to your claim that no one thought he was a Republican-his speech in favor of Goldwater in 1964 could have saved that sorry campaign if Goldwater actually used it. I never in my entire life heard anyone say Reagan wasn't a Republican.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
No way, establishment guy will vote for establishment candidate?

I've always thought pretty highly of HW Bush (other than that whole "no new taxes" flip), I have no problem with him deciding to go with the scumbag over the jackass.

Feb 4, 2009
Meh if anything this will hurt Hillary. Voters are running from the establishment this cycle. Bush is pretty establishment.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What dollar store history books are you getting your history from? Maybe Doc Brown in Back to the Future? The sheer ignorance of this post is pretty impressive.

Reagan was a twice elected, fairly popular governor of California, he finished a close second to a sitting president in Ford in 1976 in the Republican presidential primary, and he was nationally known as a face of conservatism ever since before the Barry Goldwater era. (remember the 1961 'Medicare is the death of freedom nonsense he participated in?)

George HW Bush was the last Republican presidential candidate that I could have voted for. I hope someday Republicans regain their senses and start nominating more people like him.

Reactions: MongGrel

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
What dollar store history books are you getting your history from? Maybe Doc Brown in Back to the Future? The sheer ignorance of this post is pretty impressive.

Reagan was a twice elected, fairly popular governor of California, he finished a close second to a sitting president in Ford in 1976 in the Republican presidential primary, and he was nationally known as a face of conservatism ever since before the Barry Goldwater era. (remember the 1961 'Medicare is the death of freedom nonsense he participated in?)

George HW Bush was the last Republican presidential candidate that I could have voted for. I hope someday Republicans regain their senses and start nominating more people like him.

And he raised taxes like 11 times.

I think the incoming smear campaign on HW is going to be of an extremely detestable nature. Agree he was the last "reasonable" GOP candidate for POTUS. Then again, he'd be a moderate democrat today. Likely the same as St. Ronny.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
And he raised taxes like 11 times.

And thus he was correctly thrown out of office. I like the guy and he seemed like a reasonably smart guy, but if you jack up taxes 11 times after promising not to raise taxes, you deserve to get tossed out of office.

I think the incoming smear campaign on HW is going to be of an extremely detestable nature. Agree he was the last "reasonable" GOP candidate for POTUS. Then again, he'd be a moderate democrat today. Likely the same as St. Ronny.

Smear not found. He's part of the establishment, I'm not surprised he'd prefer the establishment candidate over someone else who trashed his son in an ugly primary campaign.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
And thus he was correctly thrown out of office. I like the guy and he seemed like a reasonably smart guy, but if you jack up taxes 11 times after promising not to raise taxes, you deserve to get tossed out of office.

Smear not found. He's part of the establishment, I'm not surprised he'd prefer the establishment candidate over someone else who trashed his son in an ugly primary campaign.

Reagan raised taxes 11 times. You know, the guy the GOP worships?

I said incoming smear campaign. It's kind of already hinted at in Conway's "92 year old" reference when first addressing the issue. Just wait. Trump (and his campaign) haven't ever run across someone that doesn't get thrown under the bus when they disagree in the slightest.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Meh if anything this will hurt Hillary. Voters are running from the establishment this cycle. Bush is pretty establishment.
My thought also. Not sure how this really needs to be brought to the forefront. Yea, we get it, the Dems can get some crossover voters, but it just emphasizes that she's the establishment choice. I hope this just quietly goes away.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I hope this just quietly goes away.

Not to worry, the media is waiting for the illary campaign to tell them what to do with the story. Spin it as an anti-Trump thing or let it go quietly, whichever works best for her ;)

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Total BS-Reagan was nothing like Trump except that he too was a great salesman and was also old when he ran for President..

Reagan proved his political ability prior to being President by being the (GOP) governor of California and also being a two term leader of the screen actors guild. As to your claim that no one thought he was a Republican-his speech in favor of Goldwater in 1964 could have saved that sorry campaign if Goldwater actually used it. I never in my entire life heard anyone say Reagan wasn't a Republican.

If Reagan showed up today and had the same positions he did in the 80's, he'd be shredded in the republican primaries.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
If Reagan showed up today and had the same positions he did in the 80's, he'd be shredded in the republican primaries.
Correct. That gun-controlling (Brady Bill and others), abortion increasing (Therapeutic Abortion Act), tax increasing (mostly loophole closes), big government (federal spending as percent of GDP was much higher than the average of presidents around him), amnesty giving god of Republicans would be trashed. Oddly, Reagan would be trashed by the same people who claim that he was the best president ever.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
No way, establishment guy will vote for establishment candidate?

I've always thought pretty highly of HW Bush (other than that whole "no new taxes" flip), I have no problem with him deciding to go with the scumbag over the jackass.

That's funny. I always thought highly of HW Bush because of the "no new taxes" flip. He had to have known it would be an unpopular decision but he did it anyway for the benefit of the economy.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Not to worry, the media is waiting for the illary campaign to tell them what to do with the story. Spin it as an anti-Trump thing or let it go quietly, whichever works best for her ;)
I guess this reaction is what one calls a tick.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That's funny. I always thought highly of HW Bush because of the "no new taxes" flip. He had to have known it would be an unpopular decision but he did it anyway for the benefit of the economy.

Yep, I respected him for that. He put country before his party. I guess that's why Republicans no longer do that, they saw what happened to H.W..